The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer stepping down as Conservative Party leader/Which has morphed into the Gun Control thread

Mackcanuck

This thread is proof that we don't deserve nice things.

I'm not saying there isn't bias in our news, but saying something is fake news because you don't like what is being reported is akin to Trump.

@Boudrias @Ryan Strome

https://globalnews.ca/news/6294905/andrew-scheer-private-school-funds/

The executive director of the Conservative Party has been told he cannot not stay in his role by the board of the Conservative Party Fund, sources tell Global News.

This comes a day after Dustin van Vugt took responsibility for approving the use of party funds to pay for the private schooling of Andrew Scheer’s children.

The Conservative Party is also now bringing in a forensic auditor to review spending arrangements by the Conservative Fund.

After Global News reported that van Vugt had been fired from his post as executive director, sources said that there’s a fight brewing within the party over whether the Fund’s board actually has the authority to fire him. Sources say the Conservative Party constitution is unclear on the matter.

Sources loyal to Scheer and van Vugt say the Fund cannot terminate his employment under the rules set out in the party constitution. They can refuse to pay him, however.

As Global News was the first to report on Thursday, Scheer resigned after news erupted within the party earlier this week that he had been getting reimbursed by donor money to pay for the cost of putting four of his five children in private school.

READ MORE: Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer resigns, vows to stay on until new leader chosen

The fifth is not yet school-age.

Van Vugt said on Thursday in a statement that he had approved the use of party funds to reimburse Scheer for the cost of his children’s private schooling.

He said it was only a reimbursement of the difference between the cost of their schooling in Regina versus Ottawa.

But multiple Conservative sources told Global News that members of the Conservative Fund did not know about the arrangement and were furious to learn of it earlier this week, with many also worried about how the deal would look to voters.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

But of course, Scheer couldn't possibly be bad right?

I suppose if we look back far enough, we can see the bread crumbs leading to this point.

OTTAWA — Conservative leadership candidate Andrew Scheer exaggerated a cute story of sleeping at his parents’ home while working in Ottawa, his office said Monday after The Huffington Post Canada raised questions about potential discrepancies in his expense claims.

In an interview with CPAC in 2010, host Catherine Clark asked Scheer where he lives when he stays in Ottawa.

Andrew Scheer's Office Says He Exaggerated 2010 Story About Staying At Parents'

Andrew Scheer is shown in a screengrab from a 2010 interview with CPAC.

“I sleep in the same bed I slept in when I was in high school and elementary school. I stay with Mum and Dad,” Scheer said, laughing and blushing.

“Sometimes,” he said, his parents wait up for him. “My parents like to, you know, visit with me and I like to visit with them, so sometimes when I am going out in the morning, they’ll say: ‘What time do you think you’ll be back?’ and I’ll say, ‘Maybe seven o’clock or so,’ and then, invariably, I’ll have a supper meeting, or the House will sit late and I end up stuck in my office returning phone calls or things like that. And I come home at nine, and my parents will say ‘I thought you said you’d be home at seven,’” Scheer said, mimicking them and sighing.

“It’s funny. I like it,” he told Clark, who agreed that the scenario sounded lovely.

“It’s great on a lot of levels,” Scheer added. “It saves the taxpayers money, because I’m staying with Mom and Dad, not at hotels…. I’m living off my parents,” he said, laughing.

Watch the full interview:

Except Scheer wasn’t saving the taxpayers money.

During the time period discussed in the interview, Scheer claimed close to the limit MPs are allowed for accommodation and per diem expenses. (The cap in 2010 was $25,850 and is currently $30,000).

In 2009-2010, he claimed $23,231 in MP accommodation and per diems.

In 2010-2011, he expensed $19,310.44 for accommodation, meals and incidental expenses incurred while travel status in Ottawa.

The House of Commons allows MPs who are required to be in Ottawa to expense the cost of rent for a secondary residence, hotel stays, or private accommodation.

'He was just adding colour to the story'

Commons rules, however, forbid MPs to be reimbursed for any rented accommodation for which they or their immediate family will benefit, either directly or indirectly.

When HuffPost approached Scheer’s office about the expense claims, his chief of staff, Kenzie Potter, said Scheer happened to be staying at his parents “a fair bit” around that time but that he was also staying in hotels.

“I think he was just adding colour to the story about having curfew. His parents house was, and still is a bit of a home base for him,” she wrote in an email. “It was more just a cute story he was telling her.”

