The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Excessive Speeding Prohibition

Thirty Niner

People arguing that speed isn't an issue are wrong.

Your reaction time factors in...you can't slow down as fast, people who hit the brakes when speeding lose control of the car, etc.

Also...defensive driving comes into play.  If another car is turning out from a side road and you are speeding they may not assess the speed  to be what it is and assume you're traveling at the posted limit.  People lane change...there are multiple lanes we're driving on here..speeding means you're likely weaving in/out of traffic.  Other people do things abruptly and that means you may have to react and be able to slow down quickly.   Speeding doesn't allow you as much assessment time for when those things happen. 

It isn't rocket science -    the impact when speeding will be much more severe when speeding than if going slower.  A dent becomes a full on write off situation with speeders.

Tailgating IS as bad .... they both are.  But if you're speeding and someone changes lanes into the one you're in, suddenly you may be (tailgating).

With that, 50 is too slow and the limit should be 60-70.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Your reaction time factors in...you can't slow down as fast, people who hit the brakes when speeding lose control of the car, etc.

Also...defensive driving comes into play.  If another car is turning out from a side road and you are speeding they may not assess the speed  to be what it is.  People lane change...these multiple lanes we're driving on...speeding means you're likely weaving in/out of traffic.  Other people do things abruptly and that means you may have to react and be able to slow down quickly.   Speeding doesn't allow you as much assessment time for when those things happen. 

It isn't rocket science -    the impact when speeding will be much more severe when speeding than if going slower.  A dent becomes a full on write off situation with speeders.

Tailgating IS as bad .... they both are.

I dunno. I feel like the speed limit is fine at 50. There's plenty of opportunity to go faster outside of the city, but i think the real problem are the drivers. Anyone involved in an accident should be given a mandatory course on what they did wrong before they can drive again. Yes, this will be difficult to enforce, perhaps it may be too extreme. But education seems to be lacking with ppl.

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Also...defensive driving comes into play.  If another car is turning out from a side road and you are speeding they may not assess the speed  to be what it is.  People lane change...these multiple lanes we're driving on...speeding means you're likely weaving in/out of traffic.  Other people do things abruptly and that means you may have to react and be able to slow down quickly.   Speeding doesn't allow you as much assessment time for when those things happen. 

Tailgating IS as bad .... they both are.  But if you're speeding and someone changes lane into the one you're in, suddenly you may be (tailgating).

Are speed limits based on the volume of traffic, and potential for needing to stop quickly?  I think some vehicles just don’t stop as quickly as others, especially big trucks.  Big Trucks should have slower limits than cars.  

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are speed limits based on the volume of traffic, and potential for needing to stop quickly?  I think some vehicles just don’t stop as quickly as others, especially big trucks.  Big Trucks should have slower limits than cars.  

I'm in a city where every other car is a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc.   A few cars that have been in the news and are valued in the hundreds of thousands of dollar. They rip past here constantly...love to revvvvvvvvv at the corner/stop light then take off like a bullet.  I can hear them long after they've gone past.

I have no idea about speed limits and how they're arrived at.  Seem pretty standardized between city streets, highways, school zones, etc.  Steveston Highway is 50...which is kind of ridiculous and slow as NO ONE travels at that rate.  So you either tick off a whole bunch of people or keep up with the flow of traffic.

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Tailgating means you are opening yourself to a rear ended collision. It's your fault in an accident, you know, for not allowing gap control. Stuff like this trumps the belief that ppl in the left hand lane should go faster than ppl in the right lane.

If they are in fact slow, give them a honk at a distance at least. Tailgating is just dumb AF. If he slams the breaks to 'get back at you', it's an auto loss for you unless there's a witness.

No driving in the left lane on the highway not passing anyone while watching everyone else pass you on the right side in the middle lane is dumb AF. Move over to the appropriate lane if you don't want them tailgating you, stop being a douche and move over.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

No driving in the left lane on the highway not passing anyone while watching everyone else pass you on the right side in the middle lane is dumb AF. Move over to the appropriate lane if you don't want them tailgating you, stop being a douche and move over.

It's illegal. But you driving aggressively and illegally doesn't help. Spoiler alert--makes you even douchier.

• Upvote 1

Playing devil's advocate here, but I am of a particular mentality that speed limits actually create speeders. If the speed limits were suddenly taken away, how many people who don't already speed would actually drive faster? Would it actually make drivers drive so fast they wouldn't be able to have control or would drivers still be responsible? I would argue that people driving faster at that point would be the same people as the people speeding now.

Speed limits I'm sure help in some situations such as school zones, but aside from that, what really changes without them?

But, overall, speed limits don't change attitudes. The responsible driver will still drive responsibly while the reckless driver will still drive reckless. What we really need are ways to stop the reckless drivers from driving reckless. Speed limits do nothing against that.

