The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Hypocrisy with Alberta Explained

Rob_Zepp

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dog whistle reference (Suzuki)? check 

false analogy? check.

impotent anger? check.

this one's got all 3 of the biggies for an article out of Calgary about BC. 

Lol quick question, what does the bolded mean? I'm concerned I may have this problem in 30 years.:frantic:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

I hope People in your beautiful province are realizing how much the small guy is

hurting in the prairies.

I guess about as much as the prairie folks would care about a fisherman or little guy in tourism losing his or her job. 

This isn't about pitting the working people in each province against each other, or coal hypocrisy. Its been about safety for the majority of BC residents for a long time. Get the safety right and most people are fine with it, but the Calgary intelligentsia never want to talk about marine safety. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So spills never happen.

Certainly they do, but you suggested that beautiful pic comes in bitumen black, any evidence of that? 

I understand your concerns but honestly the expansion will only add a couple more tankers, will be very safe and add more money to the federal piggy bank and jt has said every dollar will be invested back into green energy and technology, tbh that may be very helpful to a tradesman like yourself.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol quick question, what does the bolded mean? I'm concerned I may have this problem in 30 years.:frantic:

theres just way too much anger directed at things Alberta has no direct control over or are just myths. Its kind of sad if it wasn't so dangerous to people's psyches there. I think you'll agree a lot of people are way to angry there. 

This whole 'BCs a pile of hypocrites cuz coal' thing is a perfect example. Is that supposed to win hearts and minds in BC :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I understand your concerns but honestly the expansion will only add a couple more tankers, will be very safe and add more money to the federal piggy bank and jt has said every dollar will be invested back into green energy and technology, tbh that may be very helpful to a tradesman like yourself.

you realize thats what Trudeau says nearly word for word :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

theres just way too much anger directed at things Alberta has no direct control over or are just myths. Its kind of sad if it wasn't so dangerous to people's psyches there. I think you'll agree a lot of people are way to angry there. 

This whole 'BCs a pile of hypocrites cuz coal' thing is a perfect example. Is that supposed to win hearts and minds in BC :rolleyes:

Oic...well nevermind what I said earlier.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you realize thats what Trudeau says nearly word for word :lol:

Yup I do thats why I pointed out jt said it. Are you saying u think I should vote jt? :angry:

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Oh, awesome, more pro oil threads. We need more of these 

Totally agree, we do need more.:towel:

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Certainly they do, but you suggested that beautiful pic comes in bitumen black, any evidence of that? 

I’ll confess I’ve become a fence rider from one that was staunchly opposed.

but that pic is actually from my walk yesterday.  That is my back yard.  There are families from all over the world, and local ones, camping on those beaches.  In the trails walking and exploring.  There are homes nearby where people are growing food using the land, the water.  

And that hat can be gone forever.  This is what people from outside of this province don’t grasp.  It hasn’t been part of their life since day one.

the Alberta plates show up to visit, snap a few pics and are gone.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Haha but I want them built a little quicker. I really hope this sale goes through will be a perfect partnership.

I can't think of a better outcome tbh. I didn't want it government owned in the 1st place but if a first nations group ends up with it thats so good for so many reasons. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Agree.

no doubt the housing boom in Saskatoon I benefited from years back is related to Alberta oil.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dog whistle reference (Suzuki)? check 

false analogy? check.

impotent anger? check.

this one's got all 3 of the biggies for an article out of Calgary about BC. 

Yeah, I figured an opinion piece in a Calgary paper was a good source to get to the bottom of this debate  

/s

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Is it all about a hypothetical spill?   I keep hearing how it is about climate change (that is what Vancouver City wants to claim) or more ships and the Orca.     The article is about the climate hypocrisy more than a spill between carbon products.

No it is not about a hypothetical spill.  It is pointing out the similarity of the issues.

Alberta wants X, Y and Z.

BC Wants proper compensation plus assurances of spill clean up and mitigation.

As laws in Canada are written, once a tanker is out of the bay there is almost no way to recoup costs if a spill happens.  especially if said tanker is Chinese thanks to the china Canada trade agreement with its ridiculous FIPA

I am unsure how or why the least side of the rockies here in the west cannot seem to understand that BC wants the same thing they do but at no point in time did Alberta simply try to work with BC.  When this all started it was Stelmach/Redford and the former federal government saying too bad, suck it it's happening and that attitude hasn't changed much

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Pretty much only you, Trump and BC support coal extraction.

Btw it's the Canadian west coast not BCs. 

As far as tmx expansion goes you were all over the map...go read the thread. 

1.  Where did I say I am pro coal extraction?  Show me.  I guess I'll wait for as long as I have for you to prove the economy is completely in tatters

2.  If it's Canada's west coast than it's also BC's oil, Quebecs Transfer payments.  So stop whining.  See how that works

3.  As far as TMX goes I have always had the exact same arguments.  BC takes all the risks, gets none of the reward.  There was/is no real assurance of assistance on clean up. I am for the expansion because it is the safest possible route.  Slamming that many extra tankers through that small area is stupid.  We'd be better building an offshore port or LOOP system or pushing it up to Price Rupert.  I've never had a different argument

But do go on

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No it is not about a hypothetical spill.  It is pointing out the similarity of the issues.

Alberta wants X, Y and Z.

BC Wants proper compensation plus assurances of spill clean up and mitigation.

As laws in Canada are written, once a tanker is out of the bay there is almost no way to recoup costs if a spill happens.  especially if said tanker is Chinese thanks to the china Canada trade agreement with its ridiculous FIPA

I am unsure how or why the least side of the rockies here in the west cannot seem to understand that BC wants the same thing they do but at no point in time did Alberta simply try to work with BC.  When this all started it was Stelmach/Redford and the former federal government saying too bad, suck it it's happening and that attitude hasn't changed much

1.  Where did I say I am pro coal extraction?  Show me.  I guess I'll wait for as long as I have for you to prove the economy is completely in tatters

2.  If it's Canada's west coast than it's also BC's oil, Quebecs Transfer payments.  So stop whining.  See how that works

3.  As far as TMX goes I have always had the exact same arguments.  BC takes all the risks, gets none of the reward.  There was/is no real assurance of assistance on clean up. I am for the expansion because it is the safest possible route.  Slamming that many extra tankers through that small area is stupid.  We'd be better building an offshore port or LOOP system or pushing it up to Price Rupert.  I've never had a different argument

But do go on

Lol that doesn't even make sense. A terrible comparison.