The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be our #1 D in 2021-22?

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

2021 #1 overall D  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

You think OJ is soft? Why? He's got the size and was the #1 in Jr and in Utica

Tanev soft no but you mention Utica he had a horrible plus minus there and I haven't seen him battle with guys like wheeler or E Kane yet so I could be wrong but I see him more of a krug now he just needs a chara type. 

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Tanev soft no but you mention Utica he had a horrible plus minus there and I haven't seen him battle with guys like wheeler or E Kane yet so I could be wrong but I see him more of a krug now he just needs a chara type. 

Who was the Hawks number one D man, when they won their recent trio of Cups?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who was the Hawks number one D man, when they won their recent trio of Cups?  

Kieth ha but seabrook was a big reason why keith was able to do what he does. That's a number one pairing. OJ and Barrie don't compare to those to sorry. 

37 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

What does +- have to do with being soft as you say? Soft defense men are not #1 guys where he was in Jr and Utica so your arguement is confusing. He's got size and skill with a leadership quality and I don't see too many guys in the NHL having their way with OJ after a year or two, with some exceptions of coarse. I see a Hughs OJ first pairing in the near future

Edited by Sbriggs

24 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

What does +- have to do with being soft as you say? Soft defense men are not #1 guys where he was in Jr and Utica so your arguement is confusing. He's got size and skill with a leadership quality and I don't see too many guys in the NHL having their way with OJ after a year or two, with some exceptions of coarse. I see a Hughs OJ first pairing in the near future

Well number one guys can be skill guys like EK or Reilly or letang, those guys in my books are soft there not drew or OEL.  (those guys work hard like OJ but need muscle on their pairing to get the most out of them)and I'm not saying OJ is butter soft but I don't see him being Barrie's or Hughes....seabrook or chara or Muzzin. I just don't see him being that guy and I can see Hughes and OJ on power play though. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

53 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well number one guys can be skill guys like EK or Reilly or letang, those guys in my books are soft there not drew or OEL.  (those guys work hard like OJ but need muscle on their pairing to get the most out of them)and I'm not saying OJ is butter soft but I don't see him being Barrie's or Hughes....seabrook or chara or Muzzin. I just don't see him being that guy and I can see Hughes and OJ on power play though. 

I think we'll have to wait and see, from what I recall he was a smart hockey IQ player who had a great first pass and didn't shy away from the physical play. Now that could change just by the role he's placed into in Vancouver, but I still think hes far from soft. Is he a Seabrook or Chara I doubt it but he could be a Edler or a tramkin where he'll use it when he has to but doesn't necessarily look for physical plays. The reason I have excitement about OJ is the unknown, I think he's going to be better then advertised and thats because of the man who drafted him

16 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think we'll have to wait and see, from what I recall he was a smart hockey IQ player who had a great first pass and didn't shy away from the physical play. Now that could change just by the role he's placed into in Vancouver, but I still think hes far from soft. Is he a Seabrook or Chara I doubt it but he could be a Edler or a tramkin where he'll use it when he has to but doesn't necessarily look for physical plays. The reason I have excitement about OJ is the unknown, I think he's going to be better then advertised and thats because of the man who drafted him

I think OJ will be a good top four  just like you said his no seabrook or chara but OJ will be good and pumped to see what he can do. I got high hopes for him. And I'm not saying he shies away from being nasty but I just haven't seen that side him of yet. 

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Kieth ha but seabrook was a big reason why keith was able to do what he does. That's a number one pairing. OJ and Barrie don't compare to those to sorry. 

At the time the Hawks had one of the best top D pair in the NHL, so you are comparing apples and oranges. But pairing a rock steady D with size with a offensively gifted dynamo is how you create D pairings. Not every pairing can, or even needs a big brute.

7 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

At the time the Hawks had one of the best top D pair in the NHL, so you are comparing apples and oranges. But pairing a rock steady D with size with a offensively gifted dynamo is how you create D pairings. Not every pairing can, or even needs a big brute.

