The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

A physical response is no deterrent, at all......especially in the modern game.  A PP that scores 3 or 4 times for every 10 pp's is going to put the brakes on opposing teams much quicker than jumping someone and not only taking your team off the pp, but likely getting you an instigator on top of that.

If it's a meaningless game for the pp to settle that score in, how is it a meaningful gesture to fight?  If Petey and Co are punishing teams on the PP in the pre-season, I guarantee you other teams are noticing 

Sedins preached the same thing , we will beat them on the scoreboard b.s 

that got us nothing in the end and a team that played a nasty game won the cup....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Sedins preached the same thing , we will beat them on the scoreboard b.s 

that got us nothing in the end and a team that played a nasty game won the cup....

I guess I don't consider getting to within three periods of winning it all "nothing".  As I said a "physical" response does absolutely nothing to deter any player from doing it again, especially now when there are no true tough guys in the league.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

A physical response is no deterrent, at all......especially in the modern game.  A PP that scores 3 or 4 times for every 10 pp's is going to put the brakes on opposing teams much quicker than jumping someone and not only taking your team off the pp, but likely getting you an instigator on top of that.

If it's a meaningless game for the pp to settle that score in, how is it a meaningful gesture to fight?  If Petey and Co are punishing teams on the PP in the pre-season, I guarantee you other teams are noticing 

Moore sure as hell didn't cheapshot anyone after Bertuzzi gave him what he deserved.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

How did that work out for you in SCF vs Boston.

TBL lost in game 7 ECF that year because ZERO penalties called on either team ECF game 7. TBL was also a PP team. 

Canucks same thing. 

Past season a big strong STL just won the cup. 

I don't know what league you are following but it's not the NHL.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Stawns the contrarian.

Juolevi will be just as valuable to the Canucks as Hughes this year

Boeser is one dimensional and not worth the money

Don't need pushback 

Etc

Etc

In time OJ could easily be.  I never expected OJ to be in Van this year.

JB obviously thought the way I do because they settled within $300k of where I said and dead on for term

They have pushback, they scorched Ottawa on the PP last night.  If they continue on that path, that's the biggest pushback you can make.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Kushman said:

What happens when we don't have any of our top guys left to "make them pay on the pp" due to them being taken out through dirty hits without consequence.

Physicality and intimidation definitely does work as a detterent. You're naive to think that it doesn't.

Ferland destroyed us single handedly in our  playoffs series against Calgary, we had no response.

This topic has been beat to death after the countless incidents throughout the seasons. Yet if you watch other teams throughout the league, they stand up for their guys.

You put the Petey, Boes and Bo of last night in that series and Calgary doesn't make it 6 games in that series.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I guess I don't consider getting to within three periods of winning it all "nothing".  As I said a "physical" response does absolutely nothing to deter any player from doing it again, especially now when there are no true tough guys in the league.

if you ain't first , your last ha if I may quote Ricky bobby. 

No one cares about how many finals a team has been too...only thing people care about is winning and the rings.....

thats why you don't see players taking cheap shots on players that play for Boston or the Knights or even the caps....if a player does they pay a price 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

TBL lost in game 7 ECF that year because ZERO penalties called on either team ECF game 7. TBL was also a PP team. 

Canucks same thing. 

Yep.  How the hell does this work when the league assigns Sutherland to one of our playoff series and he chooses to rig the game yet again?  Trusting the PP is only a viable strategy if you're confident the officials will call an honest game.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Canucks same thing. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't be a physical team and only be able to score on the pp.......not in any way.  I love physical hockey and I hope the Canucks impose themselves on other teams as they develop.  However, going out looking for revenge on players for throwing hits is a stupid way to approach the game, especially if you have a pp that can burn teams.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

if you ain't first , your last ha if I may quote Ricky bobby. 

No one cares about how many finals a team has been too...only thing people care about is winning and the rings.....

thats why you don't see players taking cheap shots on players that play for Boston or the Knights or even the caps....if a player does they pay a price 

You don't really think players on those don't get cheap shots do you?  That would be pretty naive.

The Knights had 6.......6 fights all of last season.  Boston was more active with 26.

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Stawns the contrarian.

Juolevi will be just as valuable to the Canucks as Hughes this year

Boeser is one dimensional and not worth the money

Don't need pushback 

Etc

Etc

And Boeser will start in the AHL

Pettersson will start in the AHL.

I used to respect Stawns as a poster but seems like he’s off his rocker lately. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Canucks same thing. 

there were 7 stanley cups awarded between the two that you referenced, and I'm guessing you conveniently omitted those because 4 of them went to highly skilled chicago and pittsburgh teams. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be a physical team and only be able to score on the pp.......not in any way.  I love physical hockey and I hope the Canucks impose themselves on other teams as they develop.  However, going out looking for revenge on players for throwing hits is a stupid way to approach the game, especially if you have a pp that can burn teams.  

I think you're commited to being right over what happened here and getting to the facts.  

2 of our players including our star winger were taken out with illegal hits. Both ending in concussions.

In a pre season game. 

No pushback. If  not now then when ? 

2 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

And Boeser will start in the AHL

Pettersson will start in the AHL.

I used to respect Stawns as a poster but seems like he’s off his rocker lately. 

Was that before or after they'd played an NHL game?

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

There is a difference between revenge for a clean hit and a deliberate attempt to injure like the garbage Tierney pulled.  Tierney should be stuck in the hospital drinking the worst food they can find.

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, you want them to fight every time there's a hit?

You don't have to fight. just make sure you start taking runs at  the other teams best players ., finish your checks  , the refs will protect you . No suspension from "players safety"  even tho those were both unsafe plays , hitting from behind and charging/hit to the head  , and nothing happens  , no call from the nhl, . no fine.  Time for a goon if the nhl isn't going to do anything 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

There is a difference between revenge for a clean hit and a deliberate attempt to injure like the garbage Tierney pulled.  Tierney should be stuck in the hospital drinking the worst food they can find.

deliberate attempt to injure? give me a breeeeeeaaaaaaakkkk.

my god, the persecution complex drama around here is insufferable. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I think you're commited to being right over what happened here and getting to the facts.  

2 of our players including our star winger were taken out with illegal hits. Both ending in concussions.

In a pre season game. 

No pushback. If  not now then when ? 

I'm saying that having a pp that can score three times in a game is the pushback and a far more effective one than fighting.

In Jr I was a player who played both sides of that line.  I was the guy he coach tapped on the shoulder to dole out punishment and I was one who played a hard, physical game against the other teams best players.  Not once did I ever hesitate because the other teams tough guy might come after me.  It never even crossed my mind.

• Upvote 1