The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Extinction Rebellion - More Traffic Disruption Planned For Vancouver Friday

DonLever

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

probably, been poppin in and out of the thread.

my bad.

I read your post and the old Public Enemy 'Rebel without a Pause' song jumped in my head ( ...no gun, and still never on the run) . It would actually be a fun theme song for the protesters..

Lol, no stress man, was just thinking about a bunch of pinner millenials rushing some red necks. I have a vivid imagination.

2 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Lol, no stress man, was just thinking about a bunch of pinner millenials rushing some red necks. I have a vivid imagination.

A lot of these kids are post-millenials, under 22....they're not very scared. In fact they are angry, seems to me not many of us old folks are listening to their concerns about their future.

I appreciate a good imagination though. I have quite a few rednecks in my fam and friends. Most are over weight and smoke, but their trucks look pretty scary I suppose.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

A lot of these kids are post-millenials, under 22....they're not very scared. In fact they are angry, seems to me not many of us old folks are listening to their concerns about their future.

I appreciate a good imagination though. I have quite a few rednecks in my fam and friends. Most are over weight and smoke, but their trucks look pretty scary I suppose.

Hmmm most of the guys I know that are red necks I wouldn't want to screw with, and know more about conservation in a hands on way than these "kids"

its a reaction to what they've seen and heard on TV mostly - this is more group think at its finest - I dare you to find a novel idea or a viable solution from most. (I won't generalize as I'm sure there are a few that have great ideas but they won't be heard over the screaming and yelling.)

the gun owners I know also, aren't pussies and don't own to show off or feel big about themselves either.

lots of steriotyping going on here (goes along with finger pointing)

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

1 hour ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

You know if the natural gas shut off to BC for 3 days we would be lights out.....sooo they probably have better things to do than yell indiscriminately and block traffic.

Although with the extra fuel used it would be in their best interest as their stocks would rise.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

I'm the guy that doesn't have to curse in order to make a point.

I also didn't have time to answer a rather silly simple question.

But now I've got a bit of time so:

climate has been changing for billions of years. The issue now however is:

Is human activity changing the climate for the worse, in terms of animal extinction, acidification of the ocean, pollution of the air etc..

So now you admit to saying "block me". See that wasn't so very hard was it?

So like @kingofsurrey you said exactly the same thing @nuckin_futz said. 

• Upvote 1

climate has been changing for billions of years. The issue now however is:

Is human activity changing the climate for the worse, in terms of animal extinction, acidification of the ocean, pollution of the air etc..

The point you seem to be missing is the ask of what is the point they are trying to make with these protest?

If you truly believe that there’s a huge problem coming then why the hell are you focused on pointing fingers at people who can do absolutely nothing as fixing that huge problem. 

Any person with the slightest understanding of global CO2 emissions would understand that you’re painting the wrong people as the villains and thus this crusade of “shaming” Canada doesn’t appear just in what you say the cause is. It really comes across as greenwashing and a way for individuals to pass guilt in a attempt to appease their own conscience.  If they truly cared about Global warming and truly wanted to reduce the worlds global footprint, then attack the countries who are at root of this problem.   Again if you truly believe there is a huge problem a head in our future, why are you putting so much effort into a country that represents a tiny spec. 

Let’s play their game and say they got all there asks and we completely stopped every single emission for an entire year, utterly destroying this economy and all of it’s citizens quality of life…. the worlds emissions would still rise at an accelerated rate and we’d be no closer as solving this climate crisis.  Where is the logic in that destroying ourselves at the benefit of ????. If you’re looking for martyrdom, they’d be more effective simply walking off bridge completely erasing their carbon footprints. 

Ill ask it again to reiterate, what is the goal of these protests? 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The point you seem to be missing is the ask of what is the point they are trying to make with these protest?

If you truly believe that there’s a huge problem coming then why the hell are you focused on pointing fingers at people who can do absolutely nothing as fixing that huge problem. 

Any person with the slightest understanding of global CO2 emissions would understand that you’re painting the wrong people as the villains and thus this crusade of “shaming” Canada doesn’t appear just in what you say the cause is. It really comes across as greenwashing and a way for individuals to pass guilt in a attempt to appease their own conscience.  If they truly cared about Global warming and truly wanted to reduce the worlds global footprint, then attack the countries who are at root of this problem.   Again if you truly believe there is a huge problem a head in our future, why are you putting so much effort into a country that represents a tiny spec. 

Let’s play their game and say they got all there asks and we completely stopped every single emission for an entire year, utterly destroying this economy and all of it’s citizens quality of life…. the worlds emissions would still rise at an accelerated rate and we’d be no closer as solving this climate crisis.  Where is the logic in that destroying ourselves at the benefit of ????. If you’re looking for martyrdom, they’d be more effective simply walking off bridge completely erasing their carbon footprints. 

You really think north american  Co2 emissions haver zero effect on the global climate ?

