The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Literally the OP's first two comments in the thread. And even if the OP hadn't plainly said it, the subtext and intent of this post is plainly obvious. 

Oh, thanks for the clarification. 

I took OP as the Original Post...not reading what the Original Poster followed up with in his responses to others...

On that side of things...Church and State must be separate. 

The ties to religion that are becoming  more and more prevalent in politics these days is a massive step backwards.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

sOmEtHiNg sOmEtHiNg SoMeThInG rIgHt WiNgErS aRe StOoPiD!1

Way to keep things nice and partisan, OP. Can't have people of different political ideologies getting along too well.

Well, I don't think I'm making up any stories here, the combination of christian beliefs and right wing politics in the US is a real documented thing. 

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/party-affiliation/

Of course it isn't a 100% of the time thing, but I'll bet you a box of donuts that most people with kids in this school didn't vote for Hillary. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well, I don't think I'm making up any stories here, the combination of christian beliefs and right wing politics in the US is a real documented thing. 

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/party-affiliation/

Of course it isn't a 100% of the time thing, but I'll bet you a box of donuts that most people with kids in this school didn't vote for Hillary. 

The only reason why they've "looked the other way" no matter what Bone Spurs does/did/says/have said, is that he's delivered from their POV (stacked the Supreme Court and will continue to do the same).  

5 hours ago, inane said:

Organized religion is really all just so dumb.

Although I'm not a Catholic, nor do I necessarily agree with some of their reasoning on this topic, but sometimes pragmatism creates the desired effect even though the process is flawed.

As someone who knows all-to-well the dangers of the occult sciences, there IS actually witchcraft in the Harry Potter series of books. All one has to do is open a book on the subject. Witchcraft isn't about turning enemies into toads or warts into lizards. It's the attempt to manipulate and control unseen forces and laws of nature for personal gain (white magic) or evil intent (black magic).  Most who argue against the existence of actual occult power always seem to use straw-man arguments, showing they have zero understanding of witchcraft or the black arts.

I have no doubt what I'm about to say will in itself be misquoted and used as a straw-man, but what is more dumb, believing in the unseen world or arguing against one's own imaginary straw-man.  People are free to have their own opinions, but not their own facts.

strawman-full.jpg

5 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

It is used as a means to control the masses. Some of the worst atrocities committed by the human race have been done in the name of religion.

More people have been killed by Athiestic dictators in the last 300 years than those killed in the previous 2000yrs in the name of religion

5 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Although I'm not a Catholic, nor do I necessarily agree with some of their reasoning on this topic, but sometimes pragmatism creates the desired effect even though the process is flawed.

As someone who knows all-to-well the dangers of the occult sciences, there IS actually witchcraft in the Harry Potter series of books. All one has to do is open a book on the subject. Witchcraft isn't about turning enemies into toads or warts into lizards. It's the attempt to manipulate and control unseen forces and laws of nature for personal gain (white magic) or evil intent (black magic).  Most who argue against the existence of actual occult power always seem to use straw-man arguments, showing they have zero understanding of witchcraft or the black arts.

I have no doubt what I'm about to say will in itself be misquoted and used as a straw-man, but what is more dumb, believing in the unseen world or arguing against one's own imaginary straw-man.  People are free to have their own opinions, but not their own facts.

strawman-full.jpg

It's.... It's fiction. 

Am I missing something here, can't tell if serious. 

5 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

More people have been killed by Athiestic dictators in the last 300 years than those killed in the previous 2000yrs in the name of religion

There were more people around in the last 300 years than the previous 2000 yrs so...…… 

11 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

strawman-full.jpg

Where’s the actual magic in Harry Potter? 

32 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Most who argue against the existence of actual occult power always seem to use straw-man arguments, showing they have zero understanding of witchcraft or the black arts.

not me, i just dismiss it outright based on lack of evidence. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its really something to see. But its also scary to see it become so aligned with right wing politics over the last decade. 

I feel bad for the kids at this place, years of therapy await. 

It's been aligning with the right-wing for much longer than a decade.  It just became too obvious to ignore once George W. Bush got into office.  That's when the GOP really started to lick boots because the Christian Conservatives played such a prominent role in voting to elect him.

• Cheers 2

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

It's been aligning with the right-wing for much longer than a decade.  It just became too obvious to ignore once George W. Bush got into office.  That's when the GOP really started to lick boots because the Christian Conservatives played such a prominent role in voting to elect him.

its kind of fascinating. You wouldn't think it would be so tight knit given all the things you're 'supposed' to believe... maybe its just me, but I just can't see Jesus stumping for Pence. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its really something to see. But its also scary to see it become so aligned with right wing politics over the last decade. 

I feel bad for the kids at this place, years of therapy await. 

If it’s a private school, I guess they can do whatever the “hell” :lol: they want. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think when one unironicly writes an email which contains the words “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”, they deserve all the ridicule....or as they would say in Harry Potter, "Riddikulus!"

There is evil in the world.  Energy continues, doesn’t it?  Maybe evil energy exists?