The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

I would keep Miller over Petey at this point. But that is because, right now, Miller is light years better than Petey including Miller's size and nastiness. 

That could change in four years but that is how long it will take to actually know if Miller or Petey is the one to keep.

7 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

I would keep Miller over Petey at this point. But that is because, right now, Miller is light years better than Petey including Miller's size and nastiness. 

That could change in four years but that is how long it will take to actually know if Miller or Petey is the one to keep.

Well, Miller is 28 years old, compared to Petey, who's only 23. Huge difference in terms of experience, games played, etc, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What a boost to the youth movement getting one of those guys. The thing is, with Miller and his contract being so desirable, teams will overpay the longer JR holds out. Maybe he creates a bidding war. 

JR not making any moves is probably thinking the same thing. Does New York become even more desperate as the Canucks and JR wait longer? 

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

Trading Miller or not trading Miller (or anyone for that matter) doesn't really get us closer or farther from getting a cup. I want a cup too. If only the solution was simple (which it clearly isn't). A lot of good transactions, drafting, and a lot of luck is really what's going to get us the best chance. Even if all that falls into place, we could end up like Florida or Edmonton with all the talent but it ends up taking years for that talent to actually do something.

Fitting a winning team in under the cap is the issue. If there is a way to fit all of our players in under the cap and continue to add more talent then that is a no brainer.

I think Benning has messed up the cap structure and some adjustments will need to be made .

If a guy like Miller needs to be moved let's do it while his value is high and before he gets injured .

I for one hope we keep Miller as I feel we are a playoff team right now even if our record this season doesn't reflect it. We want Miller in the line-up for next year he's one of our most consistent scorers and leader of the team. IF WE MUST trade somebody I say trade Boeser as much as I like him I've been his #1 fan since he joined this team I love his playstyle he's like a mix of Patrick Sharp and Vladdy Tarasenko but he can't stay in the lineup for big runs I feel at this point that hurts his value. Obviously it depends on the return back. I haven't thought about it too much but maybe send Boeser for Konecny(Horvat's cousin) that's pretty even.

33 minutes ago, CanucksNumOne said:

I for one hope we keep Miller as I feel we are a playoff team right now even if our record this season doesn't reflect it. We want Miller in the line-up for next year he's one of our most consistent scorers and leader of the team. IF WE MUST trade somebody I say trade Boeser as much as I like him I've been his #1 fan since he joined this team I love his playstyle he's like a mix of Patrick Sharp and Vladdy Tarasenko but he can't stay in the lineup for big runs I feel at this point that hurts his value. Obviously it depends on the return back. I haven't thought about it too much but maybe send Boeser for Konecny(Horvat's cousin) that's pretty even.

Do you want a better "bubble playoff" team now, or a better "contender" team in 2+ years?

That's basically what this comes down to IMO. And from Rutherford's comments, it seems apparent what his opinion on the matter is.

• Cheers 1

Miller is the obvious trade option. I love his tenacity and rounded high-end skillset.

But, Boeser is younger, hasn't hit his ceiling I think, and Miller is going to have better returns. I like to give the in-house draft talent a longer leash.

It all depends on what's being offered for one of our key pieces. Might make sense to just hold for now and see how the season unfolds. If we make the playoffs, if anything Miller's worth may be higher in the off season.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, Googlie said:

Here, from "NHL Trade Rumors"  today ....

The New York Rangers are reportedly interested in Vancouver Canucks forward J.T Miller and will continue to try and convince the Canucks to make a deal before the Mar.21 deadline. 

The Canucks will surely listen to offers on numerous players on their roster but with new head coach Bruce Boudreau getting the team back on track, don't expect any deals to happen before late March. The team will continue to push for the Stanley Cup playoffs and currently sit only five points out of the second wild card spot.

Miller is sought after by not only the Rangers but many teams for his leadership qualities, his production on the ice and his fierce competitive spirit. The 28-year-old is under contract through next season at only $5.25 million and doesn't hold any trade protection.

