The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nichushkin on waivers for purpose of buyout

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Clearly at that time 30 GMs thought the same or else they would have went early.

It’s easy now to say I’m we were wrong, because of how well they’re doing, but history has shown more often than not that Russian tend fizzle out into nothing. 

Look, I have nothing against Russians. If NA players had the same percentage of becoming “bust” potential. The argument would be the other way around for me. 

Yes it is. So why are you so determined to stay wrong instead of learning? The fact that 30 NHL GMs were wrong doesn't make it right. You talk about learning from history, while making it clear that you are not willing to do so.

And what exactly are those percentages of which you speak?

Skill and size, not sure what happened in Dallas. 

Would be worth a show me contract, may not sign it if given though.

I wonder if he needs a Tryamkin style fitness camp.

Goldy last year, Nichuskin this year, Tryamkin next year and Pod the year after.  Could give us a nice little Russian contingent and maybe help make us a more desirable spot for Russians.

He probably will go back to KHL I would imagine.

58 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes it is. So why are you so determined to stay wrong instead of learning? The fact that 30 NHL GMs were wrong doesn't make it right. You talk about learning from history, while making it clear that you are not willing to do so.

And what exactly are those percentages of which you speak?

It’s clear I’m not the only one who haven’t learn from their mistakes, because NHL GMs are still hesitant to pick Russians early. Only 11 Russians have been picked in the first round since Kucherov in 2011, 3 of them were picked in the top 10 (4, if you count Galchenyuk). 

Edited by shiznak

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

It’s clear I’m not the only one who aren’t learning from their mistake, because NHL GMs are still hesitant to pick Russians early. Only 11 Russians have been picked in the first round since Kucherov in 2011, 3 of them were picked in the 10 (4, if you count Galchenyuk). 

When one GM steals a Russian star, don't you think it would make more sense to learn from the one who made the smart choice, rather than copying the 30 who wish they had been as smart?

And again, you mentioned percentages. Do you actually have any? If so, feel free to share.

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

When one GM steals a Russian star, don't you think it would make more sense to learn from the one who made the smart choice, rather than copying the 30 who wish they had been as smart?

And again, you mentioned percentages. Do you actually have any? If so, feel free to share.

Still haven’t answered why GMs are still hesitant in picking Russians early? If you win the lottery, do you pick the same numbers again......hoping it’s the same? 

Russia, one of the biggest hockey-playing countries in the world, provides only 4.3 percent of the NHL’s skaters (26 out of 610) and 7.2 percent of its goalies (five out of 69). No doubt the rise of the KHL has a lot to do with that, though it’s worth noting that Russia’s top players generally opt for the NHL over their home league. You know who we’re talking about – the likes of Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Vladimir Tarasenko and Artemi Panarin. Hey, even Alex Radulov and Ilya Kovalchuk have come back to the NHL. Not to mention, two of the five Russian NHL goalies are viable Vezina Trophy candidates in Columbus’ Sergei Bobrovsky and Tampa Bay’s Andrei Vasilevskiy. Washington tops the NHL with four Russian players (Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Dmirty Orlov, Dmitrij Jaskin), while 13 teams don’t have a single comrade.