The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Matt Niskanen

Top 4 D-man on the capitals. 32 yr old, RHD, similar game to Edler’s. Signed 2 more years after this one at 5.75 million per year. 

Why Capitlas would like to trade him:

Niskanen is a fixture in their top 4 but he’s got a high cap hit and they need cap space bad next season. Vrana needs a new contract and their going to lose a couple other forwards to FA. They may be will to part ways with Niskanen for cheap in order to get some cap relief. 

Why it it works for the Canucks:

Niskanen, while not a top pairing D-man, provides instant relief to the Canucks bare bones right side. His contract expires the same year as Petterson’s and Hughes’s contracts so he won’t stop the Canucks from signing their young guys. Serves as a place holder until joulevi or woo or some other young D they aquire is ready to step in. I believe he could be had for cheap. 

Proposal:

To caps:

-Biega

-Young forward (virtanen? Baertschi? Goldobin?)

-pick to even out value

to Van:

Niskanen

washing in the past has traded for value defensemen (Kempny, Jensen) who play for cheap. Biega is only 825K next year and would be a great 3rd pairing Dman for them behind Jensen and Carlson. I added a young forward who could fill in for the spot haglin will leave behind as a UFA. Then a pick (don’t know what round it would have to be) to even the value. 

Canucks give up a lot here admittedly, but it fills a hole the desperately need filled and frankly they have to shed some forwards anyways so I think it’s worth payment. 

very hard to assess the trade proposal given the time of year

2 things though.. make me skeptical

cdc likes to make proposals where we get 1 player and give up multiples

that always means we get the best players

makes it feel like a homer proposal right off the bat

washington is at contract limit, 50/50, they do not just have a cap problem

what is unknown presently is which of these 50 caps may shed in the off season

currently they cannot do the trade.. but that could change soon enough

doubt caps think much of your effort to pump biega.. who is really .. what ? a 7 or 8 dman on a bottom 10 team in the league

not really much upside there for a team intent on chasing the cup again next season

so the proposal really is about anticipating a cap need to dump salary..

i doubt they do so at the discount you are suggesting though

and i know, i do know about nic dowd

but he is not at all comparable to biega's situation

we signed beagle from the caps

and shed dowd, basically giving him to the caps for free

the paid no asset to acquire him

if niskanen is traded

it will much more likely be for 1 asset closer in value to his worth

not a grab bag of goodies

The problem with dealing with teams that are having cap trouble, is that they always want picks or prospects in return.  They don't want NHL ready players that will put them over the cap.

I would look at Detroit for 2 players that could be a great fit for the Canuck.  It would probably mean giving up the 10th overall though (Yeah, this would be tough to swallow, but I think it makes the team better.

Canucks get Bowey(RD) and Bertuzzi (L/R W). 

Bowey has a good point shot, skates well and is a physical player.  He struggled in TB due to so many great dmen.  Hasn't had many games with the Wings.   He would look pretty good alongside Hughes.

Burtuzzi is coming into his own and putting up some decent points.  He can also skate well and play a physical game.  Canucks become a much tougher team to play against with these 2 players.  He can play on the left or right side, so could play on Bo or Pete's line.

They were both drafted the same year as Horvat.

Detroit ends up with 6 and 10 in the draft this year.  They have Hronek (RD) and Zadina (LW) banging on the door to join the team and would easily replace Bowie and Bertuzzi.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

The problem with dealing with teams that are having cap trouble, is that they always want picks or prospects in return.  They don't want NHL ready players that will put them over the cap.

I would look at Detroit for 2 players that could be a great fit for the Canuck.  It would probably mean giving up the 10th overall though (Yeah, this would be tough to swallow, but I think it makes the team better.

Bowey has a good point shot, skates well and is a physical player.  He struggled in TB due to so many great dmen.  Hasn't had many games with the Wings.   He would look pretty good alongside Hughes.

Burtuzzi is coming into his own and putting up some decent points.  He can also skate well and play a physical game.  Canucks become a much tougher team to play against with these 2 players.  He can play on the left or right side, so could play on Bo or Pete's line.

Detroit ends up with 6 and 10 in the draft this year.  They have Hronek (RD) and Zadina (LW) banging on the door to join the team and would easily replace Bowie and Bertuzzi.

This is interesting its good value I think. I don't think I would do it because I like the excitement of a new shiny prospect with all of their luster. Bowey and Bert are fairly known commodities at this point and yes I think they both fill a need for us. Its a very good proposal. 

Value sounds about right. But giving up a pick and a good young 3rd liner that brings something no one else really brings on our roster has me thinking no. If they take Goldy, then I’m much more interested. Lol. 

Honestly though, not sure we are in a position where giving up young assets for a 32 year old makes sense. Especially if we could potentially throw similar dollars at Stralman in Free Agency at the cost of no assets but cap and a contract spot.

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It's an interesting proposal and Detroit would probably do it, but I'm not sure we would.  Bowey did get a chance in Washington this year and is hovering pretty close to bust territory, much as a lot of us wanted him a couple of years back.  Think Poulliot.  Bertuzzi would definitely be an upgrade on a lot of our wingers, but the 10th overall might get us someone even better, e.g. Bouldy.  In the mean time, we could try to get rid of the glut of wingers we currently have without the pressure of having added another.  But having another Betuzzi back on our team would be good!

22 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It's an interesting proposal and Detroit would probably do it, but I'm not sure we would.  Bowey did get a chance in Washington this year and is hovering pretty close to bust territory, much as a lot of us wanted him a couple of years back.  Think Poulliot.  Bertuzzi would definitely be an upgrade on a lot of our wingers, but the 10th overall might get us someone even better, e.g. Bouldy.  In the mean time, we could try to get rid of the glut of wingers we currently have without the pressure of having added another.  But having another Betuzzi back on our team would be good!

You might be right about Bowey, but he does have a blazing point shot, fantastic speed and a physical presence, which doesn't make me think of Pouliot.

Detroit has (3) 2nd rounders in this draft...how 'bout Nucks 10th + 4th for Bertuzzi + 2nd (35 overall)?  That way the Canucks get two chances in the 2nd round to pick up a decent RD.  Not sure if Detroit would let go of their 35th overall though.

Bertuzzi had a breakout season and looked tremendous down the stretch.   TB   Pete  Boes  or  Pearson  Bo  TB :bigblush:

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Value sounds about right. But giving up a pick and a good young 3rd liner that brings something no one else really brings on our roster has me thinking no. If they take Goldy, then I’m much more interested. Lol. 

Honestly though, not sure we are in a position where giving up young assets for a 32 year old makes sense. Especially if we could potentially throw similar dollars at Stralman in Free Agency at the cost of no assets but cap and a contract spot.

Ya, a team with depth issues giving up assets for a place holder doesn't wash.  Even if the guy is a short term upgrade.

Honestly, Guddy was not the right guy, but the right idea.  This was the sort of player you would give up assets for.  That is, a player who's best years were in front of him.  Obviously, Guddy was not a fit here and moving on from him was step 1 in remodeling the D.

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, a team with depth issues giving up assets for a place holder doesn't wash.  Even if the guy is a short term upgrade.

Honestly, Guddy was not the right guy, but the right idea.  This was the sort of player you would give up assets for.  That is, a player who's best years were in front of him.  Obviously, Guddy was not a fit here and moving on from him was step 1 in remodeling the D.

I agree. I’m all for giving up young assets if we are getting a youngish asset in return. 

Archived