The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Waiting to see how we fit Brock in and what contract he gets. Its the most important thing Benning will have done this offseason. Its important that they find a number that will keep Brock happy without jeopardizing what is currently being built. 

Getting back on topic I wouldn't have minded going to school that banned all fantasy, i hated reading Handmaid's Tale in highschool. Sadly though its not about banning all fantasy, its about banning all fantasy that conflicts with one's own fantasy, ie. authoritarianism at its finest. God forbid tomorrow a cult arise which believes J.K Rowling is a prophet and Harry Potter is the one who will bring deliverance upon us all.

It’s a private school though, isn’t it?

When you have choice you have freedom, which is not that of an authoritative law/culture.

Love your take on banning that fantasy novel study crap we had to endure. I’d rather Shakespeare than Harry Potter and that’s saying something! 

Meh, said all I had to say in here about this silly story that being blown up. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It’s a private school though, isn’t it?

When you have choice you have freedom, which is not that of an authoritative law/culture.

Love your take on banning that fantasy novel study crap we had to endure. I’d rather Shakespeare than Harry Potter and that’s saying something! 

Meh, said all I had to say in here about this silly story that being blown up. 

Sure a private school can make whatever decision they want to. What I meant is that the concept of banning all fantasy except your own fantasy is authoritarian in nature.  

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

A 73 year old literature professor thought the quality of writing in a children's book was beneath him? Well, I guess that's the final word on that. 

he lists in the article other children's literature that he praises-

he is a highly intelligent and lettered man who understands that what children are going to read is different than what an adult would enjoy.

he was not criticizing harry potter as an adult series; he was criticizing it as a children's series.

4 minutes ago, 112 said:

but yeah- it's difficult holding conversations on these topics, especially on CDC, because people are so stuck in their views and unwilling to actually do much thought. they don't even read what you say lmao

These conversations are hard for a lot of people. They lead to existential questions which in my opinion is the primary reason for religion. The powers that be use this fear/interest to instil a set of ethic/rules and of course ultimately a way to control the masses.

What attracts a self aware animal like a human to religion are those questions that develop early on....and never leave.

what is this? what am I?

I don't want to die.

As I get older, I find myself  learning all I can about the quantum physics...it's the closest thing to real 'magic' that I have found. It gives me a sense that there is something more, something that is not so shallow like some religions and beliefs.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

These conversations are hard for a lot of people. They lead to existential questions which in my opinion is the primary reason for religion. The powers that be use this fear/interest to instil a set of ethic/rules and of course ultimately a way to control the masses.

What attracts a self aware animal like a human to religion are those questions that develop early on....and never leave.

what is this? what am I?

I don't want to die.

As I get older, I find myself  learning all I can about the quantum physics...it's the closest thing to real 'magic' that I have found. It gives me a sense that there is something more, something that is not so shallow like some religions and beliefs.

the sureness/certainty of science and scientific doctrine is so attractive to the human subject. we all know, at heart, that we don't know much of anything; but the absoluteness of scientific theory gives us something to hold onto, something we can /know./

mind you, I don't reject science; I believe in physics, etc.- I just don't think it can ever explain everything.

I'm still young enough that going back to school is a possibility, and I've had interest in studying physics as well. :) might pursue a degree program in it!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 112 said:

he lists in the article other children's literature that he praises-

he is a highly intelligent and lettered man who understands that what children are going to read is different than what an adult would enjoy.

he was not criticizing harry potter as an adult series; he was criticizing it as a children's series.

From reading his editorial, it seems that his criteria for good literature is: Anything written by a man before 1950? Good! Anything written by anyone else after 1950? Bad!

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

If it weren't true, then any claim has merit. Evidence for the claim must exist. 

The burden of proof is on the believer. 

This is scientific thought, not philosophical thought.

From reading his editorial, it seems that his criteria for good literature is: Anything written by a man before 1950? Good! Anything written by anyone else after 1950? Bad!

How much reading do you do?

Enough to be wary of anyone with attitudes like Bloom's. 

And enough, then, to explain why Harry Potter is good literature for a school's curriculum?

Like- if you were choosing what the younguns were reading- would you encourage them, actually, to read Rowling over someone else?

I read her stuff and am disgusted. She's poisoned minds imo.

1 minute ago, 112 said:

And enough, then, to explain why Harry Potter is good literature for a school's curriculum?

Like- if you were choosing what the younguns were reading- would you encourage them, actually, to read Rowling over someone else?

I read her stuff and am disgusted. She's poisoned minds imo.

Did I say Harry Potter should be taught as curriculum? 

Are you aware that school libraries often contain novels that aren't taught as part of the curriculum? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1