Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-Chytil-Pearson

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Poolman-Schenn 

Demko

[Halak] 

Looks cheaper and younger to me. Too bad Chytil absolutely sucks at faceoffs so cnot big on him as our 3rd line centre. 

Looks younger and cheaper, but that top six is definitely lacking. Hoglander struggles to score at a 2nd line rate and although I'm very excited for Podkolzin his offense is a 3rd/4th line rate right now. I do expect both players to improve; however, they haven't as of yet. In addition, without Miller we lack a top end threat that can score at or above a point-per-game, unless Boeser somehow exceeds expectations or Petey sees a return to form.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Looks younger and cheaper, but that top six is definitely lacking. Hoglander struggles to score at a 2nd line rate and although I'm very excited for Podkolzin his offense is a 3rd/4th line rate right now. I do expect both players to improve; however, they haven't as of yet. In addition, without Miller we lack a top end threat that can score at or above a point-per-game, unless Boeser somehow exceeds expectations or Petey sees a return to form.

we probably need a young roster player in return. 

If the trade is with the Rangers, then Schneider has to be the centre piece in any trade with them, then the 1st (with conditions?), and a young forward coming back. Anything less than that, and we shop Miller to another Eastern Conference team that gets in the Ranger’s way come playoff time. 

8 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Without Miller: 

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Podkolzin-Horvat-Garland

Dickinson-Chytil-Pearson

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schneider

Poolman-Schenn 

Demko

[Halak] 

Looks cheaper and younger to me. Too bad Chytil absolutely sucks at faceoffs so cnot big on him as our 3rd line centre. 

I'd imagine he moves to wing (though could probably play C with injuries).

Make the Miller trade and sign a 3C (Paul/Tierney/Sturm) this summer.

No reason that can't be competitive.

Something like (wingers fluid):

Chytil, Horvat, Boeser

Podkolzin, Petterson, Garland

Pearson, Paul/Tierney/Sturm, Hoglander

Dickinson, Lammiko, Highmore

Jasek/Focht etc as spares

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Hamonic/Lyubushkin

UFA?, Schneider/Poolman

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

we probably need a young roster player in return. 

If the trade is with the Rangers, then Schneider has to be the centre piece in any trade with them, then the 1st (with conditions?), and a young forward coming back. Anything less than that, and we shop Miller to another Eastern Conference team that gets in the Ranger’s way come playoff time. 

I would tend to agree that some sort of roster return is probably necessary when trading such a core player of our team. I do like Schneider, though he barely qualifies as a roster player with 5 NHL games averaging bottom pairing minutes.

All that said, the idea of Chytil, Schneider, and a 1st, though maybe optimistic on our end would sit fine with me so long as we were very clearly not in playoff contention. Trading Miller, unless it returns another star of or close to his callibre essentially guarantees that we won't be playoff bound this year. Come mid-February or March, if we find ourselves below .500, I would be fine with pulling the trigger, as at that point, the odds become incredibly low of us making the show.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would tend to agree that some sort of roster return is probably necessary when trading such a core player of our team. I do like Schneider, though he barely qualifies as a roster player with 5 NHL games averaging bottom pairing minutes.

All that said, the idea of Chytil, Schneider, and a 1st, though maybe optimistic on our end would sit fine with me so long as we were very clearly not in playoff contention. Trading Miller, unless it returns another star of or close to his callibre essentially guarantees that we won't be playoff bound this year. Come mid-February or March, if we find ourselves below .500, I would be fine with pulling the trigger, as at that point, the odds become incredibly low of us making the show.

I'd do it regardless.

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don’t like Chytil because apparently he’s not great on the dot. 

33 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But defense wins championships. 

We have Quinn Hughes.

OEL still good he's a lot better than he's played for us so far sometimes it takes time to adjust to new system/team/city etc but ya both are capable of playing huge minutes.

Myers and Hunt are serviceable and Schenn's game is good for playoffs. Our PK though?...

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t like Chytil because apparently he’s not great on the dot. 

True, but he's young, and as we've seen with Lammikko just this year, players can improve in that area as they get a bit older. Bonino is another case of a guy who started becoming great in the dot as he aged.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksNumOne said:

I don't look at it that way. Who's to say if we make the playoffs we can't win it all? I think it's possible. Anything can happen all you need is the opportunity to make it happen. If it's a hockey trade, meaning we get a similar value player in return, then sure if it has to be done to fix 'locker room' drama. We have enough firepower and the goaltending to win the playoffs. 

