The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

52 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would prefer the freedom conservative party but they're only running in about a 3rd of the ridings.

OK fair enough, but where's the line for you personally? 

Provincially for me I just couldn't vote for Clark in good conscience given how off the rails she was, even though the thought of another NDP dynasty was hard to take, so I voted Green (and I still blame @aGENT for that one). 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Provincially for me I just couldn't vote for Clark in good conscience given how off the rails she was, even though the thought of another NDP dynasty was hard to take, so I voted Green (and I still blame @aGENT for that one). 

You may choose painful, terminal cancer, stretching on the rack, or pineapple up the keester. 

6f2tpicxins11.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well I have UCP, Green, liberal, AP and ndp in my riding. I don't want Alberta destroyed, or a 15% hst or a tax and spend ndp and Mandel is kind of a moron himself but has looked good because the two main morons do all the fighting.

Hippy keeps praising the Alberta economy.

Economy: The NDP has for a long time pushed the line that Alberta’s recovery must reach everyone, so ideas focus on job creation and diversification. It may prove a tough sell for Albertans, though, with the latest employment figures showing a higher unemployment rate despite the creation of more jobs. Then there’s the latest fiscal update. Although the projected deficit fell by $1.9 billion, the Conference Board of Canada has predicted Alberta will have the lowest projected growth rate of any province.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Economy: The NDP has for a long time pushed the line that Alberta’s recovery must reach everyone, so ideas focus on job creation and diversification. It may prove a tough sell for Albertans, though, with the latest employment figures showing a higher unemployment rate despite the creation of more jobs. Then there’s the latest fiscal update. Although the projected deficit fell by $1.9 billion, the Conference Board of Canada has predicted Alberta will have the lowest projected growth rate of any province.

Huh...weird, I guess they changed their minds?  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/conference-board-provincial-outlook-canada-alberta-economy-1.5035319

From last to 1st in growth by 2020

But Bernard says several factors will help propel Alberta's economic growth rate from last place this year to first place — at 3.5 per cent — in 2020.

"Positive signals on the oil front have improved the outlook in the oil and gas sector," Bernard said. 

conference-board-chart-gdp-growth-2019.J
Alberta's economy is expected to grow by just 1.3 per cent in 2019. (Conference Board of Canada)

conference-board-gdp-forecast-2020.JPG
In 2020, Alberta is predicted to surge to first place from last place among the provinces in terms of economic growth. (Conference Board of Canada)

Mandatory oil production cuts that pushed oil inventory levels five million barrels below 2018 levels have helped to shore up Western Canadian Select prices.

And investment is expected to accelerate in 2020 as those production cuts are lifted and as clean power initiatives go ahead, such as Suncor's replacement of coke-fired boilers with natural gas-fired units. Imperial Oil's Aspen project will also be entering its second year of construction, Bernard notes.

This year, employment is expected to get a 1.1 per cent bump — with a gain of 8.8 per cent in the manufacturing sector — partly driven by ramped up production at the new Sturgeon Refinery near Edmonton.

conference-board-jobs.JPG

Several big projects in Alberta's energy sector are forecast to help boost employment over the next several years, the Conference Board of Canada says. (Conference Board of Canada)

• Upvote 1

I'm sure we've seen this before....

In a new report published by the Alberta Federation of Labour, economist Hugh Mackenzie says the UCP’s plan to slash Alberta’s corporate tax rate to 8% over four years would ultimately leave a $7 billion shortfall in public funds. Since Kenney promised to deliver a “balanced budget” by 2022-23, a UCP government would need to make massive cuts in public spending to recuperate.

Mackenzie noted that would require a 12% reduction in public expenditures —leading to massive cuts in public services and public sector employment.

Those cuts alone would directly reduce the province’s GDP by 2.5%, and eliminate 27,700 public-sector jobs over four years. But Kenney’s $3.7 billion corporate giveaway wouldn’t only gut public-sector jobs.

Mackenzie found the UCP’s corporate-friendly fiscal platform would also lead to the elimination of 30,600 private sector jobs.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm sure we've seen this before....

In a new report published by the Alberta Federation of Labour, economist Hugh Mackenzie says the UCP’s plan to slash Alberta’s corporate tax rate to 8% over four years would ultimately leave a $7 billion shortfall in public funds. Since Kenney promised to deliver a “balanced budget” by 2022-23, a UCP government would need to make massive cuts in public spending to recuperate.

Mackenzie noted that would require a 12% reduction in public expenditures —leading to massive cuts in public services and public sector employment.

Those cuts alone would directly reduce the province’s GDP by 2.5%, and eliminate 27,700 public-sector jobs over four years. But Kenney’s $3.7 billion corporate giveaway wouldn’t only gut public-sector jobs.

