The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Massive overpayment 

Not at all if you look at how much Risto has accomplished as an offensive D-man....  Baerstchi is a throw in to offset some salary. OJ and the 10th pick are at this point a good potential.... not a sure bet!! It's just enticing enough for Buffalo to consider. Makes sense?

41 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Im very aware you have to give to get, but giving up firsts with a gm whos best skill is amateur scouting makes me cringe. 

He is a great drafter but Ristolainen is a top pair offensive D with size, skating and some grit on a good contract.  You can only hope to land that with a first anyways.

48 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Not at all if you look at how much Risto has accomplished as an offensive D-man....  Baerstchi is a throw in to offset some salary. OJ and the 10th pick are at this point a good potential.... not a sure bet!! It's just enticing enough for Buffalo to consider. Makes sense?

Not to me, but to each their own. Don't get me wrong, Ristolainen's size and offensive capability are great, but hearing that he's somewhat of an adventure in his own end raises flags.

Personally keeping Juolevi, and eventually playing him with Ristolainen seems far more enticing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Juolevi alone could end up better than him.

... and Tim Schaller could suddenly blossom into a better version of Cam Neely!

Your plan is that we don’t make any moves because one of our players could come out of the absolute blue to massively over perform their expected ceilings?

Boy, you must have been sour when Shinkaruk, McCann, Stojanov, Dane Fox, Dahlen, etc got traded as they all became superstars 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and Tim Schaller could suddenly blossom into a better version of Cam Neely!

Your plan is that we don’t make any moves because one of our players could come out of the absolute blue to massively over perform their expected ceilings?

Boy, you must have been sour when Shinkaruk, McCann, Stojanov, Dane Fox, Dahlen, etc got traded as they all became superstars 

Hahaha

You realize that Juolevi has amounted to and surpassed expectations at every level right

He's a projected top 4 two way dman his only issue is he's had two big injuries

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Hahaha

You realize that Juolevi has amounted to and surpassed expectations at every level right

He's a projected top 4 two way dman his only issue is he's had two big injuries

What are you on about?

In all the re-drafts from 2016 he is taken WAY later and has been outperformed by many players taken after him.

He has not surpassed expectations, not even remotely.  His “only” issues haven’t been injuries.  Salo was pretty scathing about his motivation and work rate, and is still urging caution about him as a player and how much he has to learn about what it takes to become an NHLer.

That is not to say he won’t become a serviceable D at the NHL level, but to suggest that we shouldn’t trade him for Ristolainen because there is some likelihood that he will be better.... that is just silly.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Canucks were 2 picks from trading for Subban when Columbus took PLD

That was then, this is now. At this point in the Canucks rebuild, trading for Subban would cost way too much, including one of the core players that need to remain untouchable.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

What are you on about?

In all the re-drafts from 2016 he is taken WAY later and has been outperformed by many players taken after him.

He has not surpassed expectations, not even remotely.  His “only” issues haven’t been injuries.  Salo was pretty scathing about his motivation and work rate, and is still urging caution about him as a player and how much he has to learn about what it takes to become an NHLer.

That is not to say he won’t become a serviceable D at the NHL level, but to suggest that we shouldn’t trade him for Ristolainen because there is some likelihood that he will be better.... that is just silly.

At first Salo was cautious about him, then he ended up as the high minute guy by the end of the year

In the AHL aside from his plus/minus on a weak defensive team he put up 13 points in 18 games. But remember horvats plus minus? It was brutal his first couple of seasons

And sure there were dmen taken after him that have started playing in the NHL. That doesn't make them better.

Bottom line, I think seeing Juolevi play for us is the absolute best option for him and us. Especially if you're right about his current projection, which would amount to his value being poor.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to me, but to each their own. Don't get me wrong, Ristolainen's size and offensive capability are great, but hearing that he's somewhat of an adventure in his own end raises flags.

Personally keeping Juolevi, and eventually playing him with Ristolainen seems far more enticing.

Fair point....but we also need to be realistic too... if you were the GM of the Sabres, what kind of package can you expect out of the Canucks?? 

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

He is a great drafter but Ristolainen is a top pair offensive D with size, skating and some grit on a good contract.  You can only hope to land that with a first anyways.

Exactly my point too.... but most ppl feel like our 10th pick is so divine.... 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Wanless said:

At first Salo was cautious about him, then he ended up as the high minute guy by the end of the year

In the AHL aside from his plus/minus on a weak defensive team he put up 13 points in 18 games. But remember horvats plus minus? It was brutal his first couple of seasons

And sure there were dmen taken after him that have started playing in the NHL. That doesn't make them better.

Bottom line, I think seeing Juolevi play for us is the absolute best option for him and us. Especially if you're right about his current projection, which would amount to his value being poor.

You are trying to change a dumb argument.

The argument was that you don’t trade him for Ristolainen because he could end up being better.

Zero hockey people would agree with that.  It isn’t impossible that he ends up better than Risto, it is just unlikely.  It is equally possible that he never becomes an NHL regular at all.

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Fair point....but we also need to be realistic too... if you were the GM of the Sabres, what kind of package can you expect out of the Canucks?? 

These next two weeks will really push the boundaries of what's realistic. Therefore I cannot comment at this time. I hate making proposals.

12 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I would totally trade our 10th pick + Juolevi + Baertschi for Ristolainen.

To those that are adament that we must make our pick because we are the host city....  well, it's not like we got a top 5 pick in the first round. Secondly, you always grab an established NHLer that can help us NOW over an unknown pick! Risto got size, RH shot and pure offensively gifted... he'll do list fine when paired with a defensively minded LH d-man.

I bet you this trade announced by Bettman will generate a much bigger roar from the home crowd than whoever we are gonna pick!

Even Buffalo isn't that high on Risto :lol:I've seen Buffalo fans on Twitter that have entertained the idea of Risto + 31st for our 10th, and yet here you are willing to cough up the entire farm xD

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

OK as per a tweet by a Finnish journalist:

Trade offer on table:

To Van: 1st #31 pick,  6th round pick, Ristolainen and Nylander 

To Buf: #10 pick, Juolevi, Virtanen 

Worth considering.....

LOL Can you at least post a source

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

You are trying to change a dumb argument.

The argument was that you don’t trade him for Ristolainen because he could end up being better.

Zero hockey people would agree with that.  It isn’t impossible that he ends up better than Risto, it is just unlikely.  It is equally possible that he never becomes an NHL regular at all.

Left side two way top 4 projected player for a right side offensive top 4 player

If we were talking woo in the trade you have a point, but outside of Hughes our future left side consists of AHL/bottom pairing guys. 

And for the record I see Hutton as a bottom pairing guy who can fill in as a number 4

Edited by Wanless

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Even Buffalo isn't that high on Risto :lol:I've seen Buffalo fans on Twitter that have entertained the idea of Risto + 31st for our 10th, and yet here you are willing to cough up the entire farm xD

Woo wow!! "Entire farm"?? Can you make some sense in your argument pls?? 

You don't give up anything decent to get upgrades?? Go back to playing your NHL fantasy game!