The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks 2019 - 2020 Starting lineup (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Hi Everyone

Well since this is the Proposal and Armchair Gming Forum, I thought I would  give you my opinion of what I thought would happen to start the season and why...……………..

So here goes Nothing! LOL

23 Man Opening night roster

Ferland  -  Pettersson - Broeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - Motte

Goldobin

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg - Biega

Markstrom

Demko

Conditions/Thoughts/Moves

#1. Boeser signs for 8 years @ 7,250,000 per year 

#2. Roussel starts the season on the LTIR

#3. Eriksson is papered to Utica for first game but never leaves Vancouver, the reason being is that both Goldobin and Motte would be exposed to waivers if sent down

Eriksson on the other hand, can be put on waivers, as no teams will take his $6,000,000 contract, so he is basically waiver exempt

#4. Schaller and Gaudette are both sent down. Gaudette because he needs the minutes to work on his offense and is waiver exempt, Schaller because he is dispensable

Opening night Cap Space as per Capfriendly...…………. $2,058,461...……..Once Eriksson is back after game 1...……….. approx. $983,461 with 24 man roster.

Opinions

#1. Roussel will be coming back in late October or early November  (He is skating now, but the Canucks will take their time getting him back (see #2)

#2. The Canucks will be trading one of Pearson or  Baertschi after the first month, pending injuries (preference to Baertschi due to size and concussion issues)

#3. I was initially concerned that we would not have enough cap space for Tryamkin if he came back, but now feel much better having seen it written down...…..

Anyways roast away! We are almost there!

• Upvote 2

I am sure Green will throw things in the blender a lot and there are so many unknowns, developing players, inconsistent players and the always present injuries.  Big turnover on the club too, no idea if or how they will mesh.  What I would like to see (and I know won't) would be something like.

Goldy-Elias-Miller-  Goldy is one of the most gifted offensive prospects we have and plays better with Elias.  Elias needs to shoot more, has the best shot on the team and sometimes was deferring to Brock too much.  Miller plays in the dirty areas and is a first assist machine who would be getting 1.5 shooters on this line.  Ferland could slide up into Goldy's spot.

Ferland-Bo-Brock-  I just love the idea of Ferland and Bo out there together, what a handful and would create a lot of room for a pure shooter like Brock.  Bo is also very good at the behind the net to slot pass which Brock eats up.  Pearson may be the guy on this line if he comes in and plays like he did for us last year, if he plays like the guy in LA and Pitts then he is an AHL candidate.

Baerschi-Sutter-Jake.  If I had a choice this would be Gaudette's spot but he can centre line one in Utica.  Sutter needs to get playing and get moved.  Again Pearson may slide in here.

Pearson-Beagle-Leivo.  Some scoring potential around Beagle.  Again Pearson could be on second, third, fourth or Utica, just no idea what will get with him.

I think splitting Brock and Elias puts the two shooters in their best position to score the most combined goals.  Really would like to see Sutter moved at deadline.  Loui don't know if there is a reasonable solution, 13th forward/Utica or much improved play would make him a wildcard.

As far as the D goes, pretty sure we will play 6 of them but have no idea how will be deployed.  No real number one at this point and worried we will ask too much of Myers.

To try and predict the absolute lineup is a bit of a lottery, there are lots of things that could come out of the preseason and they seem to be overloaded with forwards. One thing I'm really curious about is that they've signed Goldobin for another year to see if he's the real thing or not. There's absolutely no point in playing him if he isn't on one of the top two lines, he's totally out of his comfort zone otherwise and you're never going to see his potential, so who would they demote?

The defence would appear to select itself, with Biega there for when Tanev gets injured.

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Eriksson on the other hand, can be put on waivers, as no teams will take his $6,000,000 contract, so he is basically waiver exempt

LOL o LOL, I howled, but so true...

Its actually very clever; #assetmanagement 

My only quim, could see Biega down via waivers. If the Loui story did not pan out as you project. Or if Gaudette compells himself onto the roster. Or Juolevi? Biega, at over 30, is also fundamentally waiver exempt. He's small enough he slides through the strainer on the way...

