The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] what Markström next contract look like?

Let him play his final year and earn the contract. He'll be the most motivated he's ever been. Look at Edler becoming our best defenseman last season because of a contract year. With Markstrom playing at his best, Demko would have to up his game even more. And I do believe Demko will take a big step next season.

If we wait till the end of his contract, we will truly see if Markstrom can play under the ultimate pressure: the pressure of no contract. So a bridge deal for Markstrom if we're talking extension this summer. If we're now talking long term; lower cap hit, more years, no NMC.

But if we can put him in a deal for Cory Schneider and you know what, then even better.

I feel like Cory Schneider would do well with Ian Clark despite his injuries.

Goalies are so unpredictable.  As of now, Demko is our future.  Why commit $$$ to Markstrom now when we don't know what we'll get next year.  Everyone, is saying Markstrom was a bright spot for us this year.  When you look at the numbers, his GAA is up and SV% is exactly the same as two years ago, in the same number of games.  The only difference, he has 5 more wins.  Some could argue that these wins came because of a better offensive output and more talent upfront.

Hes 29. I would not sign more than 4.

Lol @ the salty forum trolls complaining about a NMC. Like we will be contending for the cup like then

Anything more than 4 handicaps the team way more than a NMC. 6 mil for the first 2 years is good value he should not decline barring injury.

For the last 2 years if he starts to regress we have young backups to play harder starts and ease the load on his body to counter the age effect.

As long as both goalies combined is less than 7.5 mil we should be ok capwise.

Hell the no NMC would prob be enough of a chip to get him to sign at 5.25x4years anyway

We can afford to hand out 1. The younger guys wont want one yet. The idea of playing in so many different cities and teams is awesome.

I'd sign Eddie lack to a two-year, one way contract and bury him down in the minors as an insurance policy. I'd look to either move Markstrom at the trade deadline or re-sign him for 1 year at 6 million or two years at 5.5 million depending on how Demko plays. 

2 hours ago, HughMungus said:

Hes 29. I would not sign more than 4.

Lol @ the salty forum trolls complaining about a NMC. Like we will be contending for the cup like then

Anything more than 4 handicaps the team way more than a NMC. 6 mil for the first 2 years is good value he should not decline barring injury.

For the last 2 years if he starts to regress we have young backups to play harder starts and ease the load on his body to counter the age effect.

As long as both goalies combined is less than 7.5 mil we should be ok capwise.

Hell the no NMC would prob be enough of a chip to get him to sign at 5.25x4years anyway

We can afford to hand out 1. The younger guys wont want one yet. The idea of playing in so many different cities and teams is awesome.

NMC means he has to be protected for the expansion draft. Teams can only protect 1 goalie, so Demko would have to be left unprotected. no worth it at all.

IMO you offer him the Koskinen deal this Summer (3 years, 4.5 mill per year, 15 team no trade list, basically no bonuses).

Would be hard for him to say no to something like that, but its still very tradeable if needed, can be exposed to Seattle if its clear that Demko can step into #1 spot, and can be bought out if things don't pan out. takes him to the age of 33 as it would kick in in 2020.

Low risk but if he plays as well over the next 4 years like he did this year it could be a steal.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, xereau said:

2x4mil final show me. If he continues his stellar play he will be 30.  And we reup at 6x6.

He's 29 right now and still has one year left. a 2x4 will bring him to age 32, not 30. also doubt he signs for that term or AAV considering contracts signed over the last couple years like Mason, Allen, Koskinen, Raanta, Lehner, Martin Jones, Scott Darling, and others that will be used as comparables

• Upvote 1

ZERO rush to pay this guy, let him play into 2020 before considering locking him up with term. See if he can keep the good run going from this past season, also give Demko some more games hopefully to see where he is at. 

I'd rather see him play out his contract, see if Demko has made enough advancement to take over. If Demko has not then relook at a realistic goal, how long will Demko take, will Demko even get to #1 status. How is Mikey's development, when can he realistically be with the team...  Did Markstrom continue where he left off, or did he recede in his play. Too many questions to throw money at right now

On 5/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, timberz21 said:

Goalies are so unpredictable.  As of now, Demko is our future.  Why commit $$$ to Markstrom now when we don't know what we'll get next year.  Everyone, is saying Markstrom was a bright spot for us this year.  When you look at the numbers, his GAA is up and SV% is exactly the same as two years ago, in the same number of games.  The only difference, he has 5 more wins.  Some could argue that these wins came because of a better offensive output and more talent upfront.

Do you really believe this? Or are you just trying to make discussion? Markstrom was definitely better this season then any previous, not even close. I thought he had potential when he went to Calder cup. He didn’t meet expectations till this season, where he was probably Vancouvers second best player. 

18 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Do you really believe this? Or are you just trying to make discussion? Markstrom was definitely better this season then any previous, not even close. I thought he had potential when he went to Calder cup. He didn’t meet expectations till this season, where he was probably Vancouvers second best player. 

Numbers are dead even.   If he was that much better, shouldn't we have seen a difference.    I also think we played much better team defense than in previous years, especially at the start of the season.

Was he better, yes I can say that.....but to say it wasn't even close when numbers are exactly the same, not so sure.  IMO he's a good stop gap, but he'll never be a true #1 in my book.

• Upvote 1