The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where y’all from?

Rate this topic

70seven

On 10/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I lived in Lethbridge for a year back in 2012.   I ate my first egg roll and man made porridge down there.    I’m currently living in Beijing however.   I’m originally from Vancouver Island.

You mean Beijing as in China?  You been to the Great Wall?  No not Dom Hasek. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s totally cool.  See the world when young, and physically able.  Would you say, from your experience, that the basic folk like us are pretty much the same there and here?  

Young....ish I would say. ;)  (38).    As far as comparisons go, I would say that there are as many similarities as differences, but I wouldn’t be able to really sum up my thoughts in a small paragraph.   

I’d say the biggest difference between Chinese people (and Westerners) is that you will almost always know if a Westerner is angry with you as they will usually express their thoughts in one form or another.  In China, they have the “face” concept and so you will often times have no idea if someone is angry with you or has a personal issue with you.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Young....ish I would say. ;)  (38).    As far as comparisons go, I would say that there are as many similarities as differences, but I wouldn’t be able to really sum up my thoughts in a small paragraph.   

I’d say the biggest difference between Chinese people (and Westerners) is that you will almost always know if a Westerner is angry with you as they will usually express their thoughts in one form or another.  In China, they have the “face” concept and so you will often times have no idea if someone is angry with you or has a personal issue with you.   

I’m wondering more about the basic desire to have ones children live a better life than the parents.  I’ve never really been anywhere, but have this belief that, when it comes to our kids, we are all the same.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering more about the basic desire to have ones children live a better life than the parents.  I’ve never really been anywhere, but have this belief that, when it comes to our kids, we are all the same.  

Oh yes.   They are the exact same in that regard.   The Chinese Education system is EXTREMELY demanding on kids and so many Chinese parents seriously consider inmigrating overseas if they have the money, so that their kids won’t have to go through the extreme stress that they had to.    

Life is quite tough in China.   From what I’ve seen, people here have to work extremely hard and work extremely long hours.    Lots of financial pressure on young married couples since they have to take care of both their parents (often live in the home so that they can look after the grandkids) and children.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, John McClane said:

Born in Vancouver then moved to Terrace - Vernon - Kamloops - Vernon - Kelowna - Three Hills - Calgary- High River - Lethbridge - Coaldale - Red Deer - Lethbridge. 

Goal is to eventually move back to the Okanogan. But for now the Windy City will have to do. 

So you live in LA (Lethbridge, Alberta) :P   I know people who live/lived in Lethbridge.

I'm originally from BC, lived in Calgary for a few years.  I got tired of shoveling the sidewalk so we moved to Northern California.  We can drive to the Sierras to "visit" the snow if we feel like it.

Edited by Cali Canuck
Typos

1 hour ago, Cali Canuck said:

So you live in LA (Lethbridge, Alberta) :P   I know people who live/lived in Lethbridge.

I'm originally from BC, lived in Calgary for a few years.  I got tired of shoveling the sidewalk so we moved to Northern California.  We can drive to the Sierras to "visit" the snow if we feel like it.

I wish. Last week it was 21c in the afternoon. 24 hours later it was -4 and I had shoveled 2 1/2 ft of snow. If I could afford to live somewhere else I’d move tomorrow. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, John McClane said:

I wish. Last week it was 21c in the afternoon. 24 hours later it was -4 and I had shoveled 2 1/2 ft of snow. If I could afford to live somewhere else I’d move tomorrow. 

People in Lethbridge hate Calgary based sports team with a passion, lol.    It’s hardcore Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Oilers nation down there.