The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

yah, because Most Albertans are climate change deniers and polluters......  whats your point again ?

That we don't hurt you guys.

Maybe you should ask your unions and governments in BC to stop investing in Alberta oil industry, makes you guys look hypocritical. 

• Upvote 1

Man, the "they're out to screw Alberta" conspiracies are strong.  Yet, Albertan MPs were front and center for close to a decade of majority Conservative governance.  Were front and center for setting the rules for equalization the last time major changes were done.  But Alberta's problems are because X Y and Z are out to get them and not at all due to incompetent Albertans in provincial and federal governments. 

Nope, it's all an AntiAlbertan conspiracy.  Proof is two bills (debunked) and billions paid (see above)

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Man, the "they're out to screw Alberta" conspiracies are strong.  Yet, Albertan MPs were front and center for close to a decade of majority Conservative governance.  Were front and center for setting the rules for equalization the last time major changes were done.  But Alberta's problems are because X Y and Z are out to get them and not at all due to incompetent Albertans in provincial and federal governments. 

Nope, it's all an AntiAlbertan conspiracy.  Proof is two bills (debunked) and billions paid (see above)

Well x y and z would all be solved with the pipeline.....:bigblush:

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That we don't hurt you guys.

Maybe you should ask your unions and governments in BC to stop investing in Alberta oil industry, makes you guys look hypocritical. 

You don't think climate change is hurting the entire globe ? 

Of course i would love to see all governments and unions pull all investments out of Alberta dirty bitumen industry...

I think that day is coming though... Hopefully soon. 

B.C.'s largest university is not going down the same road as the University of California and Concordia University when it comes to dumping shares in companies that are contributing to the warming of the planet.

On Friday (November 22), the University of British Columbia board of governors endowment responsible investment policy committee opted to divest UBC's land revenue from fossil-fuel companies, according to the climate group UBCc350.

But the policy committee did not vote for divestment from fossil fuels for UBC's entire investment portfolio.

This came despite calls from the climate group UBCc350 and a letter signed by 1,600 UBC community members.

Ivy League universities Harvard and Yale have also not pledged full divestment, which resulted in a protest at today's football game.

The Harvard-Yale football game is in a delay as students ran onto the field to protest climate change

(via @ESPNCFB)

Embedded video

Meanwhile, Cambridge, Oxford, and Stanford have divested from coal and tarsands projects.

UBCc350's written presentation includes quotes from various sources pointing out how poorly fossil-fuel stocks have performed, including a 2018 study by Arjan Trinks, Bert Scholtens, Machiel Mulder, and Lammertjan Dam, published in Ecological Economics.

"We compare financial performance of investment portfolios with and without fossil fuel company stocks over the period 1927–2016," they wrote in the abstract. "Contrary to theoretical expectations, we find that fossil fuel divestment does not seem to impair portfolio performance. These findings can be explained by the fact that, so far, fossil fuel company stocks do not outperform other stocks on a risk-adjusted basis and provide relatively limited diversification benefits."

Another paper cited was written by Chelsie Hunt and Olaf Weber from the University of Waterloo. It pointed out that even in markets with a high fossil-fuel ratio of investment, such as Canada, "divestment can be conducted successfully."

https://www.straight.com/news/1328841/ubc-board-governors-committee-opts-partial-and-not-full-divestment-fossil-fuel

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

And why isn't the pipeline that's been approved done yet? JT bought the pipeline how long ago? 

I think the  hundreds of people that will be  chained up in front of the excavators that will be used in Burnaby.... may slow things down a bit....

The world is changing.  Our climate has been negatively affected...  The oil is industry is in its dying days....   Thankfully. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I asked for your proof they did nothing. 

Btw when I say Ottawa I'm blaming both parties. Man you will really reach to defend your idol.

Now I'll ask again, how is anything Alberta's fault? You and your buddy hip say this so back it up for once.

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Who got that past all the hurdles so construction could start  again?  Was his first name Justin?

Ya he bought it because private investors walked away. Also it won't even be a million barrels a day. Energy East made the most sense and JT destroyed that.

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The reviews and court challenges are what has held it up.  Similar reasons why the pipelines failed to get done during Harper's reign

Which you never shut up about but yet you defend JTs failures.

It's all political with you.

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The reviews and court challenges are what has held it up.  Similar reasons why the pipelines failed to get done during Harper's reign. 

People are waking up to the negatives of irresponsible resource developers....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/teck-resources-says-its-baffled-by-fish-collapse-downstream-of-british-columbia-mines

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think the  hundreds of people that will be  chained up in front of the excavators that will be used in Burnaby.... may slow things down a bit....

The world is changing.  Our climate has been negatively affected...  The oil is industry is in its dying days....   Thankfully. 

I agree fossil fuel is getting aged out and that's why Canada should make as much as it can because we will age it out before we run out. 

Also those pipelines can ship other things not just oil ....

7 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The reviews and court challenges are what has held it up.  Similar reasons why the pipelines failed to get done during Harper's reign. 

Yes but Harper still got a lot threw.....

also this one is more important then all the others in my honest opinion and has had a bigger affect on everyone......

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Yes but Harper still got a lot threw.....

also this one is more important then all the others in my honest opinion and has had a bigger affect on everyone......

This is why talking to people like destroyer is pointless. 

"Pipelines failed to get done."

Just complete made up nonsense. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The proof will be whether Albertans support independence and by all indicators they will. Mass persecution complex or a mass realization that what is happening to them cannot continue? Are they being deceived?

It will become incumbent by Wexit to clearly point out the economic cost of being part of Canada and a realistic assessment of how the new country can move forward. An open discussion which itemizes issues so they can be understood. For example how much does AB leave on the table by allowing the bulk of their dairy production to Quebec. Dairy is significant as it is a critical building block in agri business. One example. Do all of them. 

IMO there is also a cultural distinction that does not get discussed much. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

But I didn't say anything about flying you did.

You are priceless. You tell me that a sovereign Alberta makes my flight to Toronto somehow dependent on the US, then tell me about Alberta airspace and how that makes me dependent boy. Then I point out to you that flights from Alberta to Toronto also pass through American air space, thereby making you just as dependent on the US as BC. Now you claim you weren’t talking about flying, even when that was the entire subject of the exchange. You claim to want to debate but you never concede a point. Ever. Your idea of give and take is you give and everyone else takes. So funny.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You are priceless. You tell me that a sovereign Alberta makes my flight to Toronto somehow dependent on the US, then tell me about Alberta airspace and how that makes me dependent boy. Then I point out to you that flights from Alberta to Toronto also pass through American air space, thereby making you just as dependent on the US as BC. Now you claim you weren’t talking about flying, even when that was the entire subject of the exchange. You claim to want to debate but you never concede a point. Ever. Your idea of give and take is you give and everyone else takes. So funny.

I'm starting to think you lie as much as hippy.

I never said any of that.

I said I never said anything about flying, you did. Lol you're brutal.