The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Hopefully this doesn’t mean we throw the bank at Gardiner or Myers. Neither are upgrades on an old Edler.

Hopefully Myers is re-signed by Winnipeg, and the rumors of Montreal being in on Gardiner are correct.

53 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Edler is looking out for himself as well as the Canucks are looking out for themselves. We will move on from Edler however Edler doesn't have to owe anybody anything. People like to throw out "it's a business" and so is this.

There is no need to be upset just because Edler didn't make you happy.

I’m upset? Lol.   Your perception of how I feel is far from any truth..   I only wished that we were able to move him 2 years ago.

33 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

I appreciate where you're coming from, and I don't fully disagree with you.  I'm going to assume, however, that your line of work would allows you to work until old age, or at least well into your 50's.

Edler is likely negotiating his last contract.  Unless he is hiding his talents as an amazing, rockstar, musician, there is no job out there for him that will ever bring him the fame and fortune, let alone the thrill of playing professional sports.  He has every right to test free agency, just like Jim Benning has every right to let him walk unless he signs for under market value.

Based on your assessment, one could argue that Benning is also being greedy, by asking Edler to leave MILLIONS of dollars and years of term on the table, just because Edler loves this city.

In this scenario, who is taking advantage of who?

Poor Alex??    

Are you serious with this comment?

Edler has made 45 million usd in just over 10 years with this club.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Thats fair. 

Pretty sure Edler's back still FWIW despite all the media induced panic.

But we can sign the likes of Benn, Chiarot, Stralman (and even some depth guys like Gunnarsson, McQuaid, Sbisa etc to add depth) and take over the 'sheltering'/defensive minutes Edler played. Hughes is already going to eat up a lot of Edler's offensive/PP minutes.

It's certainly less ideal but it's not the end of the world either. And again, still pretty damn sure Edler will still be a Canuck this fall.

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Apparently Dhaliwal said  Edler told the Canucks today that they can expose him in the expansion draft.?

If that's the case, that's good news. I'd like to see Edler back for a couple of years, and there's no telling if he'd get picked in the ED. Then Tanev and Hutton could be traded.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But we can sign the likes of Benn, Chiarot, Stralman (and even some depth guys like Gunnarsson, McQuaid, Sbisa etc to add depth) and take over the 'sheltering'/defensive minutes Edler played. Hughes is already going to eat up a lot of Edler's offensive/PP minutes.

It's certainly less ideal but it's not the end of the world either. And again, still pretty damn sure Edler will still be a Canuck this fall.

Not to mention OJ could impress and finish in the bigs too.

22 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

......sooooo I’m gonna take that as a no?

:bigblush:

..  let me guess,     Your in a soup line on a stolen phone,.  You’ve just been jipped out of your crackers and your thinking of peeing in a corner of the room.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm thinking so. I'd like to see Schenn and Chiarot signed. Although trading for Dillon would be great too.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Not to mention OJ could impress and finish in the bigs too.

Exactly. The difference makers on the defense will be developed from within, and insulated by FA acquisitions to play big minutes, provide a great physical presence on the back end, and play solid defense.

There are reports now that the Edler issue is now straight term and no longer the NMC.

If is has gone that far, then I think there is a good chance it gets done.

We will have to overpay in term a little, that is much less of a big deal.  We would have to overpay in term for a UFA replacement anyways.

Edler is the right age to take a decreasing role as Hughes and Juolevi (hopefully) start being ready for more minutes.

5-6 million per year for 3-4 years probably gets it done.

Just now, Provost said:

There are reports now that the Edler issue is now straight term and no longer the NMC.

If is has gone that far, then I think there is a good chance it gets done.

We will have to overpay in term a little, that is much less of a big deal.  We would have to overpay in term for a UFA replacement anyways.

Edler is the right age to take a decreasing role as Hughes and Juolevi (hopefully) start being ready for more minutes.

5-6 million per year for 3-4 years probably gets it done.

IMO, they end up compromising. Edler likely wants 4 years, Benning 2. Settle on 3 with no ED protection. NTC is fine, maybe limited that 3rd year. +/- $6m

It's all been part of negotiation and CDC has been trolled hard by Dhaliwal. #premature exasperation.

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Poor Alex??    

Are you serious with this comment?

Edler has made 45 million usd in just over 10 years with this club.

I never said poor Alex.  I am aware of how much money Edler has made.  I was merely pointing out your hypocrisy.  I can see this is pointless.

BTW, I think Edler is still likely to sign here, even if he does test free agency.  Probably taking a page out of Markus Naslunds negotiating book.

2 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

I never said poor Alex.  I am aware of how much money Edler has made.  I was merely pointing out your hypocrisy.  I can see this is pointless.

BTW, I think Edler is still likely to sign here, even if he does test free agency.  Probably taking a page out of Markus Naslunds negotiating book.

What hypocrisy??

Archived