That being said, I am very much against tailgaters. it's my number 1 pet peeve with them risking my life along with their own out there.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You missed the point of my sentence.

Tailgating is stupid because you are putting yourself at risk for an accident. I think most people understand that the left lane is for faster cars, but for those who don't remember/don't realize, you could either flash your lights or honk at him/her. Tailgating is really not a good solution.

3 hours ago, inane said:

It's illegal. But you driving aggressively and illegally doesn't help. Spoiler alert--makes you even douchier.

I know you're not arguing FOR tailgating, but I'm not sure if it's "illegal". It's just that when you tailgate someone and you get into rear-ender, you are automatically at fault unless a witness can vouch for you. Good luck with that.

The lesson today is: don't tailgate, kids.

Edit: It IS illegal after all.

Edited by Dazzle

44 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I know you're not arguing FOR tailgating, but I'm not sure if it's "illegal". It's just that when you tailgate someone and you get into rear-ender, you are automatically at fault unless a witness can vouch for you. Good luck with that.

The lesson today is: don't tailgate, kids.

It is illegal/part of the MVA.

"Following too closely

162   (1)A driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the amount and nature of traffic on and the condition of the highway.

(2)The driver of a commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles, when driving on a roadway outside a business or residence district, must not follow within 60 m of another commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles, but this must not be construed to prevent one commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles overtaking and passing another.

(3)The driver of a motor vehicle in a caravan or motorcade, other than a funeral procession, outside a business or residence district, must leave sufficient space between his or her vehicle and another vehicle or combination of vehicles to enable a vehicle to enter and occupy that space without danger."

Source

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

It is illegal/part of the MVA.

"Following too closely

162   (1)A driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the amount and nature of traffic on and the condition of the highway.

(2)The driver of a commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles, when driving on a roadway outside a business or residence district, must not follow within 60 m of another commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles, but this must not be construed to prevent one commercial motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles overtaking and passing another.

(3)The driver of a motor vehicle in a caravan or motorcade, other than a funeral procession, outside a business or residence district, must leave sufficient space between his or her vehicle and another vehicle or combination of vehicles to enable a vehicle to enter and occupy that space without danger."

Source

I stand corrected. Thank you for the source. I don't tailgate but now I know for sure it is indeed illegal now.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, inane said:

How about everyone stop being inconsiderate douche nozzles?

Tailgater shouldn't be tailgating. Left lane idiot should move the hell over and be traveling with the speed of surrounding traffic. Get off your damn phone. Merge on to the highway at highway speed, not 20+ KPH under. Learn proper round-about and 4 way stop procedures. Don't try to be 'nice' by waiving someone through an intersection even though YOU have the right of way... etc, etc.

I see numerous instances of this nonsense EVERY day.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

How about everyone stop being inconsiderate douche nozzles?

Tailgater shouldn't be tailgating. Left lane idiot should move the hell over and be traveling with the speed of surrounding traffic. Get off your damn phone. Merge on to the highway at highway speed, not 20+ KPH under. Learn proper round-about and 4 way stop procedures. Don't try to be 'nice' by waiving someone through an intersection even though YOU have the right of way... etc, etc.

I see numerous instances of this nonsense EVERY day.

This thread has gone far too far without blaming cyclists for all the problems on the streets, come on forum--step up your game!

Just now, inane said:

This thread has gone far too far without blaming cyclists for all the problems on the streets, come on forum--step up your game!

Only problem I have with cyclists is the ones who don't follow the rules of the road either.

20 hours ago, inane said:

Lol people think I just drop my car out of the air and magically now on their bumper or something..... Spoiler alert I wouldn't have to be a douche if the other douche wasn't being a douche in the first place

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You missed the point of my sentence.

Tailgating is stupid because you are putting yourself at risk for an accident. I think most people understand that the left lane is for faster cars, but for those who don't remember/don't realize, you could either flash your lights or honk at him/her. Tailgating is really not a good solution.

Dude I've been driving for 18 years I've done the honking I've done the headlights it doesn't work maybe 1 out of 10. I'm well aware of tailgating and it being illegal, but so is driving in the left lane when not passing anyone on the highway, which you continue to ignore. Lots of accidents are created because of this kind of stupid driving and forcing vehicles to pass on the right hand lane which is also illegal, it's not like I was in the right hand lane and then moved over to the left lane to tailgate the person right away, I give them tons of time to move over as I'm approaching them and that just means their 1 either an idiot, 2 not looking in their mirrors like they should be, or 3 they think they own the road and can do whatever they want. Someone needs to scare them over and that's me, your welcome!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol people think I just drop my car out of the air and magically now on their bumper or something..... Spoiler alert I wouldn't have to be a douche if the other douche wasn't being a douche in the first place

Well you know the old saying 'an eye for an eye makes everyone see better'.

• Upvote 1