The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Churla was a guy who liked to run around a bit.  Then Bure did this. 

Our current superstars are going to need to develop a mean streak and play dirrty once in a while. That'll keep oppoing players  honest. 

Or EP and Boeser will keep going out with concussions every year.

NHL head office not doing anything. Neither are teammates.   

I guess you didn't notice my avatar...lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Keep in mind that this isn't the first time this type of thing has happened. People were abusing EP last season as well. If we show some pushback when Matheson decides to chokeslam EP, maybe Kotkaniemi doesn't wrap him up in a leglock a couple months later. If we respond to that, maybe Brock doesn't get taken out last night. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Itas obvious, you are picking the contrary belief every time.  You're on here defending the likes of Virtanen, Juolevi and Loui Eriksson but then say those things bout Boeser and these about Hughes?  Like come on.  Hughes in the AHL?  Juolevi would be just as effective?

you're right, stawns is a contrarian. I'm the same way myself sometimes. I can't speak for his intentions or motivations, but I will certainly say that arguing from an unpopular standpoint serves a purpose: it forces people to defend their opinions, and what comes out in the wash more often than not is that those people don't possess the knowledge, intellectual capacity, or critical thinking ability to have an opinion that is informed and relevant. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't really think players on those don't get cheap shots do you?  That would be pretty naive.

The Knights had 6.......6 fights all of last season.  Boston was more active with 26.

maybe because the knight had reeves there was less fight ,  and boston well rat boy prolly instigated most of that 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

You don't have to fight. just make sure you start taking runs at  the other teams best players ., finish your checks  , the refs will protect you . No suspension from "players safety"  even tho those were both unsafe plays , hitting from behind and charging/hit to the head  , and nothing happens  , no call from the nhl, . no fine.  Time for a goon if the nhl isn't going to do anything 

No argument here, as long as you do it clean and understand that it will also put a bigger target on the Canucks skilled guys.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Keep in mind that this isn't the first time this type of thing has happened. People were abusing EP last season as well. If we show some pushback when Matheson decides to chokeslam EP, maybe Kotkaniemi doesn't wrap him up in a leglock a couple months later. If we respond to that, maybe Brock doesn't get taken out last night. 

Again, no response will stop a guy from targetting skilled guys.  Make sure the kids play with some awareness of who is on the ice and where they are so they can minimize risk and when the opposition makes a hit and gets a penalty, you burn them on the pp.  Two points is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs for several teams every year.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't really think players on those don't get cheap shots do you?  That would be pretty naive.

The Knights had 6.......6 fights all of last season.  Boston was more active with 26.

I never said players from those teams don't get cheap shots against them but when players do try that crap they pay a price and there's more ways then fighting to make a player pay.....

Just now, the grinder said:

well they are targets now  so really what is the difference ?  

That was hardly a targetted hit, it was a 2 min penalty.  If the positions were reversed you'd be saying the same thing........"why would that player put himself in that position?"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I guess you didn't notice my avatar...lol

Lol.. i didnt see it. Even now looking after clicking on it  can barely see properly.

Lost my phone again. Like I seem to do every month or so. 

This old phone I put chip in was sitting at home.  Can't see avatars too well but does the job.  

Funny thing is i lost this one twice over last cpl weeks and went back got it back both times.  

Cheers

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I guess I don't consider getting to within three periods of winning it all "nothing".  As I said a "physical" response does absolutely nothing to deter any player from doing it again, especially now when there are no true tough guys in the league.

Fwiw Boudreau thinks that reacting will help the team.  Last week a Colorado player hit Dumba too forcefully and Foligno jumped him immediately.  

Russo in the Athletic (paywall):

“That was the best moment of the game for me is the way he stuck up for (Dumba) with no hesitation,” Boudreau said. “It wasn’t like everybody gathered around and talked. He just went right at him and those are the penalties you’re going to take and you’re going to kill off. I agree wholeheartedly. If we see a lot of that this year, that’s going to be great for us.”

Foligno said he was already upset with Renouf because he was “running around” all game and hit him low earlier in the shift. When he saw Renouf charge at Dumba, “the wires touched.”

“Especially Matt, I mean, just coming back from injury,” Foligno said. “You’ve got to answer that stuff and we have to be a team that can push back and play that gritty game and that’s going to help us throughout the regular season and obviously the playoffs.”

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

How did that work out for you in SCF vs Boston.

TBL lost in game 7 ECF that year because ZERO penalties called on either team ECF game 7. TBL was also a PP team. 

Canucks same thing. 

Past season a big strong STL just won the cup. .  

I don't know what league you are following but it's not the NHL.

Boston was 8 years ago.  Before this year, LA was the last "big" team to in 2014.  Who were the big tough guys on the Pens team in 2016 &17 or on the Caps team in 2018?

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I never said players from those teams don't get cheap shots against them but when players do try that crap they pay a price and there's more ways then fighting to make a player pay.....

Of course there is, scoring on the pp being the most at effective, which they did.

1 minute ago, Cali Canuck said:

Boston was 8 years ago.  Before this year, LA was the last "big" team to in 2014.  Who were the big tough guys on the Pens team in 2016 &17 or on the Caps team in 2018?

Wilson?  Ovi loves to hit people.  The Caps were one of the biggest teams in the league. 

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

there were 7 stanley cups awarded between the two that you referenced, and I'm guessing you conveniently omitted those because 4 of them went to highly skilled chicago and pittsburgh teams. 

Hawks had a balance and could play nasty with the best of them, hell look what big buff did to us in the playoffs and a team that has turned out players like Saad, ladd and shaw and the list goes on ha

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Fwiw Boudreau thinks that reacting will help the team.  Last week a Colorado player hit Dumba too forcefully and Foligno jumped him immediately.  

“That was the best moment of the game for me is the way he stuck up for (Dumba) with no hesitation,” Boudreau said. “It wasn’t like everybody gathered around and talked. He just went right at him and those are the penalties you’re going to take and you’re going to kill off. I agree wholeheartedly. If we see a lot of that this year, that’s going to be great for us.”

Foligno said he was already upset with Renouf because he was “running around” all game and hit him low earlier in the shift. When he saw Renouf charge at Dumba, “the wires touched.”

“Especially Matt, I mean, just coming back from injury,” Foligno said. “You’ve got to answer that stuff and we have to be a team that can push back and play that gritty game and that’s going to help us throughout the regular season and obviously the playoffs.”

Pfft what does boudreau know?

Stawns played big bad enforcer in jr. He knows better.

1 minute ago, mll said:

I'm not saying there aren't benefits or that it should never happen.  But that hit was barely anything and they scored on the pp.......score settled.

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Hawks had a balance and could play nasty with the best of them, hell look what big buff did to us in the playoffs and a team that has turned out players like Saad, ladd and shaw and the list goes on ha

byfuglien and ladd weren't involved with those hawks teams.