Mackenzie found the UCP’s corporate-friendly fiscal platform would also lead to the elimination of 30,600 private sector jobs.

If only we had examples of how voodoo economics work out for public services.   Kansas comes to mind.  As does TRUMP'S tax cuts.   Any reason why they proposed to gut 10% of the education budget,  including funding for special Olympics?  The tax cuts led to the deficit ballooning.   Now they come with empty pockets for social programs saying they have no money and need to cut.

The ONLY way this isn't repeated is if oil prices rebound to near record levels.  Kenny will have nothing to do with that.  He'll spin it his way and the moron marks will buy it up.  There's one poster who will be right there.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

If only we had examples of how voodoo economics work out for public services.   Kansas comes to mind.  As does TRUMP'S tax cuts.   Any reason why they proposed to gut 10% of the education budget,  including funding for special Olympics?  The tax cuts led to the deficit ballooning.   Now they come with empty pockets for social programs saying they have no money and need to cut.

The ONLY way this isn't repeated is if oil prices rebound to near record levels.  Kenny will have nothing to do with that.  He'll spin it his way and the moron marks will buy it up.  There's one poster who will be right there.

We've seen this in Canada too.

Harper cut taxes promising to create jobs.  

In 8 years the actually employment rate dropped by .2% and he ran 8 consecutive deficits.

There's decades of data from numerous countries that show quite clearly what will happen but people won't listen.  Welfare for people ='s bad.  Welfare for business ='s good.  Because business hires me

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:10 PM, Ryan Strome said:

its interesting that UCP/CPC guys use the excuse that deficits were OK under Harper because he was hit with a recession. So was Notley but you want to blame her.

You guys are dangerous, if there's nothing that would get you to consider another major party AND you swallow everything Kenney is putting out why even have elections? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:10 PM, Ryan Strome said:

On 4/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, Warhippy said:

Huh...weird, I guess they changed their minds?  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/conference-board-provincial-outlook-canada-alberta-economy-1.5035319

From last to 1st in growth by 2020

But Bernard says several factors will help propel Alberta's economic growth rate from last place this year to first place — at 3.5 per cent — in 2020.

"Positive signals on the oil front have improved the outlook in the oil and gas sector," Bernard said. 

Spoiler

conference-board-chart-gdp-growth-2019.J
Alberta's economy is expected to grow by just 1.3 per cent in 2019. (Conference Board of Canada)

conference-board-gdp-forecast-2020.JPG
In 2020, Alberta is predicted to surge to first place from last place among the provinces in terms of economic growth. (Conference Board of Canada)

Mandatory oil production cuts that pushed oil inventory levels five million barrels below 2018 levels have helped to shore up Western Canadian Select prices.

And investment is expected to accelerate in 2020 as those production cuts are lifted and as clean power initiatives go ahead, such as Suncor's replacement of coke-fired boilers with natural gas-fired units. Imperial Oil's Aspen project will also be entering its second year of construction, Bernard notes.

This year, employment is expected to get a 1.1 per cent bump — with a gain of 8.8 per cent in the manufacturing sector — partly driven by ramped up production at the new Sturgeon Refinery near Edmonton.

conference-board-jobs.JPG

Several big projects in Alberta's energy sector are forecast to help boost employment over the next several years, the Conference Board of Canada says. (Conference Board of Canada)

This just in. Oil and gas industry fluctuates. A lot.

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Oil only goes down because of something a Trudeau or Notley did. Up on conservative principles. 

Get with the program/programming man. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My take on this is after 50 years of PC rule in Alberta, being one of the top 3 safe energy producers in the world (safe meaning no issue with conflict or environmental conditions) Alberta had a $30 billion hole when the NDP took over.  They were on the downswing.  They had less than $16 billion saved in the heritage fund.

Alberta is now set to bounce back and start climbing again, left the recession without oil for the first time since the 70s; did not diminish the heritage fund to do it and is set to be a national leader again.

Jobs have been lost, oil is still in the tanks, there is now apparent movement on the pipeline (approval expected by June) but none meaningful have been built and this is somehow all Notley fault so they'll rush to put in the same kind of leadership they had to end the PCs 50 year run.

It's like happily going back to an abusive relationship

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its interesting that UCP/CPC guys use the excuse that deficits were OK under Harper because he was hit with a recession. So was Notley but you want to blame her.

You guys are dangerous, if there's nothing that would get you to consider another major party AND you swallow everything Kenney is putting out why even have elections? 