I do think you have the roster nailed. I take Miller on Petey's line, but that's being fussy.  Green will blend & rotate those guys a lot.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

#2. The Canucks will be trading one of Pearson or  Baertschi after the first month, pending injuries (preference to Baertschi due to size and concussion issues)

This is also a pretty good exit strategy.  Viable.  May not get a ton, but viable.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL o LOL, I howled, but so true...

Its actually very clever; #assetmanagement 

My only quim, could see Biega down via waivers. If the Loui story did not pan out as you project. Or if Gaudette compells himself onto the roster. Or Juolevi? Biega, at over 30, is also fundamentally waiver exempt. He's small enough he slides through the strainer on the way...

I do think you have the roster nailed. I take Miller on Petey's line, but that's being fussy.  Green will blend & rotate those guys a lot.

Thanks Surfer

Yeah, I actually thought about Biega, but the truth is he fills a hole as the 8th RHD and jumps into the lineup like he has played all season...…..I love his attitude, a constant professional, and a great role model for those on the fringe, either sitting on the Canucks waiting to come up from Utica or on the Canucks hanging on. He is very unselfish.

My 3 young guns on Utica who will push this year IMO, are Gaudette, McEwen and Juolevi, all of which would made our team out of camp 2 years ago, again IMO. I think Benning has a great problem happening, but one he will have to address at some point this year. With the possible addition of Tryamkin, that is 4 NHLers that Benning will have to find a spot for. It has been a long time since we have seen that.

It is pretty nice when you can look on the farm and see that and more, and still have Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Rathbone and Woo, still in junior

That is not including those B prospects in Utica that should produce another 1 or 2. …….just a quick shout out for Sautner, who just plays such a simple game, and Brisebois who I believe has solid potential to make it some day. But there are others :)

I have listened and watched the Canucks since before they were in the NHL, and I have never seen such depth. It makes you wonder who will rise from the 2019 Draft class to join the list.

• Upvote 1

I have also been surveying the contracts due over the next 2 years after this...……….

Tanev and Markstrom are the only ones due at the end of this season, and "IF" Tryamkin arrives, Tanev will be moved at the TDL this year...I think Benning will know by then what is happening with the BFG. Markstrom will get a 10% raise at least, if he is still here, which I think he will be....so I do not see any real troubles next summer...….

The summer following, will have the Pettersson and Hughes contracts coming up, as well as Pearson, Baertschi, and Sutter's. With Eriksson and Luongo's money coming off a year later, which along with any increase in salary cap, will be ample money's to deal with the dynamic duo.

So, as much as the Canucks Cap space will be tight, I think there will be ample room, for any important contracts that come up in the next 2 years...…….I think that these are problems of the good teams...……….glad to have them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have also been surveying the contracts due over the next 2 years after this.....

Next summer will be tight. But not skin tight.  Really, we can go status quo.  Markstrom & Tanev are potentially coming off the books, but also Schaller. Virtanen & Stecher will be due raises.  Nothing dramatic as yet.  If they do surprise and jump up the tables. It will be a good problem?

Effectively we could sign one free agent?  Say Tyson Barrie. If two of three among Markstrom, Tanev & devil in the room Eriksson are dispatched. Should be able to keep all bodies? But have no play money, If one of Tanev, Markstrom & Eriksson are no longer here.

I am assuming at least one, most likely Tanev will move on.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Next summer will be tight. But not skin tight.  Really, we can go status quo.  Markstrom & Tanev are potentially coming off the books, but also Schaller. Virtanen & Stecher will be due raises.  Nothing dramatic as yet.  If they do surprise and jump up the tables. It will be a good problem?

Effectively we could sign one free agent?  Say Tyson Barrie. If two of three among Markstrom, Tanev & devil in the room Eriksson are dispatched. Should be able to keep all bodies? But have no play money, If one of Tanev, Markstrom & Eriksson are no longer here.

