The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer stepping down as Conservative Party leader/Which has morphed into the Gun Control thread

Mackcanuck

Great read.....

So, who is buying all these guns—and why?

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/

These are men who are anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market, and beset by racial fears.. In fact, stockpiling guns seems to be a symptom of a much deeper crisis in meaning and purpose in their lives.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lets stick to Canada. I've seen calls for action from you and other CPC supporters for action over terrorism in Canada, which is a tiny fraction of incidents compared to gun deaths. Just making a point about scale and reason to take action or not. 

This isn't fair...you want to use US stats to outlaw guns in Canada.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think quite a few weapons would be good buy-back candidates, or candidates for the rules I posted above.....but you have to start somewhere.....

Again with the "American" thing....:rolleyes: Maybe I can make myself clearer, I think the average Canadian citizen has no business owning anything but a hunting rifle, or a limited capacity handgun.

Ok well we agree to disagree. We can debate it if you like but we are complete opposites at this point.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

This isn't fair...you want to use US stats to outlaw guns in Canada.

fair point. Its more of a cultural thing, we see a lot of acceptance of far right wing ideas up here now, guns seem to be part of that package. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great read.....

So, who is buying all these guns—and why?

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/why-are-white-men-stockpiling-guns/

These are men who are anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market, and beset by racial fears.. In fact, stockpiling guns seems to be a symptom of a much deeper crisis in meaning and purpose in their lives.

More American news. :picard:

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

fair point. Its more of a cultural thing, we see a lot of acceptance of far right wing ideas up here now, guns seem to be part of that package. 

Reform was far right as was wildrose never seen them promoting killing people but rather protecting responsible gun owners. Ftr I don't support guns for everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

down 4% according to the article. How is that a reason not to try to get it down further? 

it was interesting that 85% were handgun deaths. 

Illegal guns make up the vast majority. Gang members use handguns. Use the billion dollars to stop gang violence. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

Reform was far right as was wildrose never seen them promoting killing people but rather protecting responsible gun owners. Ftr I don't support guns for everyone. 

one thing your article did make clear is handguns are the biggest issue. Where do you stand on those? 

I want us to start discussing actual middle ground at some point here in this thread. Are there any "smart gun" protection ideas that you would be OK with, as a responsible gun owner? 

yeah but you have to admit, we see a lot of US right wing ideas gaining popularity up here these days. Its worry some to the RCMP - its actually one of our biggest terror watch list issues: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/pblctns/pblc-rprt-trrrsm-thrt-cnd-2018/index-en.aspx

listen my biggest issue is the comparison to the US that country is a complete disaster and is a society built on hate and Perpetual War Canadians are far smarter and far more responsible in my opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Illegal guns make up the vast majority. Gang members use handguns. Use the billion dollars to stop gang violence. Problem solved.

Thats too simplistic. It doesn't cover stolen guns from responsible gun owners, or things like straw buyers.  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

one thing your article did make clear is handguns are the biggest issue. Where do you stand on those? 

I want us to start discussing actual middle ground at some point here in this thread. Are there any "smart gun" protection ideas that you would be OK with, as a responsible gun owner? 

If it was an either-or I would say Outlaw handguns or go with Rupert's idea that they must stay at the range.

• Cheers 2

Thats too simplistic. It doesn't cover stolen guns from responsible gun owners, or things like straw buyers.  

That's why the long gun registry was a joke. If the system ever got hacked God people knew where to go. Guns coming from the United States are the biggest issue. Which are gang activity. 

If it was an either-or I would say Outlaw handguns or go with Rupert's idea that they must stay at the range.

I like the range idea, a lot. Good luck trying to rob those guys :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of legislating things like fingerprint locks or location-based access built into the guns. 

• Cheers 1

I like the range idea, a lot. Good luck trying to rob those guys :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of legislating things like fingerprint locks or location-based access built into the guns. 

I could live with that on handguns I didn't even know that technology was available.

Edited by Ryan Strome

I think some sort of hybrid approach would be best.

Most people don't need a weapon, but people living in certain high crime areas might feel the need for a hand gun for protection. (I think there are better ways to protect oneself, but that's another discussion)

As you mentioned before, some rural citizens needs weapons to protect against wild animals. Some people are hunters....

I believe that just as one needs to prove they are properly trained in the use of weapons, they should be required to demonstrate a need to keep one in their possession at their home. There is no need for assault style weapons, so they should be allowed only at licensed shooting ranges. Any other type of weapon could be deemed acceptable to possess off range, if a legitimate reason is demonstrated.

I could live with that on handguns I didn't even know that technology was available.

yeah apparently it is, was doing a little digging, sounds like there are some interesting options for things like built-in location locks. So e.g., if you bring a rifle into city limits (outside of a range) the pin locks. Adds a fair whack of cost, but if the gov't is spending anyway why would you care? 

But I do agree, if all Trudeau does is ban AR15s (and not similar models) and not do anything on handguns then thats a waste. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nope I don't agree.

Why is a sks alright? It's essentially a ak47 and can be fully automatic in a minute. I think it's because you guys haven't seen it on American news stations.

Let me just say I'm not going to argue with a guy with lots of guns.

Whatever you say is fine by me Ryan Strome.

:P

• Haha 2