The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer stepping down as Conservative Party leader/Which has morphed into the Gun Control thread

Mackcanuck

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

no it’s not. You are so out to lunch on how the legal system works. 

Again Law 101.

Burden of proof - The obligation to produce evidence to prove facts necessary to establish a cause of action or a defence. It normally rests on the person who asserts a particular matter. The burden of proof requirement is designed to ensure that legal decisions are made based on facts rather than by conjecture. 

Liberals are the one making the claim that spending 600 million on a buyback program for the AR Is an effective way to spend tax dollars.  Therefor the burden of proof is on them or anyone else in alignment with that decision to “provide facts and evidence” to support your claim.  So far the only facts posted are ones that shut down that idea. 

Now because you know that there are no facts to support your claim, you are attempting to shift the goal posts by moving the burden of proof on those against.  It’s a very weak attempt, an furthermore your adjusting the criteria to support why owning X is a legal right, which is a pure strawman to the topic at hand. 

If you and the liberals or anyone else wants to support the idea of spending 600 million on removing the AR then provide evidence and facts that explain why. 

law is not politics. you'll go crazy trying to apply that paradigm to political decisions.

11 minutes ago, inane said:

law is not politics. you'll go crazy trying to apply that paradigm to political decisions.

its laughable is what it is. The CPC and its supporters loved the supremacy of federal jurisdiction over firearms when they wanted to cancel the long gun registry. But when it comes to how they don't want it used, suddenly we have US-style gun rights. Its quite funny to watch the squirming over it. Instead of accepting reality you see the fight mentality out of Alberta in particular that gets them nowhere. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its laughable is what it is. The CPC and its supporters loved the supremacy of federal jurisdiction over firearms when they wanted to cancel the long gun registry. But when it comes to how they don't want it used, suddenly we have US-style gun rights. Its quite funny to watch the squirming over it. Instead of accepting reality you see the fight mentality out of Alberta in particular that gets them nowhere. 

It's fear.  Pure and simple.

I'm a registered owner.  I own 3 nice guns now.  Locked.  Secured.  In my safe.  I'm not worried at all about these new laws.  The ones whining...look at their endlessly circuitous arguments and what they're actually complaining about.

It's so ludicrous.  You've been asking Strome for the same answer for what, 5 pages?  Still nothing.  except "muslims shouldn't drive vans" or other equally ridiculous statements.

It's a meh law, and it has people scared for no reason other than someone told them they should be scared.  exactly the types who don't need to own weapons.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I'm a registered owner.  I own 3 nice guns now.  Locked.  Secured.  In my safe.  I'm not worried at all about these new laws.  The ones whining...look at their endlessly circuitous arguments and what they're actually complaining about.

It's so ludicrous.  You've been asking Strome for the same answer for what, 5 pages?  Still nothing.  except "muslims shouldn't drive vans" or other equally ridiculous statements.

It's a meh law, and it has people scared for no reason other than someone told them they should be scared.  exactly the types who don't need to own weapons.

it pretty much comes down to some gun owners wanting US style rights, which we don't have. Accept it and move on.

I do think we're missing a good debate on the potential of smart gun technology and how that could be used. E.g., you could make AR15s come with location disabling technology so they couldn't be used within city limits e.g. Seems like a fair solution to me. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Considering I own 10 times as many guns as you and have my rpal I'm pretty sure I'm alright to own guns. His question is stupid you lefties won't be happy till freedom is all gone. Enjoy your dictatorship we are protected in Alberta. Watch and see.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Considering I own 10 times as many guns as you and have my rpal I'm pretty sure I'm alright to own guns. His question is stupid you lefties won't be happy till freedom is all gone. Enjoy your dictatorship we are protected in Alberta. Watch and see.

Lol what happened to you

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

...lets talk about what kind of things are actually available to make gun use safer.

Gun "use" is safe (relatively speaking, by trained individuals). Let's start by confiscating the guns from the criminals, NOT the law abiding gun owners.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lionized27 said:

Gun "use" is safe (relatively speaking, by trained individuals). Let's start by confiscating the guns from the criminals, NOT the law abiding gun owners.

at what point are they not law abiding gun owners? and who's confiscating guns? 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

what if I don't equate my freedom with personal gun ownership of any kind? what if I'm happy with a few restrictors on what I own? 

you've drunk the kool-aid on the AB firewall thing, its not what you think / been told it is. A motion is meaningless and has no power at all. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

at what point are they not law abiding gun owners?

Probably when they break the law.

and who's confiscating guns? 

Trudeau has an OIC to confiscate/buyback certain firearms. Of course, he won't be doing the confiscating personally, our police forces will be. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what if gun companies haven't done everything they could to make guns safer? if someone steals your AR15 its no longer a "law abiding gun owner" problem now is it

Try your best not to deflect.

Get the illegal guns off the streets first.

The AR platform, as menacing as it looks, is no more dangerous than any other semi-automatic rifle on the market.

While I can only speak for myself, my firearms are stored as the law dictates. Of course, if a thief REALLY wants them, he'll also have to go through my dog. Quite possibly the best theft deterrent.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's that pure tribalism and sense of entitlement that leads me to believe people like yourself are not stable enough to own guns

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what if I don't equate my freedom with personal gun ownership of any kind? what if I'm happy with a few restrictors on what I own? 

you've drunk the kool-aid on the AB firewall thing, its not what you think / been told it is. A motion is meaningless and has no power at all. 

You will see. The feds won't be the ones seizing them.

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's that pure tribalism and sense of entitlement that leads me to believe people like yourself are not stable enough to own guns

Lmao you're the most partisan poster on cdc. You have your rpal? btw when did you buy the 2 guns because a month ago you only had a musket. More lies hip? I don't need your approval you're for the government taking guns because your favourite pm wants to.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Try your best not to deflect.

Get the illegal guns off the streets first.

The AR platform, as menacing as it looks, is no more dangerous than any other semi-automatic rifle on the market.

While I can only speak for myself, my firearms are stored as the law dictates. Of course, if a thief REALLY wants them, he'll also have to go through my dog. Quite possibly the best theft deterrent.

why "first"? not sure how its mutually exclusive.