I see it somewhere in the middle. Theres also a distinct possibility that Miller is kept to play the season out and see how far they go, and maybe decide to trade him in the off season. Rutherford is in the evaluation stage right now as he's stated. JR is in a wierd situation because he came to the franchise mid season so he really doesn't know what he has long term with this team. I know that extra playoff run is added value, but waiting until the offseason, his value stays, and maybe increases as more teams decide "ok do we need a JT Miller?" and have the the cap room to plan their moves. If the team somehow keeps winning and ends up, lets say 3rd seed in our division by the time TDL , I think JR will hold off until the summer to decide. Like you said, when you're in the playoffs, you have a chance

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

True, but he's young, and as we've seen with Lammikko just this year, players can improve in that area as they get a bit older. Bonino is another case of a guy who started becoming great in the dot as he aged.

Yeah, that’s true. Well, at least you hope he improve on the dot. There’s no sure thing, I suppose, so there is an element of risk involved. Chytil may not get better on face offs, and he might just be bad throughout his career. 

I’d as much as for a top six forward coming back. Might be harder to get one of those, and might as well try and pry one away from the Rangers for Miller in a packaged deal. I’d roll the dice on Laff. Kakko kind of scares me because of his health issues (diabetes 2). 

For me, a 1st and Schneider has to be in the deal. And then the young forward coming back as well. 

Should the Canucks put conditions on that 1st as some posters have suggested? 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CanucksNumOne said:

Chytil excites me. He's got some high end skills

He so far hasn't translated the offense consistently to this level... But man... Size, speed, good battle and two way play. 

If we manage to get Jasek back and he blossoms in to a third liner an eventual Chytil, Jasek, Hoglander 3rd line would be so fast, tenacious and fun to watch!

Deal with the Rangers starting to make way too much sense.  

They have the young forwards with the elite draft position who just aren’t producing at win-now ceilings.  They have some good RHD prospects in the system.  

Really, I’d be exited to land a package with those two, regardless of the draft pick.  

Florida hopefully landing Chychrun will toss some gas on this as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He so far hasn't translated the offense consistently to this level... But man... Size, speed, good battle and two way play. 

Chytil hasn't been given the opportunity to break out though. Looked like he kind of got skipped over for Kakko/Laffy when it should of been his turn.

20 minutes ago, CanucksNumOne said:

Chytil hasn't been given the opportunity to break out though. Looked like he kind of got skipped over for Kakko/Laffy when it should of been his turn.

Oh, he definitely has untapped potential. I don't think he's helped himself, being inconsistent in NY. But that frequently happens with young players, especially on good teams that may not have the patience to nurture their early warts.

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:21 AM, appleboy said:

Fitting a winning team in under the cap is the issue. If there is a way to fit all of our players in under the cap and continue to add more talent then that is a no brainer.

I think Benning has messed up the cap structure and some adjustments will need to be made .

If a guy like Miller needs to be moved let's do it while his value is high and before he gets injured .

I just don't think it's that simple. Sure, we can sell the players that are going to cost a lot, but what if Miller's one of the ones that is going to drive us to win a cup and trading him prevents that? What if a player like Boeser or someone else turns out to be the better option to trade? We don't know the best way of doing things and we probably never will.

Also, you talk about selling Miller when he's high. For what exactly? More assets that provide cap? Most of the league can't just take on his cap so we'd have to get something back. Most likely whatever we get back's going to be a downgrade from Miller even if we're selling high.

So while you talk about things like they're simple, they're not. What you suggest is nice to have, but I can't see it being all that realistic unfortunately. I just don't think we can sell Miller for what you think we can sell him for but I've tended to always think CDC overvalues our players in general as well while undervaluing other teams' players.

At the end of the day we all want to think we know what's best for the team, but most people here think they know more than they really know. lol

Edited by The Lock

If the Canucks trade Miller, they better get at least one of their top 2 overall picks + Schneider.  Anything less is an absolute robbery by the Rangers and I'd be calling for Rutherford and co. head immediately.  Getting rid of their best player they've had since the Sedins for a POTENTIAL middle pair D and middle 6 forward is an outrageously low offer.  As someone said in the GDT, where would we be at after that trade?  Even worse mediocrity than before.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2