You think that the Alberta oilsands has zero impact on rising earths temperatures ? 

Seriously ?  wow......

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

change is incremental and leadership is required. if Canada takes serious steps to deal with this issue, will that 'solve' it? No. But that's how change works, it's slow and has to be lead by people with the means to make it happen and be the leader. Gay rights, women's rights, banning DDT, etc etc etc. All started by smaller nations as an act of leadership and are now relatively common or law across the world. 

The whole premise behind your position is 'if everyone else doesn't do it why should we' is a self destructive dead end. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something but what does that have to do with my comment? 

Have been finishing off my countertop for the last 20 mins so may not be at full capacity lol

Sorry bud didn't realize I quoted you I meant to upvote your post.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sorry bud didn't realize I quoted you I meant to upvote your post.

I told you to be careful around  those bitumen fumes......

Next thing you know... you could be upvoting some Pro justin T threads...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Hmmm most of the guys I know that are red necks I wouldn't want to screw with, and know more about conservation in a hands on way than these "kids"

its a reaction to what they've seen and heard on TV mostly - this is more group think at its finest - I dare you to find a novel idea or a viable solution from most. (I won't generalize as I'm sure there are a few that have great ideas but they won't be heard over the screaming and yelling.)

the gun owners I know also, aren't pussies and don't own to show off or feel big about themselves either.

lots of steriotyping going on here (goes along with finger pointing)

oh yeah my friend.

We both have done that in just a few posts.

People are people, and are all different. 

My bro is a redneck and would scrap anyone...just that he is over weight and smokes...also has a bum knee.

My cousin won accuracy titles in shooting while in the Brit military, was deployed in many nasty areas (Afghanistan, Iraq etc) and trained in recon. He's a vegan lefty that would be on that bridge today. He would avoid fighting, even though he has competed in Mauy Thai and Boxing. 

I don't agree with most stereo types.

For example, one that is all over this thread is criticism of these kids..lots of the youth I know are tough . IMO they deal with way more stress and down right brutality than I grew up with.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You really think north american  Co2 emissions haver zero effect on the global climate ?

You think that the Alberta oilsands has zero impact on rising earths temperatures ? 

Seriously ?  wow......

Yeah I think and science back me up that China and India’s year to year growth in CO2 emissions is the equivalent to 10 years of CO2 emissions of the oil sands.

Canada represents 1.6% of global emissions. Global Emissions are increasing at 2.7%.even if Canada produces ZERO emissions the global emissions still grows.  You would think about how vocal and passionate you are about this topic that you would have done one ounce of research on it. I guess that’s a lot to ask for nowadays. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, inane said:

change is incremental and leadership is required. if Canada takes serious steps to deal with this issue, will that 'solve' it? No. But that's how change works, it's slow and has to be lead by people with the means to make it happen and be the leader. Gay rights, women's rights, banning DDT, etc etc etc. All started by smaller nations as an act of leadership and are now relatively common or law across the world. 

The whole premise behind your position is 'if everyone else doesn't do it why should we' is a self destructive dead end. 

Didn’t you hear this is a climate emergency. We’ve got less than 12 years left. :frantic:   

PS gay rights and women’s rights is far from a global victory. And global warms requires all countries across the global to buy in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

oh yeah my friend.

We both have done that in just a few posts.

People are people, and are all different. 

My bro is a redneck and would scrap anyone...just that he is over weight and smokes...also has a bum knee.

My cousin won accuracy titles in shooting while in the Brit military, was deployed in many nasty areas (Afghanistan, Iraq etc) and trained in recon. He's a vegan lefty that would be on that bridge today. He would avoid fighting, even though he has competed in Mauy Thai and Boxing. 

I don't agree with most stereo types.

For example, one that is all over this thread is criticism of these kids..lots of the youth I know are tough . IMO they deal with way more stress and down right brutality than I grew up with.

I can 100% agree on your thoughts here... maybe I should be more empathetic even though I think their values are mis placed. Maybe that's the plight of age talking. Those damn kids with their rock music! And so forth.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Didn’t you hear this is a climate emergency. We’ve got less than 12 years left. :frantic:   

PS gay rights and women’s rights is far from a global victory. And global warms requires all countries across the global to buy in.

ignorance is bliss

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

just bunch of people who do not have real jobs, living in has tenants  acting up. SERIOUSLY if you want to protest go march up in Victoria or city hall. DOnt block a bridge and make people late for work school appointsment or other things that normal people do.

The more our state becomes a welfare accepted society the more votes the Liberals (and other far leftist types) get.  It's a sad reality that our current government supports these protests, in hopes of gaining more votes.  Give people a free ride, and they will definitely vote for you.  Totally bad for our country's future.  (Okay tree huggers.  I put that one on a tee for you.) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Right back at you.

Stupid is as stupid does.

-forest gump

i just don't understand how you can live your life with that philosophy. it's cowardly and sheepish, which is ironic considering what you label others.