The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Tobias Rieder

is this Signing Confirmed yet? 

Eliteprospects shows him still on a PTO. Capfriendly also ....

here it is....

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-sign-tobias-rieder/c-309551312

The Calgary Flames announce today that they have signed forward Tobias Rieder to a one year, two-way contract.

TERM: One year, Two-Way
AAV: $700,000

Rieder, a native of Landshut, Germany, is a veteran of 379 NHL games split between the Arizona Coyotes, Los Angeles Kings and Edmonton Oilers. The 26-year-old has a career total of 128 points (55G, 73A) over his six seasons in the NHL. Rieder has represented Germany on Team Europe at the World Cup in 2016. He's also played in a total of 21 World Championship games for Team Germany and finished as a Top 3 Player on his Team during the 2015 World Championship tournament.

Edited by Bombastik der Teutone

On 9/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, oldnews said:

Exactly.  How pathetic it was of Deadmonton to blame a $2 milion placeholder winger for their production problems last year.  That was laughable.

The Lottery Champions could not find winger scoring anywhere - centers like McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH - perenial affirmative draft action from the league - and they blame their problems on a depth winger.  Pathetic.  Never seen a managament group get such an extended patronage pass - on an absolutely horrible job - over the span of at least a decade.  But Reider was the problem lol.

That said - I think they made one of the best off-ice (if not the best) in the offseason - bringing in Dave Tippett.  If he can't turn that into an NHL team, I'm not sure who could.  I think they'll likely be a vastly improved team without the puck - and it won't surprise me a bit if they improve considerably this year - they have the paper-team to rise back to a playoff contender, and I think they may have added the coach they needed.

They absolutely do not have a playoff team, especially on paper

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Davathor said:

They absolutely do not have a playoff team, especially on paper

Whatever.  You're obviously from the future.

Aside from their relatively weak winger group, I'd disagree with you - and regardless, I'd expect them to be a far better two way hockey team moving forward under Tippett.

Will that happen overnight = probably not - but one thing the 'modern' NHL is not, is predictable.

The 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12 Coyotes probably weren't 'paper' playoff teams, and yet they won 135 games....

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Whatever.  You're obviously from the future.

Aside from their relatively weak winger group, I'd disagree with you - and regardless, I'd expect them to be a far better two way hockey team moving forward under Tippett.

Will that happen overnight = probably not - but one thing the 'modern' NHL is not, is predictable.

The 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12 Coyotes probably weren't 'paper' playoff teams, and yet they won 135 games....

Their goaltending is a mess, no winger depth, and sub par defence. I don't think anyone here would trade rosters, and we are considered a playoff bubble team on paper.... so how exactly do the Oilers improve from the second worst team in the west to playoffs? You must have a lot more faith in Neal and Granlund than everyone else who watches or covers hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Their goaltending is a mess, no winger depth, and sub par defence. I don't think anyone here would trade rosters, and we are considered a playoff bubble team on paper.... so how exactly do the Oilers improve from the second worst team in the west to playoffs? You must have a lot more faith in Neal and Granlund than everyone else who watches or covers hockey.

I'd take Neal over Lucic in a heartbeat - if you're intent to spin off on micro-tangents that have nothing to do with what I posted..   And spare me the. strawman about 'faith' in Granlund - he's a bottom six winger there, possibly a mere placeholder, and not bad enough that he's going to be held responsible if they have a poor season.  Maybe in Deadmonton, where a guy like Reider can shoulder the blame for under-achieving, but not in the minds of anyone that thinks about it.   Your efforts to make me a 'fan' or believer in the Oilers is a stretch to say the least - if you're honestly responding to what I was saying, you'd realize it's entirely about the impact that a coach like Tippett can have - that for me is the wild card there.

I wouldn't trade rosters with them - not even close - but the reason the Canucks are considered a bubble team imo is the uncertainty that comes when your core is 20,21,22 years old - and you've had perenial deep injuries to your 'foundation' (Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle...).   At this point, I'd far rather be moving forward with the Canucks future(s) - but that is not the question - my point had literally nothing to do with comparing rosters or trajectories to the Canucks (who would not surprise me if they compete for a playoff spot).  

The Oilers may not be notably improved - aside from behind the bench - but who among the Pacific are?  Ducks, Coyotes, Oilers, Flames, Kings, Canucks....room for a team or two to rise i that mix imo.

I'm not arguing that the Oilers are deep - but what they do have is a helluva battery - down the middle McD, Draisaitl, RNH - young D like Klefbom, Nurse - I think Larsson is highly under-rated, I like guys like Bear and Benning.  I also really like some of their prospects - guys like Benson, Yamamoto..   When it comes down to it, they have have had a 'better' roster a few years ago when they won 47 games (I'm not sure it was better tbh, perhaps with the exception of Talbot vs Smith) - but it was hard to take that team seriously - they were a pond hockey team.  

I think Tippett makes more out of less than they've seen in quite some time - so I will not be surprised if they start to rebound as a team - the one thing they should absolutely be under Tippett is a better systems team - and that was probably their most consistent weak spot (they have had paper talent for years, but a mediocre managment group).  Like Babcock improved a weak Leafs team early in his tenure there, I wouldn't be surprised to see a different type of Oilers on ice, finally.   Do they have the depth to truly compete - maybe not - but I don't think considering them a candidate bubble team in the Pacific is much of a stretch.

Edited by oldnews
  • Wat 1