The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Excessive Speeding Prohibition

Thirty Niner

On 10/13/2019 at 2:03 PM, Alflives said:

Maybe the Cocahalla should have no speed limit?  Add the Island highway too.  Have some roads where fast cars can give’r.

Make it a TV show too.  “Highways of speed, disaster, and death”. 

A number of years ago the government raised the speed limit on the Island Hwy to 120.  Serious crashes went up.  So last year they dialed the speed limit back to 110.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/speed-limits-to-be-lowered-on-three-vancouver-island-highways-1.4165519

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

So, obviously, any time for you is a good time to tailgate; otherwise, what makes for a good scenario?

I'm genuinely curious.

Obviously tailgating is not safe so I don't suggest people doing it, but I will and only time I will is when that driver continues to drive in the far left lane on the highway while the right hand lanes are open. Heck I've seen both lanes on the right open and they continue to drive in the left lane passing no one, obviously I'm not tailgating them then because I'm in the right hand lane watching them because no one is infront of me to pass. I do end up passing many in the center lane and because they just wouldn't move over, but I throw my hands up and shake my head at them as I pass. But it pisses me off that I have to pass them on the right hand lane because that's illegal but they force me too by not moving over.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Dude I've been driving for 18 years I've done the honking I've done the headlights it doesn't work maybe 1 out of 10. I'm well aware of tailgating and it being illegal, but so is driving in the left lane when not passing anyone on the highway, which you continue to ignore. Lots of accidents are created because of this kind of stupid driving and forcing vehicles to pass on the right hand lane which is also illegal, it's not like I was in the right hand lane and then moved over to the left lane to tailgate the person right away, I give them tons of time to move over as I'm approaching them and that just means their 1 either an idiot, 2 not looking in their mirrors like they should be, or 3 they think they own the road and can do whatever they want. Someone needs to scare them over and that's me, your welcome!

So you're that guy who raises our ICBC rates, thanks a lot buddy.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

So you're that guy who raises our ICBC rates, thanks a lot buddy.

Funny in 18 years I haven't had an accident, so try again, but continue to ignore the issue I keep bringing up that forces people to pass them on the right which creates more accidents, you can thank those people who drive in the left lane who create accidents to keep your ICBC rates going up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny in 18 years I haven't had an accident, so try again, but continue to ignore the issue I keep bringing up that forces people to pass them on the right which creates more accidents, you can thank those people who drive in the left lane who create accidents to keep your ICBC rates going up.

Sorry officer, he forced me to break the law. 

Lol

• Upvote 2

Just now, inane said:

Yes, that's my point. Your weird argument that you were forced to do something illegal cause someone else was doing something illegal. 

Umm if that person doesn't move over to the right lane, use some common sense only way to get passed them is going on the right hand lane to pass them, are you a N driver or something?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What the Highway needs is more highway patrol officers to start handing out tickets to stupid drivers who continue to drive in the left hand not passing anyone and don't move over to the right, it's the only way drivers will get the message unfortunately.

I'm on the highway quite a lot, and the people who pass me are people who are legit speeding. LOL. Mind you, I stay on the rightest of right lanes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I'm on the highway quite a lot, and the people who pass me are people who are legit speeding. LOL. Mind you, I stay on the rightest of right lanes.

That is normally the case if they're passing, but it's not the drivers responsibility to slow those cars down by sitting in the left lane, all their doing now is forcing those speeders to swerve in-between lanes which is more dangerous, just move out of there way and let them get the speeding ticket. I always drive in the right hand lane unless I'm going to pass someone, and sometimes when I do this another car is infront of me doing the same so I let them pass that car then give them a bit to move over again but they just don't, that's when I get mad and do what I have said in this topic. Once I pass someone I move over to the right if open right away, there's no reason for me to be occupying the left lane if I'm not passing anyone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

"Keep right, except to pass" is not a law, it's a suggestion. Much the same as off ramp "speed limits".

You, sir, need more wheel time. I've been a professional driver for 30+ years. Your attitude is abysmal.

Quite frankly, you need to straighten up.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

36 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

"Keep right, except to pass" is not a law, it's a suggestion. Much the same as off ramp "speed limits".

You, sir, need more wheel time. I've been a professional driver for 30+ years. Your attitude is abysmal.

It is a law, you can get a $167 ticket for hogging the left lane.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Left+lane+hogs+beware+rules+highway+drivers+could+ticket/11131792/story.html

Its surprising you are a professional driver and yet don't know the rules.

Edited by DonLever
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, DonLever said:

It is a law, you can get a $167 ticket for hogging the left lane.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Left+lane+hogs+beware+rules+highway+drivers+could+ticket/11131792/story.html

Its surprising you are a professional driver and yet don't know the rules.

It is the law when traffic is not congested/traveling more than 50km/h. yes.

Running up the Coquihalla highway to Kamloops many times over the past few years I am definitely guilty of excessive speed more than once. Not saying it is right.  You don't really mention where it was or how much over you were doing.  Though there are many stretches of road with ridiculously weird speed limits that could get you in trouble going more than 30 over.

I was pulled over out of Falkland last year doing 133 in a 90 area.  When the Officer walked up I was expecting an impound and a huge issue as I was on vacation.  I fully owned it when he asked why, luckily he took pity on me.  At any rate.  HUGE WAKE UP CALL!!!

At any rate, own it.  I'd say contact the superintendent of motor vehicles if he hasn't already contacted you.  Talk it out with them.

The prohibition is one thing, I'd be more worried about your car insurance going forward.

2 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

30+ years of driving and says it's a suggestion only to move to right on the highway  :towel:

Your inexperience in driving is showing.

I have an air ticket, I was taught that in school regarding off ramp speeds they're a suggested speed, but thanks anyways tips.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Oh here's another pet peeve of mine and drivers, USE YOUR GOD DAMN TURN SIGNALS WHEN YOU'RE CHANGING LANES, OR GOING TO TURN, putting it on while you're already in the middle of turning or changing lanes is now POINTLESS. 

TURN IT ON BEFORE.

I'm sure the guy with 30+ years of driving experience will find a way to disagree with that statement to, and say something like it's not mandatory for them to use their signals.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh here's another pet peeve of mine and drivers, USE YOUR GOD DAMN TURN SIGNALS WHEN YOU'RE CHANGING LANES, OR GOING TO TURN, putting in on while you're already in the middle of turning or changing lanes is now POINTLESS. 

TURN IT ON BEFORE.

I'm sure the guy with 30+ years of driving experience will find a way to disagree with that statement to, and say something like it's not mandatory for them to use their signals.

Says the egomaniacal tailgater.

See you in the ditch.

Remind us all which roads you frequent...so we can stay out of you way.