The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think the losing days are behind us guys!

Rate this topic

Gator

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dmen out...

-Ben Hutton

-Derrick Pouliot

-Michael Del Zotto

-Eric Gudbranson

Dmen in...

-Tyler Meyers

-Quinn Hughes

-Luke Schenn

-Josh Teves

Again, a pretty significant upgrade.

You get the idea. We're a much improved team from what we were at the start of last season. 

You need to at least know how to spell his name . TYLER MYERS 

Our D is really awful......     Very puzzling why JB is adding top 5 talent when clearly the club D is  very weak with terrible depth. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

D is still too weak to be a real playoff contender

when everyone's healthy, which is only for like 15-20 games:

Edler Tanev

Hughes UFA dman

Stecher Biega

Juolevi

Safe to assume Tanev is gonna be injured 50% of games. Edler would prob miss 30%. so its gonna be

Hughes UFA dman

Stecher Sautner

Juolevi Biega

Breisbois

The inconsistency in the D lineup is gonna kill us. Tanev is awesome when healthy, but i wish we had someone who can play 75-82 games instead. 

Just now, Jetliner said:

D is still too weak to be a real playoff contender

when everyone's healthy, which is only for like 15-20 games:

Edler Tanev

Hughes UFA dman

Stecher Biega

Juolevi

Safe to assume Tanev is gonna be injured 50% of games. Edler would prob miss 30%. so its gonna be

Hughes UFA dman

Stecher Sautner

Juolevi Biega

Breisbois

The inconsistency in the D lineup is gonna kill us. Tanev is awesome when healthy, but i wish we had someone who can play 75-82 games instead. 

Hopefully the additions of Hughes and Myers(?) will provide a bit of shelter for Edler and Tanev, allowing us to play them less and keep them healthier. I'll admit that even with the addition of Myers, our D is still severely lacking. I'd like to resign Schenn for some bottom pairing depth. It's not a done deal that Hutton doesn't resign either. Someone like a Brogan Rafferty or Josh Teves could also be in the mix too. 

I'd like to see us move a couple of our redundant bottom 6 forwards for some defensive depth. 

We do eventually need to add a top pairing D to play on the right side though. That's the one gaping hole in our young player/prospect pool remaining that needs to be addressed. Part of the reason why I'm so terrified of the Myers contract is that it may limit our ability to make a move for the right guy is something comes along over the next couple of seasons.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hopefully the additions of Hughes and Myers(?) will provide a bit of shelter for Edler and Tanev, allowing us to play them less and keep them healthier. I'll admit that even with the addition of Myers, our D is still severely lacking. I'd like to resign Schenn for some bottom pairing depth. It's not a done deal that Hutton doesn't resign either. Someone like a Brogan Rafferty or Josh Teves could also be in the mix too. 

I'd like to see us move a couple of our redundant bottom 6 forwards for some defensive depth. 

We do eventually need to add a top pairing D to play on the right side though. That's the one gaping hole in our young player/prospect pool remaining that needs to be addressed. Part of the reason why I'm so terrified of the Myers contract is that it may limit our ability to make a move for the right guy is something comes along over the next couple of seasons.

I think OJ is going to be a very pleasant surprise.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think OJ is going to be a very pleasant surprise.

Indeed. I haven't written him off yet. I'm hard pressed to say he makes the team out of training camp (although he did have a pretty good camp last year, so who knows?), but I think it's almost a guarantee that he gets called up at some point this season when the injuries inevitably start piling up. I can see him being a great fit with Stetcher on the second pairing down the line.

• Upvote 1

There is so much parity in the league nowadays there is no way to predict one way or another. We will be better next year just by the sheer experience our young guys have gone through so far. Maybe we add D depth which may help keep Edler/Tanev in the line up longer. Maybe we weed out excess baggage we have been carrying. Can you say Pouliot? :lol: Hughes will help. A healthy Roussel will help. Miller will help.

I love seeing these guys who say we need this or we need that to be contenders. It was the same in the prediction thread. Tons of predictions and then nothing but crickets when the season is over and done.

We should improve next year but there are far too many factors to seriously predict one way or another what will happen.

I guess if you criticize the management your a troll. Petey and Boeser are a ray of sunshine. Hughes looks like a beauty. We have a few solid kids in the system that could translate to nhl players . Our goal tending is strong.  There is a way too much yet to fix and this is year six. Some real blunders have been made. I think fans need to praise what is good but raise our voices over the mistakes.  It is our money that supports these clubs . 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yah, un-productive bottom six players from a non playoff team will be in great demand. Solid strategy.   

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, un-productive bottom six players from a non playoff team will be in great demand. Solid strategy.   

You're right. Best to just not try and move anybody and hold onto redundant pieces rather than trying to address a need because reasons. Obviously no team in the history of the league has ever been able to move a bottom 6 player for defensive depth. Derp.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You're right. Best to just not try and move anybody and hold onto redundant pieces rather than trying to address a need because reasons. Obviously no team in the history of the league has ever been able to move a bottom 6 player for defensive depth. Derp.

If a player can't crack our bottom 6 , the next stop for him is AHL or Europe..... . Derp.