I am assuming at least one, most likely Tanev will move on.

Not saying that you are wrong Surfer

But honestly, this next summer, we have to be very careful

No doubt Barrie would be nice, but at what cost?

And with the Cap possibly being flat next year, or the next

Which there is some talk about

I think we have to look at our team, and ask if we can develop

our future from within? Which has some protection in it in the form of ELC's

I am not against, adding, but look what Eriksson has done in regards to cap

1 costly flub, and it could cost you a 1st, prospect and player, to get rid of your problem

"IF" you can even do that.

Just as a second thought here............but, I am wishing and praying Eriksson takes off and has a good year, and gets some value

we need him gone, regardless of whether his play is good or bad.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

ask if we can develop

our future from within? Which has some protection in it in the form of ELC's

Be a great surprise if Woo is ready? They say he is physically.  But I would bet he'll need some time for the speed. Lest we ruin his confidence. Slow an steady wins the race!

And we, fingers crossed, also may get Tryamkin back...

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1

If the Canucks can't figure out a contract with Boeser well then..

I think it's absolut bullsh** that he's not at camp now and that nowadays RFA signings are so $&!#ty as they are now. Marner rejects 7/8 years 10mil wtf is wrong?

Are todays players & agents so greedy and care so less about a franchise with the goal to compete?!

I still hope he's in the opening lineup then the last thing we need is a nylander situation in vancouver.

Maybe someone has more information about the current situation?

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Be a great surprise if Woo is ready? They say he is physically.  But I would bet he'll need some time for the speed. Lest we ruin his confidence. Slow an steady wins the race!

And we, fingers crossed, also may get Tryamkin back...

Brogan Rafferty is a puck moving right shot defence man that's been showing a lot of promise. He could be ready to crack the line up next season. 

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Brogan Rafferty is a puck moving right shot defence man that's been showing a lot of promise. He could be ready to crack the line up next season. 

Rafferty is entering his draft plus 7 year.  If he makes it, I will be surprised.  The definition of a late bloomer. 

He was not good enough for the USHL until he was 20, his draft plus 3 year. The NCAA till 21 draft plus 4.  Everything learned, and earned, not a blue chip talent. As amazing as Burrows even playing an NHL game if he makes it.  

My take is that effort, the knack for developing is a work rate, signed to give maturity and his PMD play style to our Comets team. Without having to use an AHL vet roster spot.  But Green was quoted 2 days ago as Rafferty among the surprises so far?

Me being a doubter wont limit him with Green & Benning. 

I want to see Miller between Ferland and Virtanen at some point to create havoc!   I also like loading up the top line with Bo, Brock and Pettersson, maybe not all the time, but to shake things up or when down a goal late.  Not sure how the other two lines would shake out.... maybe something like this.  Its a decent typical 3rd line and an unorthodox 4th line with some skill to play limited minuets against the other teams 4th line... Alternate double shifting EP40 and Bo onto the 4th line C to play with Bear and Goldy to spread out and throw off how the other team defends.

EP40    -   Bo   -   Brock

Ferland   Miller   Virtanen

Leivo     Sutter   Pearson

Baer      Beagle   Goldy?

• 2 weeks later...

So, it looks like it will be the following:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Gaudette, Eriksson

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

1) Gaudette goes back to Utica after 10 games if he can’t definitively beat out Sutter for that 3rd line spot.

2) Eriksson gets sent down when Roussel returns.

3) The “rusty” Roussel, Leivo, Virtanen, Schaller, And Motte will compete against one another to see who doesn’t become the 13th forward.

5 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

So, it looks like it will be the following:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Gaudette, Eriksson

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

1) Gaudette goes back to Utica after 10 games if he can’t definitively beat out Sutter for that 3rd line spot.

2) Eriksson gets sent down when Roussel returns.

3) The “rusty” Roussel, Leivo, Virtanen, Schaller, And Motte will compete against one another to see who doesn’t become the 13th forward.

edit - nm

Edited by Hindustan Smyl