Your right but you need balance and I can't think of a top pairing that has success without a brute beside them or a rugged crease clearer 

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think OJ will be a good top four  just like you said his no seabrook or chara but OJ will be good and pumped to see what he can do. I got high hopes for him. And I'm not saying he shies away from being nasty but I just haven't seen that side him of yet. 

Thats the problem I havn't seen him play except for highlights and articles. Im just putting my trust in Benning and really hope he's a top pairing man. Like I said Hughs & OJ could be a great pairing

My guess at our D in 2021-22:

Hughes Myers

Tryamkin Barrie

Juolevi Stecher

Rathbone Woo

If this was the group, I would pair the smaller offensive guys with the bigger bodied Dmen. 

Hughes or Barrie might be considered our #1D. But rather than being top heavy, this is a balanced group.

I think there is enough size and starch in this group. Especially factoring our larger group of forwards. Team-wide pushback!

My guess is that our F group is probably going to get younger (more ELCs) to afford Pettersson’s pay rise. Something like:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Virtanen

Ferland Gaudette Podkolzin

Roussel Beagle Motte

Leivo

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats the problem I havn't seen him play except for highlights and articles. Im just putting my trust in Benning and really hope he's a top pairing man. Like I said Hughs & OJ could be a great pairing

I got to see him live once in Utica last year so I'm not goin off much more ha but you could be right....I'm looking forward to seeing woo more though. I like his game and I think he could be the perfect pairing with Hughes 

54 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I got to see him live once in Utica last year so I'm not goin off much more ha but you could be right....I'm looking forward to seeing woo more though. I like his game and I think he could be the perfect pairing with Hughes 

agree Woo could be a real gem if developed correctly

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Understandable.   I can look past the checking and clearing the net, pinning guys to the boards, blocking pucks aspects if QH can score goals too.   It’s too early to tell how things will evolve, durability also matters (not that big guys can’t be brittle too), but it wouldn’t surprise me if Myers or even Edler are still the closest thing we have to a number one in two years.   Worst case he’s moved to the forward line and we’ve got a killer first line.  Best case he’s like Ghost was two years ago or a Duncan Keith type.

I think if Quinn reaches his full potential he would be a 70-80PT defenseman 

He's way more dynamic than Ghost or Keith at the same age IMO. 

3 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I think if Quinn reaches his full potential he would be a 70-80PT defenseman 

He's way more dynamic than Ghost or Keith at the same age IMO. 

So best case Housley then?...never said anything about the same age, said like a 65 point Ghost or Keith the former is considered a top 100 NHLer all-time and a lock for first ballot HHOFer.   Pretty sure he had close to 70 points one year too.  So maybe we are saying the same thing...best case and full potential that is...

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Curious what game..saw him twice in Laval and he had a strong game and a not so strong game (benched for a gaffe that caused a goal because he didn’t take the body in an easy play if he did take the body, missed the check and the guy got by him and scored in a 1-1 game, turned out to be the game winner).    His 18 game sample size was too small and see him back for most of the year except for when Edler or someone else goes down.   The next year maybe Benn goes to the right side and OJ is up full-time.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Curious what game..saw him twice in Laval and he had a strong game and a not so strong game (benched for a gaffe that caused a goal because he didn’t take the body in an easy play if he did take the body, missed the check and the guy got by him and scored in a 1-1 game, turned out to be the game winner).    His 18 game sample size was too small and see him back for most of the year except for when Edler or someone else goes down.   The next year maybe Benn goes to the right side and OJ is up full-time.

It was RCK Ollie scored his first ahl goal. I saw a smart two way D man but I still think he needs a Benn type beside him to get the most out of him or a Subban type. Olli is smart but he lacks that nasty side and I know you don't need it look at the preds and we all saw how their D did in the playoffs.....

I agree Ollie will be up full time this season. I can't wait. 

If its Hughes, we are in a whole lot of trouble.   You cant have small, soft, one dimensional dmen playing 27-30 minutes a night.  

We need someone to develop in a Petroeangelo-esque general out there.  

Im hoping Joulevi can develop into our number one in the next 3 years.  

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Haha 2