You forgot as well, Trudeau is corrupt and immoral and unethical but Kenney is too but it's ok because he's not Notley or Trudeau and even though I have issues with the way Trudeau has acted because Kenney is my guy I'll accept it and vote for him anyway but no way will I vote for Trudeau because he's unethical corrupt and immoral

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You forgot as well, Trudeau is corrupt and immoral and unethical but Kenney is too but it's ok because he's not Notley or Trudeau and even though I have issues with the way Trudeau has acted because Kenney is my guy I'll accept it and vote for him anyway but no way will I vote for Trudeau because he's unethical corrupt and immoral

which way to the polls?

giphy.gif

If you'd like some irony for your breakfast this morning.

There ALDP has announced that orphaned wells and sites in Alberta will cost an estimated $40 billion to $70 billion to clean up.  After 50 years of PC rule allowing producers to walk, or dissolve their shell companies and walk.  This is a massive amount to clean up.

And how do the parties suggest we clean it up you ask?  Well here is the ironic part.  Only 2 parties have plans that have any hope of winning seats in Alberta.  One is effectively going to fight for the landowners affected and will change rules forcing corps and shell companies to clean them up.

The other party...has threatened the feds, has threatened the nation and is promising to take the feds to court for X Y and Z but is also planning to request the nation pay and federal money go in to pay for it.  On one hand screw the feds, we want to renegotiate everything, you don't care about us, we're done supporting you we're going to take you all to court.  On the other...please sir, give us monies to clean up the mess we made.

Look, both plans make some sense, but how the hell can you honestly swear to fight the feds, say they don't care, then make it easier for companies to walk away, give them tax breaks and ask the rest of the country to pay for it all?

Alberta Party: No specific campaign promise or party policy.  

NDP: To give landowners more certainty, we will implement clear timelines for when companies need to clean up their abandoned oil and gas wells and require them to justify delays in reclaiming sites. We will also implement new corporate health measures on asset sales to prevent liability dumping as we continue to work with industry and the Orphan Wells Association to accelerate remediation of the orphan wells inventory.  

UCP: Streamline the process for well and facility abandonment and environmental reclamation to reduce costs and increase the rate at which wells that will not be used again are officially "abandoned." Work jointly with the AER and industry to overhaul the liability management framework in Alberta, ensuring liabilities are covered without unduly discouraging new investment. Propose that the federal government provide tax incentives and financial support such as "green" flow-through shares for the abandonment and environmental reclamation of oil and gas wells and associated surface facilities. Urge the federal government to establish alternative financial vehicles that focus on environmental reclamation in the oil and gas industry, such as adapting Qualifying Environmental Trusts (QET) to include well decommissioning costs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/orphan-wells-alberta-aldp-aer-1.5089254

I know this won't matter to some ITT, (they might even applaud it) but along with the "discussion" of whether Kenney will be good for Alberta, is this story, which shows he'll certainly be bad for BC:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/see-you-in-court-bc-responds-to-jason-kenneys-threat-to-turn-off-the-taps-day-1-if-elected/ar-BBVK2YS?li=AAggXBV

British Columbia's Attorney General is firing back at threats by Alberta United Conservative Party (UCP) leader Jason Kenney to "turn off the taps" and restrict gasoline shipments on day one, if he's elected premier.

“We have been concerned about the constitutionality of that legislation since it was introduced in Alberta’s legislature," said David Eby on Monday.

"Our government is prepared to act through the courts if they proceed in that way.”

Earlier Monday, Kenney renewed his threat to use legislation to cut oil and gas shipments to B.C. if it continues to "obstruct" the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

“In recent days, Lower Mainland B.C. has been paying through the nose for gasoline,” said Kenney.

“Unless John Horgan ends his unconstitutional fight against Alberta energy exports, the people of B.C. will need to get used to paying well over $1.70/L for gas as the result of NDP anti-pipeline obstructionism.”

The Alberta NDP passed Bill 12 — legislation to direct truckers, pipeline companies and rail operators on how much product could be shipped and when — last spring. However, the bill was not proclaimed into force or used.

Kenney slammed the NDP for not using the legislation, calling it a "phony fight for pipelines."

"Within an hour of being sworn in, we will hold a cabinet meeting, and the first item on the agenda will be to proclaim into law bill 12, the 'turn off the taps' legislation," he said.

For many years, Alberta has been in a neck and neck competition for the most hated province by British Columbians. (mainly thanks to the Calgary Flames) Now it appears as as though BC will have another reason to dislike Albertans. (Not that we need one)

Again, I'd expect the response to be something akin to "who cares what BC thinks" and I suppose that's their prerogative. However, as someone who lives in a fishing town, I know how many people cross the Rockies every summer to take advantage of our ocean, lakes and rivers.

Although I would never take any action personally, i can't speak for everyone in the province, so I'd advise folks with Alberta plates to carry extra insurance when visiting this year.