Scheer, who now has five children with his wife, Jill, talked to Clark about not yet having found the perfect balance among his time in Ottawa, in his Saskatchewan riding, and being present in his young children’s lives.

He appeared relaxed and his usual good-natured and positive self while recounting other stories, such as getting bitten by the political bug at age nine while delivering the local newspaper.

Served as House speaker

In 2011, after the Conservatives won a majority government, Scheer was elected speaker of the House of Commons. The position comes with beautiful farm house in the Gatineau Hills, a short drive from Parliament Hill.

His accommodation expenses dropped off significantly after that to $13,231.49 in 2011-2012. When the reports were updated in 2012-2013 to break down travel expenses and secondary residence expenses, Scheer reported no secondary housing costs but still claimed $11,067.58 in MP accommodation and per diem costs.

Potter did not respond to a request to describe what those costs were for.

Scheer asked about issue after debate

Tuesday evening, at the Conservative leadership debate in Moncton, Scheer was asked about his large expenses while staying at his parents’ home. Scheer said that with a large family, he often used hotels but stayed with his parents the odd time. He said his receipts had all been submitted properly.

“I still from time to time drop in,” Scheer said, of staying with his parents. “Probably not as much as they like, they always like to see me more often.”

This story has been updated with comment from Scheer.

Like Us On Facebook

Guy is a fraud, along with most politicians who cash out taxpayer's money.

Also on HuffPost

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This thread is proof that we don't deserve nice things.

I'm not saying there isn't bias in our news, but saying something is fake news because you don't like what is being reported is akin to Trump.

@Boudrias @Ryan Strome

https://globalnews.ca/news/6294905/andrew-scheer-private-school-funds/

The executive director of the Conservative Party has been told he cannot not stay in his role by the board of the Conservative Party Fund, sources tell Global News.

This comes a day after Dustin van Vugt took responsibility for approving the use of party funds to pay for the private schooling of Andrew Scheer’s children.

The Conservative Party is also now bringing in a forensic auditor to review spending arrangements by the Conservative Fund.

After Global News reported that van Vugt had been fired from his post as executive director, sources said that there’s a fight brewing within the party over whether the Fund’s board actually has the authority to fire him. Sources say the Conservative Party constitution is unclear on the matter.

Sources loyal to Scheer and van Vugt say the Fund cannot terminate his employment under the rules set out in the party constitution. They can refuse to pay him, however.

As Global News was the first to report on Thursday, Scheer resigned after news erupted within the party earlier this week that he had been getting reimbursed by donor money to pay for the cost of putting four of his five children in private school.

READ MORE: Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer resigns, vows to stay on until new leader chosen

The fifth is not yet school-age.

Van Vugt said on Thursday in a statement that he had approved the use of party funds to reimburse Scheer for the cost of his children’s private schooling.

He said it was only a reimbursement of the difference between the cost of their schooling in Regina versus Ottawa.

But multiple Conservative sources told Global News that members of the Conservative Fund did not know about the arrangement and were furious to learn of it earlier this week, with many also worried about how the deal would look to voters.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

But of course, Scheer couldn't possibly be bad right?

I have no clue why I was tagged. But ok..

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, goalie13 said:

That article says nothing about which party she belongs to.  I know that many of her policies while she was your favourite BC Premier were more along conservative lines, but she was a member of the Federal Liberal party long before that and I believe she continues to be.

Sorry but you are wrong...  CC was approached to fun for  Con Leader and she almost went for it....

Former British Columbia premier Christy Clark has decided not to run for the Conservative leadership after seriously weighing up a bid.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/bad-timing-and-rusty-french-skills-why-christy-clark-decided-not-to-enter-the-race-for-conservative-leader/wcm/f73f68a8-a451-4617-9a28-7122942ea22a

44 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sorry but you are wrong...  CC was approached to fun for  Con Leader and she almost went for it....

Former British Columbia premier Christy Clark has decided not to run for the Conservative leadership after seriously weighing up a bid.

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/bad-timing-and-rusty-french-skills-why-christy-clark-decided-not-to-enter-the-race-for-conservative-leader/wcm/f73f68a8-a451-4617-9a28-7122942ea22a

What was I wrong about?

I said she was a member of the Federal Liberal party, which is (or at least was) true.

I said it was unlikely she would run for the leadership of the Federal Conservative Party, which it turns out, is also true.