The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - Autumn 2019

Rate this topic

AV.

2 hours ago, 112 said:

super glad you arranged this btw

i was going to start one, but life's been tough and i didn't get around to it- so it means something that AV here stepped up and put the leg-work in

honestly feel like there is nothing worth listening to atm, hope there's something good in these mixes. It's a bad sign when I don't want to listen to music.

Here's the mix I received...heads up, it's all reggae, so Imma guess it belongs to Lucky. Ya mon.

Honestly, I listened to the mix 2 times thru and had a tricky time telling one song from another. It all just seemed like one big song. That shouldn't be too surprising, since in the 9 songs there appears the same artist multiple times: YT appears twice, Sizzla appears twice, Capleton appears 3 times. Is reggae just a poorly diverse genre, or is Lucky just familiar with these artists? I'm not sure. It would also appear that modern reggae has moved away from differing vocal harmonies, and Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs, Jimmy Cliff...sorry fellas, but that's not what sells today I guess.

A couple of songs stood out, like Lutan Fyah & Turbulence - Criminal, Arise Roots - Rootsman Town feat. Capleton, & YT - Mr. Politician.

It's a great mix to smoka dat ganja mon, and drive the speed limit. It's really difficult to get rowdy on reggae. 

Overall I'd give the mix a 6/10. While the songs are all head boppin', toe tappin' quality, the mix suffers from a lack of diversity in both artists & genres.

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

Here's the mix I received...heads up, it's all reggae, so Imma guess it belongs to Lucky. Ya mon.

Ya

Honestly, I listened to the mix 2 times thru and had a tricky time telling one song from another. It all just seemed like one big song. That shouldn't be too surprising, since in the 9 songs there appears the same artist multiple times: YT appears twice, Sizzla appears twice, Capleton appears 3 times. Is reggae just a poorly diverse genre, or is Lucky just familiar with these artists? I'm not sure. It would also appear that modern reggae has moved away from differing vocal harmonies, and Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs, Jimmy Cliff...sorry fellas, but that's not what sells today I guess.

I chose those songs from a larger, more diverse reggae playlist because I feel like they all play off each other nicely. Was going for a definite flow and consistent vibe from track to track while not going back in time, or relying on any classic artists / "roots rock reggae" to sell its authenticity as I tried to stick with a more modern dub feeling.

A couple of songs stood out, like Lutan Fyah & Turbulence - Criminal, Arise Roots - Rootsman Town feat. Capleton, & YT - Mr. Politician.

Great tunes. Disappointed you snubbed Radikal Guru - Stay Calm 

It's a great mix to smoka dat ganja mon, and drive the speed limit. It's really difficult to get rowdy on reggae. 

That's the point

Overall I'd give the mix a 6/10. While the songs are all head boppin', toe tappin' quality, the mix suffers from a lack of diversity in both artists & genres.

Can't argue that.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
14 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If you review your mix and then happen to be bored, you can also review this mix I just whipped up.

No mystery who this mix belongs to, so let's just dive into the juicy stuff.

If you don't know what Indie Rock is, and I mean true Indie Rock, then this mix will help get yer feet wet. This is a pure Indie Music Mix. With the incomparable Elliot Smith you can never go wrong. The Wants give you the pop sensibility that true Indie Rock holds dear with Fear My Society, while Lush! Superblast gives you that garage band vibe that's always been present in the Indie scene. Black Milk is a tasty hip-hop selection that makes sure the listener doesn't get too bogged down in the swimmy airy feel that can happen when one's immersed in full on Indie. The M's have a catchy hook right of the bat with their Banishment of Love that once again shows the pop sensibility that all true Indie thrives upon.

Overall I'd give this mix a 7.5/10, with some solid selections for those looking to get into Indie music, and a way to show your friends "Hey man, I know my Indie scene". 

Edited by falcon45ca
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

If you review your mix and then happen to be bored, you can also review this mix I just whipped up.

Wow, can this be my mix?

I didn't know you also listen to shoegaze! The Air Formations song is lovely. 

Lush <3. Spooky is one of the best dream pop albums imo. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ya

I chose those songs from a larger, more diverse reggae playlist because I feel like they all play off each other nicely. Was going for a definite flow and consistent vibe from track to track while not going back in time, or relying on any classic artists / "roots rock reggae" to sell its authenticity as I tried to stick with a more modern dub feeling.

Great tunes. Disappointed you snubbed Radikal Guru - Stay Calm 

That's the point

Can't argue that.

Thanks for the review!

No problemo!

19 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Really not sure what to say here. As far as my tastes go, it's different, so I listened three times to try and figure it out.

The mix starts with an eerie loop, a slow build leaving me anticipating some sort of energetic explosion of sound and power, which sadly never made itself heard. It was like walking to the top of a long staircase only to find nothing for your efforts but a wall forcing you to turn around and go back. Kinda summarizes the overall feelings of sadness, isolation and loneliness the mix left me with.

The opening track was followed up by a number of trancey / melodic tracks that totally lack the structure and form of a tradition "song". Looped sounds and organ notes held for countless bars as samples kinda work their way in and out without purpose, no progression, verses or choruses.. Different.

There was one really weird track which sounded like a female 80's pop singer mixed to the soundtrack from Fantasia. Very weird.

The mix was very melancholic as a whole. It reminded me of being contently sad, looking out the front window on a rainy day desiring nothing but a good cry that never comes.

My review reads like I hated it, but I didn't. I'd actually listen to it again on a rainy day when I require a slightly depressing ambience to suit the grey mood.

But there was only one track I absolutely hated, something by The Daughters. It was bad. Just confusing noise without the necessary anger or angst required of actual Noise.

So although I waited patiently for something to happen, some level of excitement or joy, or anger, or anything, and got nothing but emptiness, I feel like the mix flowed nicely and had a consistent vibe for the most part.

Although a heavy departure from my usual listening tendencies I'm giving this mix a 7/10 because the tracks all worked well off each other (except "The Daughters" which didn't really belong).

Edited by luckylager
  • Haha 1