The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

Just now, riffraff said:

I know it’s a blanket statement Ryan but there is truth to it.

Well sure there is but people in every province live outside their means. I'm from Penticton and know a bunch of people there that are super extended and have no savings. It's a issue across North America tbh.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well we are the richest province. How do BCers feel about low wages, high taxes and a province that caters to chinese investment that pushes BCers out of the housing market?

Btw I love how paying doctors, nurses, teachers, etc, building highways, hospitals and schools all while having no pst, tolls or msp is a waste of money.

My in-laws all lived (some still do) in Calgary.  They moved their for jobs (many years ago) in the oil industry.  They made enough money in oil to buy up farms south of the city.  Many of them moved here, mostly the Island, to retire.  Some stayed in Calgary, but bought winter homes here.  They all love Alberta, but just don’t want to winter there.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Well sure there is but people in every province live outside their means. I'm from Penticton and know a bunch of people there that are super extended and have no savings. It's a issue across North America tbh.

No it’s true.  Plenty of bcers loaded with monetary debt from it too.

Just now, Alflives said:

My in-laws all lived (some still do) in Calgary.  They moved their for jobs (many years ago) in the oil industry.  They made enough money in oil to buy up farms south of the city.  Many of them moved here, mostly the Island, to retire.  Some stayed in Calgary, but bought winter homes here.  They all love Alberta, but just don’t want to winter there.  

Can you blame them? February averaged like minus 30 this year lol

I love the island. I would move there but I don't smoke pot, so I likely wouldn't fit in.:gocan:

• Haha 2

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Can you blame them? February averaged like minus 30 this year lol

I love the island. I would move there but I don't smoke pot, so I likely wouldn't fit in.:gocan:

The family living here sure were shocked when Alberta elected the NDP.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The family living here sure were shocked when Alberta elected the NDP.  

We all were. Protest vote and people were mad when Prentice told us to look in the mirror and introduced a bunch of taxes. So many pc voted wild rose and the vote was split. The ndp only won one seat in Calgary where they had more votes than the wildrose and pc's.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We all were. Protest vote and people were mad when Prentice told us to look in the mirror and introduced a bunch of taxes. So many pc voted wild rose and the vote was split. The ndp only won one seat in Calgary where they had more votes than the wildrose and pc's.

Looks like more and more Albertans are finally starting to demand a more diversified economy.  Probably a sound decision to finally elect a party ( NDP ) that will be more responsible with the Alberta economy / oil revenue.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

In our political system, it’s never good for two parties, that are philosophically similar, to run against each other.  All they usually accomplish is splitting the voters, who share that view, which (by default) elects their opposite view.  

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why Alberta / Albertans deserve some decent financial management for a change..... ?

They all spent their earring years there, and did really well.  They were shocked the province would change ideology.  I don’t think many of them had much need for social programs though, so they wouldn’t have seen that side of things.  Their kids did go through the Alberta school system, played sports, and all did well.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They all spent their earring years there, and did really well.  They were shocked the province would change ideology.  I don’t think many of them had much need for social programs though, so they wouldn’t have seen that side of things.  Their kids did go through the Alberta school system, played sports, and all did well.  

Alberta has a decent public education system for sure....

I think Albertans finally realized  / had enough of their provincial government wasting so much of their oil revenues and not investing in the long term health of the province....  That is why they voted for better economic management  / investment policy of their province with the NDP. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I think Albertans finally realized  / had enough of their provincial government wasting so much of their oil revenues and not investing in the long term health of the province....  That is why they voted for better economic management  / investment policy of their province with the NDP. 

Could be.  I really don’t know much about that, except for what the Wife’s family says.  I get the sense, the previous generation of Albertans really hate left wing ideology.  Hey!  Maybe so many have moved here, there’s too few left in Alberta, and that’s the real reason for the recent NDP success there?  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could be.  I really don’t know much about that, except for what the Wife’s family says.  I get the sense, the previous generation of Albertans really hate left wing ideology.  Hey!  Maybe so many have moved here, there’s too few left in Alberta, and that’s the real reason for the recent NDP success there?  :lol:

Boom and Bust Alberta  economy has left many Alberta feeling  frustrated and disappointed would be my guess. 

My niece is a Calgary Lawyer ....  would love to move back to BC but  the real estate market changes in the last few years have made that process much more difficult. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

The pc's invested heavy in education. Nice try.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

People moving to BC to retire is becoming an issue. They're a massive drain on our health care and have never really paid into it here.