The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What about if we retaliate by sending Chabot to the ER?  Do his teammates still love him when his cheapshot directly caused their best player to be injured?

I don't disagree about playing hard against the other teams stars, but you don't put a W in jeopardy by making intentionally dirty plays......that could cost you a season

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

You realize it's not 1986 anymore, right?

How well did that approach work out for Vancouver last time?  

I don't think Moore ever cheapshot one of our guys again.  The possibility of a career ending retaliation probably made a few other guys think twice too.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree about playing hard against the other teams stars, but you don't put a W in jeopardy by making intentionally dirty plays......that could cost you a season

In the pre-season it doesn't matter though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

And he was penalized for it.  It's not like he got away with it.

If the Canucks go after Tierney, his teammates will love him for getting Van off their game and will rally around that.  He feels emboldened and continues on. 

But he takes a dumb penalty, the Canucks score and he has to make the long, lonely skate back to the bench, his teammates are deflated no one says a word to him.  That's a much more effective punishment and deterrent.

ya 2 mins it should of been 5 and a game  so he did get away with it , he doesn't get tossed  and then continues taking runs because no one did anything  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

If it doesn't matter, why are you beating the war drums?

Because the very real injury does matter.  Sending the message that what Tierney did is a good way to ensure you, along with some of your team's best players are drinking all of your meals for a month is more important than 2 meaningless points.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because the very real injury does matter.  Sending the message that what Tierney did is a good way to ensure you, along with some of your team's best players are drinking all of your meals for a month is more important than 2 meaningless points.

Sending the message that if you cheap shot us and end up in the box, were going to make you pay and leave the rink with two points is a far, far louder message.  Do you really think players, especially in today's NHL, skate around in fear of reprisal?

56 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol.. i didnt see it. Even now looking after clicking on it  can barely see properly.

Lost my phone again. Like I seem to do every month or so. 

This old phone I put chip in was sitting at home.  Can't see avatars too well but does the job.  

Funny thing is i lost this one twice over last cpl weeks and went back got it back both times.  

Cheers

It's all good. It's not a very good picture kinda fuzzy I have been trying to find a cleaner copy...

• Cheers 1

The retaliation for it needs to be then and there...   maybe a heavy slightly late hit on their star.

Nuclear deterrent has worked so far for this world.....

But I bet if you dont show up with one to the party your worried.

Everyone knows and thinks vancouver's soft.... it's like picking on the guy who never stands up for himself and takes the high road.....the high road dont work and people see him as week and keep picking on him.... other see this and join in... because why not ... hes not doin anything about it.

Need to give a few teams a black eye... then maybe it wont be worth it for them to "pick on " our guys

I know it's not 1986

.. and I remember what happened to Todd...... but this phycology is a fact.

Doesn't everyone remember your father's ( or mothers) telling you to stand up for yourself?

Edited by Snapshot85

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

The retaliation for it needs to be then and there...   maybe a heavy slightly late hit on their star.

Nuclear deterrent has worked so far for this world.....

But I bet if you dont show up with one to the party your worried.

Everyone knows and thinks vancouver's soft.... it's like picking on the guy who never stands up for himself and takes the high road.....the high road dont work and people see him as week and keep picking on him.... other see this and join in... because why not ... hes not doin anything about it.

Need to give a few teams a black eye... then maybe it wont be worth it for them to "pick on " our guys

I know it's not 1986

.. and I remember what happened to Todd...... but this phycology is a fact.

Doesn't everyone remember your father's ( or mothers) telling you to stand up for yourself?

What's worse for a team, losing a fight or losing a game?

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, no response will stop a guy from targetting skilled guys.  Make sure the kids play with some awareness of who is on the ice and where they are so they can minimize risk and when the opposition makes a hit and gets a penalty, you burn them on the pp.  Two points is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs for several teams every year.

Your argument fails to consider that there will be no play-offs if all your talent is concussed or on the IR for other reasons. I wonder who would make them pay on the PP. Concussions not only sideline a player for a period of time, if and when they come back they are often not the same. Until I see some team toughness and mutual support, my expectation and hope for this current roster is severely curtailed. I like what I see on paper but so far I see only paper toughness. I admit, I'm overly sensitive to the issue from watching the Nucks over the last decade.     

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

Your argument fails to consider that there will be no play-offs if all your talent is concussed or on the IR for other reasons. I wonder who would make them pay on the PP. Concussions not only sideline a player for a period of time, if and when they come back they are often not the same. Until I see some team toughness and mutual support, my expectation and hope for this current roster is severely curtailed. I like what I see on paper but so far I see only paper toughness. I admit, I'm overly sensitive to the issue from watching the Nucks over the last decade.     

Well, a part of that is on some of the Canuck players.  Boeser should never have put himself in that position........he's got a responsibility to keep himself safe

1 minute ago, stawns said:

What's worse for a team, losing a fight or losing a game?

What's worse for a team, losing a game or losing a star player to a concussion that could very easily snowball into something far worse if opposing players continue to target that particular player because they have no fear of reprisal?

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What's worse for a team, losing a game or losing a star player to a concussion that could very easily snowball into something far worse if opposing players continue to target that particular player because they have no fear of reprisal?

And what's going to deter that?  An arms race of tit for tat on each other's stars is a one way ticket to nowhere and ends up with just as many injuries and likely suspensions on top of that.

I'm not against playing the other team hard and physical, but what people are salivating for is just ridiculous and completely unrealistic in the modern NHL.  The game simply does not go down that path anymore.

Edited by stawns