So far in 39 games in 2021-22, Miller has been a point-a-game player. He was one member of the Canucks who was critical of the team's coaching staff earlier in the season before management made a change. Miller was often yelling during practice about the organization of drills and expected more out of his head coach Travis Green at the time.

A small nugget worth noting is the fact Miller had a no-trade clause prior to being dealt to the Canucks and Vancouver did void the clause after acquiring him from the Tampa Bay Lighting in 2019. Miller spent six seasons with the Rangers and was a former first-round pick in 2011. If the Canucks end up sending him packing back to the Big Apple, expect a mega-package heading back to Vancouver that likely includes one of Alexis Lafreniere or Kaapo Kakko. New York currently has $7.1 million in cap space.

Jesus, I like JT and am firmly on “Team Playoffs” but if they’re giving us Lafreniere/Kakko and one of those RHD in their system I’ll drive Miller to the airport myself. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Do you want a better "bubble playoff" team now, or a better "contender" team in 2+ years?

That's basically what this comes down to IMO. And from Rutherford's comments, it seems apparent what his opinion on the matter is.

I don't look at it that way. Who's to say if we make the playoffs we can't win it all? I think it's possible. Anything can happen all you need is the opportunity to make it happen. If it's a hockey trade, meaning we get a similar value player in return, then sure if it has to be done to fix 'locker room' drama. We have enough firepower and the goaltending to win the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksNumOne said:

I don't look at it that way. Who's to say if we make the playoffs we can't win it all? I think it's possible. Anything can happen all you need is the opportunity to make it happen. If it's a hockey trade, meaning we get a similar value player in return, then sure if it has to be done to fix 'locker room' drama. We have enough firepower and the goaltending to win the playoffs. 

Rutherford does not appear to share your view.

Just now, CanucksNumOne said:

hopefully we don't go backwards too much i like our core players with demko at the helm i could see demko doing big things if given the chance

No reason we should. Not like we'd be moving Miller for magic beans. We'll be getting legit pieces back. With the right moves, there's no reason we couldn't be near/just as good, as soon as next year.

And I agree, the core is good and when they reach their actual prime is what we should be focusing on. To help give them every opportunity to win a cup in that window.

That's not going to happen with a declining, mid 30' s Miller with an $8m+ anchor of a contract, right in the midst of their prime/contention window.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No reason we should. Not like we'd be moving Miller for magic beans. We'll be getting legit pieces back. With the right moves, there's no reason we couldn't be near/just as good, as soon as next year.

And I agree, the core is good and when they reach their actual prime is what we should be focusing on. To help give them every opportunity to win a cup in that window.

That's not going to happen with a declining, mid 30' s Miller with an $8m+ anchor of a contract, right in the midst of their prime/contention window.

True. He's tradeable for sure. If we get value back in a hockey trade I would be happy.  JT probably our 4th best player anyway. I instantly thought 1st rounder for the return which ends up being a late or mid rounder at best. The more I think about  it the more excited I feel 

1. EP

2. Quinn

3. Demko

4. Miller

I almost want to put Demko at 1 or even Quinn, all three have insanely huge career ceilings.

• Cheers 1

Without Miller: 

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-Chytil-Pearson

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Poolman-Schenn 

Demko

[Halak] 

Looks cheaper and younger to me. Too bad Chytil absolutely sucks at faceoffs so cnot big on him as our 3rd line centre. 

1 hour ago, CanucksNumOne said:

But defense wins championships. 

7 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Without Miller: 

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-Chytil-Pearson

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Poolman-Schenn 

Demko

[Halak] 

Looks cheaper and younger to me. Too bad Chytil absolutely sucks at faceoffs so cnot big on him as our 3rd line centre. 

Chytil sucks on face offs? Than no thanks. 

We have enough centers that aren’t that great on the dot. Dickinson, Petey, etc.