The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Nikita Gusev

2 hours ago, Quinn_Jet said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Ferland-Horvat-(Pearson/Leivo/Bearcheese)

Hall-Hughes-Palmeiri

Gusev-Hischier-Simmonds

Hard to say which top six is better. Might get burned for this, but I'll definitely say NJ has more skill in that top six, but our top six is a lot harder to play against (Miller/Ferland/Horvat).

If Hall is healthy and on his game, hes currently the best of the bunch. But beyond that, far more question marks for NJ. Is Jack Hughes ready for primetime at the NHL level? Which Simmonds will come to play? Last year's Simmonds wasn't top 6 quality. Is Gusev legit like Dadonov/Panarin or will he be more Shipachyov?

On paper and individually, I can agree there's more skill there for NJ, but it's not a balanced top 6 and I think good teams can neutralize them easily enough to beat them. There's not much there defensively that can play those guys heavily and we will see if Jack can handle faceoffs at this level. We easily beat them in a playoff series IMO.

22 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Easy to compare this trade to the one we made for JT Miller. Interested to see who yall think made the better trade... Van or NJ?

I think it's about even. We get more of a guaranteed asset in Miller. NJ took on a player who is more of a gamble but has a higher ceiling. 

Yes. The 27 year old winger and career KHLer is easily comparable to established center/winger Miller. :rolleyes: 

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes. The 27 year old winger and career KHLer is easily comparable to established center/winger Miller. :rolleyes: 

It was more so because of the similarity of the assets given up to acquire the 27 year old winger and career KHLer and the established center/winger ya big jerk

On 7/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, grandmaster said:

Justin Williams can be a jerk all he wants if he pots in 50 points a year on a regular basis! Question is, will he be a jerk to his teammates and cause problems there. Then I would say forget it.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, Aladeen said:

If Mr.Jerk/Game 7 wants a contract he will have one. 

I got nothing but respect for Justin Williams. Better suited for a contender rather than us. 

3 hours ago, Quinn_Jet said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Ferland-Horvat-(Pearson/Leivo/Bearcheese)

Hall-Hughes-Palmeiri

Gusev-Hischier-Simmonds

Hard to say which top six is better. Might get burned for this, but I'll definitely say NJ has more skill in that top six, but our top six is a lot harder to play against (Miller/Ferland/Horvat).

Fwiw their beat writer Masisak went though several iterations of their lineup projection and there's no option where Hall would play with Hughes. 

Hall-Hischier have formidable chemistry.  Hall credits Hischier for winning the Hart and says if he played in another market far more people would realise how good he is.  They'll likely continue to be the 1st line and draw all the tough matchups.  Hynes doesn't shelter Hischier - even when Hall went down.   Hughes will be able to start in a more sheltered deployment.

Bratt and Zacha are options for the final top-6 wing spot.  Simmonds looked slow in Nashville and NJD plays with a lot of speed.  Zacha could be a good fit with Hughes as he can also take draws and brings defence - they've been waiting for him to break out offensively.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, Viper007 said:

Wow that's an overpayment of a contract.

Disagree. It's short term and he's an absolute beast, even at 40-50pts it's a good contract. He's likely playing with hall, he will earn his money and more.