The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You Have Confidence In The Canucks Front Office..?

Rate this topic

Honky Cat

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Many of the players that aren't elite are the core though. Really "core" are the guys the will be long term which is 4 to 6 guys. Then there's short term coreYou don't need to draft top 10 or 5 to get them. The reason TO went from bottom to playoff team is they added their three stars in one season pushing forwards down. Kadri for example blew as top line but was good on 2nd line. Adding the elite talent at the end pushes others down the line-up where they can excel easier. No matter how you slice it, elite youth adapt faster.

Most teams don't have to replace the entire team. They'll already have guys of an age and quality that can carry over with the rebuild. We weren't in that position at all. That's why I keep saying I've never in all my decades of following the NHL seen a GM take over a team in a worse position. One player under 27 worth keeping and nothing worth a damn on the farm team. It's precisely why I thought the way Benning went about was the right way. There wasn't going to be a quick fix for this rebuild. McD has already wasted three 100+ point seasons on a bad team in Edmonton. Crosby and Toews had won cups by then because more was already in place when they were drafted.

Nice post.  Our young core IMO is:

Bo

Petey

Bess

Hughes

Marky and Demko (IMO) are not core.  Demko might become that piece, but not yet.

The rest of our players are support guy.  Some of those are clearly better than others, but they are not the guys who will lead us to Cups. 

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Many of the players that aren't elite are the core though. Really "core" are the guys the will be long term which is 4 to 6 guys. Then there's short term coreYou don't need to draft top 10 or 5 to get them. The reason TO went from bottom to playoff team is they added their three stars in one season pushing forwards down. Kadri for example blew as top line but was good on 2nd line. Adding the elite talent at the end pushes others down the line-up where they can excel easier. No matter how you slice it, elite youth adapt faster.

Most teams don't have to replace the entire team. They'll already have guys of an age and quality that can carry over with the rebuild. We weren't in that position at all. That's why I keep saying I've never in all my decades of following the NHL seen a GM take over a team in a worse position. One player under 27 worth keeping and nothing worth a damn on the farm team. It's precisely why I thought the way Benning went about was the right way. There wasn't going to be a quick fix for this rebuild. McD has already wasted three 100+ point seasons on a bad team in Edmonton. Crosby and Toews had won cups by then because more was already in place when they were drafted.

For sure having a solid prospect pool in place does wonders.  And is crucial.  No debate there, I am on board

however it is prudent to note that it is better not to spend that currency until you know what you need....   the best option is to build up the farm and then... when u need it, make the trades from a position of strength.   That’s the winning hand.

But I get your point - that the team was so decimated by years of Burke, Nonis, and then Gilles.... none of which could draft or lead a draft team worth a damn.... that there was &^@# all to work with.   So maybe we had to not be a total joke to sell tickets and keep the team here in Vancouver.   I’m ok with that.

But just because we needed to do it to save the team here in Van doesn’t mean that it is the right method to build a team.  It patently  is not.  Anyone can see that.  What we saw was the result of business pressure to fill seats.   Every year offer some hope.  And pray it works.  JB has done a good job at this - which is why he got a contract extension.  The only question that remains is can the team win a cup in the next 5-10 after going through this process?   As I’ve said t all depends on the stars... are they top20?  Top 10?  Top 5 in the league at their positions?  That makes such a huge difference.  If they are good enough we have a great chance.... here is to hope!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny if anyone complains and doesnt agree with management, they are downers, or not real fans..., but if I was the GM we'd have a new dynasty brewing. I have watched almost every game and played hockey all my life. Jim is pretty good at drafting, and Im glad some worked out. But he also drafted Joulevi instead of Ktchuck.. so ya. Overall I praise Jim for alot, but his free agent signing have all been horrible, or less then mediocre..would have been better to put his drafting skills to work and allow him to build a younger team on better contracts...having said that , I hope this team performs well this year and we can afford to keep Virtanen when he breaks out like a new Bertuzzi..Yea I said it.. we'll see if I know anything.. I think Jake's ready and then we are fukkked, cuz we wont be able to afford Virt, petey, and hughes.. GG

On 8/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, canucksnihilist said:

For sure having a solid prospect pool in place does wonders.  And is crucial.  No debate there, I am on board

however it is prudent to note that it is better not to spend that currency until you know what you need....   the best option is to build up the farm and then... when u need it, make the trades from a position of strength.   That’s the winning hand.

But I get your point - that the team was so decimated by years of Burke, Nonis, and then Gilles.... none of which could draft or lead a draft team worth a damn.... that there was &^@# all to work with.   So maybe we had to not be a total joke to sell tickets and keep the team here in Vancouver.   I’m ok with that.

But just because we needed to do it to save the team here in Van doesn’t mean that it is the right method to build a team.  It patently  is not.  Anyone can see that.  What we saw was the result of business pressure to fill seats.   Every year offer some hope.  And pray it works.  JB has done a good job at this - which is why he got a contract extension.  The only question that remains is can the team win a cup in the next 5-10 after going through this process?   As I’ve said t all depends on the stars... are they top20?  Top 10?  Top 5 in the league at their positions?  That makes such a huge difference.  If they are good enough we have a great chance.... here is to hope!!!!

Burke and Nonis drafted and built the core of a team that went to game 7 of the finals and was a dominant team for 3-4 years.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Burke and Nonis drafted and built the core of a team that went to game 7 of the finals and was a dominant team for 3-4 years.  

If U had to hire a gm for drafting.... it wouldn’t be Burke or Nonis.   Average at best.  Lots of misses in high first round....  I’m not a fan but I know some are....   Burke could trade like a demon.   And that’s how he got both sedins.   Not his drafting acumen

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

If U had to hire a gm for drafting.... it wouldn’t be Burke or Nonis.   Average at best.  Lots of misses in high first round....  I’m not a fan but I know some are....   Burke could trade like a demon.   And that’s how he got both sedins.   Not his drafting acumen

I wouldn't argue avg

On 9/1/2019 at 11:08 PM, Psycho_Path said:

Hint: our top players were injured, not that I'm sold on Green yet

Well Peterson and Boeser had great years.  Imho u can judge a coach by how well his best players perform.  His job is to give them the environment where they can contribute the most - aka get the most out of them. 

So ive got no problems with green.

The second way to judge: with the bottom half - and the players who are injured or have aged and have lost a step (u know who I’m talking about) are a problem that im not sure any coach could solve with this team.  I mean some of them just keep playing worse and worse....  but they are the only options....