The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

How can a case be made when all you did was ask a question.  What teams are you talking about?

Because toughest team is subjective.

Take st louis... cup winner and a fairly tough team for example.. top scorers O'Reilly and Taresenko missed only a combined 6 games all season. 

Just now, stawns said:

A hockey play is a play that just happens within the context and flow of a regular game.  There was no pre-meditation or intention to injure.  That hit was a hockey play, but I guess you know more than Travis Green

Resorting to an argument by authority isn't very becoming and doesn't prove any sort of a point.

Something illegal shouldn't be considered a "hockey play", as it's illegal within the confines of the game. A stick to the face isn't a "hockey play". A trip isn't a "hockey play". Elbowing someone in the head isn't a "hockey play". I also disagree that there was no premeditation. Tierney was in front of the net and made a B-line for Boeser when his back was turned, with no attempt at letting up or simply carrying him into the boards to take him out of the play and dislodge the puck. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He continued playing, but did he take any runs?

lol  he was still in the game, it should of been 5 and game ,  Hitting from behind  ,  it was a bad play  no matter what uniform you are wearing ,  protect your self how can you when you are going for the puck 5 feet away from the boards , it wasn't a body check   

This is a hit that is made in the NHL a lot. Some times it is penalized and some times not. It is however not a hockey play thus the penalties.  Brock will need to learn not to put himself in a vulnerable position.  So will Petey.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol  he was still in the game, it should of been 5 and game ,  Hitting from behind  ,  it was a bad play  no matter what uniform you are wearing ,  protect your self how can you when you are going for the puck 5 feet away from the boards , it wasn't a body check   

No it shouldn't have been and had a Canuck made that hit, got 5 and a game your be all over the "rigged NHL" angle and how everyone had it in for the Canucks.

Rinse

repeat

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Resorting to an argument by authority isn't very becoming and doesn't prove any sort of a point.

Something illegal shouldn't be considered a "hockey play", as it's illegal within the confines of the game. A stick to the face isn't a "hockey play". A trip isn't a "hockey play". Elbowing someone in the head isn't a "hockey play". I also disagree that there was no premeditation. Tierney was in front of the net and made a B-line for Boeser when his back was turned, with no attempt at letting up or simply carrying him into the boards to take him out of the play and dislodge the puck. 

And where in my quote did I do that?

Of course illegal plays can be hockey plays.  All kinds of plays happen in the normal course of a game.

As far as your explanation, that's pretty much the definition of boarding......remind me again what he went to the box for?

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Got any names grinder?

Like Vincent Arseneau?  Maybe cut too soon

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/8695/videos

Didn't actually win many of these, but certainly was a willing combatant.  And can skate like the wind, forechecks well.  9 goals and 2 assists (not a playmaker) but one of only a handful of Utica players with a positive +/-

I remember one intermission interview last season when he was asked about his quick trigger, and he said (paraphrasing) that Coach Cull was trying to instill a pack mentality on the team and he saw himself as one of the pack leaders.

Sounds like he would be a good 4th liner for the big team with that attitude!!

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

They should play with an edge, but not out of revenge because that's the same as chasing the play.......the other team is dictating the terms.  Additionally, you feel a whole lot worse when a team scores when you're in the box than you do thinking that you might to answer the bell.......in fact, that makes you feel pretty good because most players/teams don't think about winning with revenge on their minds.  It rarely works out for the team "stepping" up.........remember Torts?

You keep suggesting I'm advocating revenge,yet I continue to suggest otherwise. Dictating the tone of a game with toughness is not revenge. I look forward to the Nucks dictating the tone, especially at home. I have not seen it in a decade or more. Are you paid to regurgitate the Bettman party line? Are you a league damage control guy? You have way too many posts to be so obtuse about such an obvious league problem. And I completely disagree that teams, including, Nucks, perpetrate that kind of hit all the time.

