The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UCP Alberta Government - Threatens to Turn off Oil Taps

DonLever

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Then go work for yourself and hire people and be less "greedy".   I don't think most have clue how hard it is to take all the risks of being an "owner".    Go ahead and start your own firm and then see how you "treat" your employees.

I could easily go out on my own but money doesn't motivate me as much these days. I've got some bread and balogna bundles that I've tucked away. 

I am a director for a division of companies.

I get tired of discussing the 'variable' cost that is payroll to the principles and shareholders.

The increase of BC's min wage to $15.20 by 2021 is something we are already trying to budget and it's hard. We have over 700 employees throughout the group, about 80 in my division. 

You an owner?

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

My experience with most employers is that most are as greedy AF.

It's age discrimination in my opinion. Same job, same pay.

Haha same job, same pay, it’s that really what people believe now a days, no wonder the world is so backwards. 

People get paid based on the value they bring back in return to the company. The more valuable you are, the harder it is to replace you, the more money you make. 

People with no work experience don’t typically bring the same skillset as someone who’s been there for 2 years, therefor tend to get paid less. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha same job, same pay, it’s that really what people believe now a days, no ones the world is so backwards.

I agree, it does read like that sometimes. Anyway, don't blame the world for my words. Just one bishop here. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People get paid based on the value they bring back in return to the company. The more valuable you are, the harder it is to replace you, the more money you make. 

People with no work experience don’t typically bring the same skillset as someone who’s been there for 2 years, therefor tend to get paid less.

I thought we were talking entry level, no experience needed type jobs. Minimum wage jobs.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree, it does read like that sometimes. Anyway, don't blame the world for my words. Just one bishop here. 

I thought we were talking entry level, no experience needed type jobs. Minimum wage jobs.

Yes.::D

42 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It’s a discipline and commitment to creating a positive environment for your employees.  A respected and “happy” worker is a productive worker.  Speaking first hand if a an employee causes you to treat him/her without respect then they are not fit for the job, or you are a poor/inexperienced employer.  I look at my employees as humans as well as investments.  I’m a working boss so I’m present most days.  Because of this I try to create a productive, safe, and enjoyable work space.  I certainly have hired and fired because the better of the group is paramount.  Just like the chemistry and make up of a any team.

Further to that point, most managers learn that being a hardass doesn't pay off in the long run. (either that, or they stop being managers before too long)

One of the biggest hidden costs to employers is the training and relative lack of productivity of new employees. Treat them like dirt and they'll leave to work for someone who won't. It's minimum wage. No-one is staying there for the money.

If you're constantly turning your staff over, you're losing money.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha same job, same pay, it’s that really what people believe now a days, no wonder the world is so backwards. 

That's right. If you have someone who gets those fries to the drive through window two seconds faster than everyone else, you're gonna want to pay him extra....B)

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There’s just so much entitlement. Everyone thinks because they were born they deserve the world to bend over backwards for there every ask. 

There’s different experience in all jobs, even entry level ones. 

And there’s a big difference between hiring a person who’s hours are flexible vs the kid who only available to work a few odd hours on weeknights. There’s a big different in confidence, effort level and efficiency, all things that go into a persons wage.  

One thing people seem to forget Is, this is min wage, not the only wage. The better worker you are the more you will earn regardless of your age. 

I’ll say it again. This is a solution to direct effect of the rise of min wage. Youth are the ones who are affected the most. Its why other countries with high min wage, have already implementing the same system to combat the issue. 

Australia and even the Scandinavian countries (who don’t technically have min wage) have different wage rates for employees based on there age. These are the countries the left uses as examples to emulate yet when when we do. People still find things to whine about. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's right. If you have someone who gets those fries to the drive through window two seconds faster than everyone else, you're gonna want to pay him extra....B)

How about showing up to work on time, reliability and being accountable. or having flexible full time working hours. Quality, effort and efficiency all play a part. 

Do people here not understand pay in the workforce?  

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How about showing up to work on time, reliability and being accountable. or having flexible full time working hours. Quality, effort and efficiency all play a part. 

Do people here not understand pay in the workforce?  

As I said earlier, I have managed several businesses in my 58 years. I understand it well.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s just so much entitlement. Everyone thinks because they were born they deserve the world to bend over backwards for there every ask. 

Actually, one of the reasons I'm leaving my well paying job is that I am tired of being a boss. Entitlement has been one of the qualities that has been a growing frustration. Not many hard workers these days.

47 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s different experience in all jobs, even entry level ones. 

And there’s a big difference between hiring a person who’s hours are flexible vs the kid who only available to work a few odd hours on weeknights. There’s a big different in confidence, effort level and efficiency, all things that go into a persons wage.  

One thing people seem to forget Is, this is min wage, not the only wage. The better worker you are the more you will earn regardless of your age. 

I’ll say it again. This is a solution to direct effect of the rise of min wage. Youth are the ones who are affected the most. Its why other countries with high min wage, have already implementing the same system to combat the issue. 

Australia and even the Scandinavian countries (who don’t technically have min wage) have different wage rates for employees based on there age. These are the countries the left uses as examples to emulate yet when when we do. People still find things to whine about. 

I agree with some of this.

Again though I was addressing specifically minimum wage low/no skill starter jobs. My point was, the idea that stingy employers may hire more kids for the discount and leave poor adults with bills to pay out still looking for work. It would be a strategy to control that payroll target. 

What's kinda gross is one of my KPI's is a payroll percentage. I get a bonus  for hitting my goal... I directly get paid to squeeze my employees, have them as a group make less. Very common.   I can do this by also getting more total sales or better COGS management but if that doesn't work...its a trickle down punishment.

42 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

??

If minimum wage is a living wage for an adult, then it does not have to be the same for minors, since minors are not required to pay rent. 

Well that's a debate all itself, it's probably supposed to be.

53 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Feel free to make that argument to ministry of welfare. 

I did not know that you were employed by the Ministry of Social services.

Seems like it would be beneath your massive qualifications, but good on you for helping those that need it.

Just now, gurn said:

I did not know that you were employed by the Ministry of Social services.

Seems like it would be beneath your massive qualifications, but good on you for helping those that need it.

How does my comments make me employee of Minister of Social services ?

I simply pointed out that if you wish you need income assistance, make that case to the appropriate authority. 

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I have just decided that I have more economic burdens than canuckistani, who ever is paying him please send half of his income to me.

"who ever is paying him please send half of his income to me."

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Feel free to make that argument to ministry of welfare. 

who ever is paying him please send half of his income to me.

19 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

How does my comments make me employee of Minister of Social services ?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

"who ever is paying him please send half of his income to me."

who ever is paying him please send half of his income to me.

still does not make any sense. Just because you need income assistance does not mean you get to directly raid the income of the rich.