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Like Vincent Arseneau?  Maybe cut too soon

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/8695/videos

Didn't actually win many of these, but certainly was a willing combatant.  And can skate like the wind, forechecks well.  9 goals and 2 assists (not a playmaker) but one of only a handful of Utica players with a positive +/-

I remember one intermission interview last season when he was asked about his quick trigger, and he said (paraphrasing) that Coach Cull was trying to instill a pack mentality on the team and he saw himself as one of the pack leaders.

Sounds like he would be a good 4th liner for the big team with that attitude!!

That's cool that cull wants that type of attitude, maybe Green will change his tune...

right about now I would take any guy that can fight and not hurt the team.... 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

And where in my quote did I do that?

43 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

but I guess you know more than Travis Green

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course illegal plays can be hockey plays.  All kinds of plays happen in the normal course of a game.

As far as your explanation, that's pretty much the definition of boarding......remind me again what he went to the box for?

Something being deemed 'illegal' is pretty much the textbook definition of 'not a hockey play', hence why it's illegal.

Don't really care what he went to the box for. Obviously riding the player into the boards instead of pushing them headfirst into the boards would have been the safer route to go. He chose not to do that, and went for the killshot instead. 

Stop playing the contrarian and open your eyes. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Something being deemed 'illegal' is pretty much the textbook definition of 'not a hockey play', hence why it's illegal.

Don't really care what he went to the box for. Obviously riding the player into the boards instead of pushing them headfirst into the boards would have been the safer route to go. He chose not to do that, and went for the killshot instead. 

Stop playing the contrarian and open your eyes. 

You're acting like he wasn't penalized and that they didn't pay a price.  He was and they did.

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

You keep suggesting I'm advocating revenge,yet I continue to suggest otherwise. Dictating the tone of a game with toughness is not revenge. I look forward to the Nucks dictating the tone, especially at home. I have not seen it in a decade or more. Are you paid to regurgitate the Bettman party line? Are you a league damage control guy? You have way too many posts to be so obtuse about such an obvious league problem. And I completely disagree that teams, including, Nucks, perpetrate that kind of hit all the time.

We are in agreement there, for sure

Just now, DS4quality said:

Just to verify, in the 1970's, 80's and some if not most of the 90's no one would have to retaliate because it wasn't an illegal hit back then. It's only a topic of revenge now because it is a penalty which should be enforced by the league. 

And it was

No one other than Benn and Ferland are going to step up and fight, so the Canucks should respond with a pack mentality and have our guys who can play a physical game ramp up their aggressiveness and finish their checks (for forwards, I'm looking at you, Horvat, Virtanen, Miller, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, and Leivo). If Bo is indeed to be our next captain then he should lead by example and set the tone for aggressiveness and physicality when pushback is required.

Just to be clear, a fight may not be needed, but the absence of pushback when one of our players is injured due to a dirty hit is absolutely disappointing. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

This is a hit that is made in the NHL a lot. Some times it is penalized and some times not. It is however not a hockey play thus the penalties.  Brock will need to learn not to put himself in a vulnerable position.  So will Petey.

I don't quite agree with that because Tierney does have the decision not to drive Boeser into the boards, could have simply slashed him or skated by.  In the actual part of the play, any given player would have likely left Boeser alone because that would've given Edler a straight clear path to the net. 

Tierney knew what he was doing and decided to give an extra lick.  It wasn't a malicious hit because now that I look at the the play he didn't hit Boeser in the numbers, but pushed through into Boeser's shoulder.  Nevertheless, it was a pretty dumb play, Boeser is several feet away from the boards, back already turned to Tierney, and clearly was vulnerable.  Tierney wasn't being malicious, but he was being a fricken idiot for not seeing that a player was facing the boards.

It was uncalled for, but I do agree that this play is not unique at all.  We see this a lot, but all the more showing the lack of respect players give one another and why we will continue to see injuries like Boeser's situation if the league doesn't punish such acts and players don't learn to not hit guys when they are vulnerable. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 2