The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Michael DiPietro

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, mll said:

Patrick Johnston in the Province:

Demko didn’t initially feel symptoms, the coach said. He only felt them in the evening.

Loui Eriksson collided with Demko while taking the puck to the net in practice and Demko also took a shot off the mask at one point as well.

Green said it wasn’t definitive which incident might have caused the head injury.

While it's hard to fully pin it on Eriksson, things just don't seem to be able to go right for him.  I didn't think Eriksson could make himself even more disliked in the Canucks fan base with all the healthy scratches but clearly I was wrong.  Sigh.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

then don't watch or spend your hard earned dollars on it.  These are grown men playing in an era where they know the risks more than ever before........no one is forcing them to play and if they bow to peer pressure as professional athletes they probably don't have the emotional fortitude to handle it anyway.

hmm , you should wander over to the Akim Aliu thread

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

because people in cars are not being paid millions of dollars to play a game.  Because when an insurance claim is made, it's taxpayer money that is used to pay it.

that's such a ridiculous, arbitrary distinction to make. also, how do you figure taxpayer money is paying for insurance claims? that's what the, uh, insurance premiums that get paid are for. 

edit: maybe in bc the corrupt ICBC gets subsidized in some way but the rest of the world doesn't work that way. 

should people be allowed to fight to the death in coliseums to amuse the rabble?

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

Demko only seems to get concussions in practice.  That is weird.  Also getting run over by Loui Eriksson in practice, a guy that had 3 hits all last year, is just the icing on the cake.

It almost seems Loui is determined to destroy this team because he gets benched every game.  Time to send him down to Utica now before he runs into Petey in practice and knocks him out for the year...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yung1 said:

With multiple concussion victims having committed suicide and stories of others dealing with severe mental complications due to their concussion history, I think being over-cautious is a good approach. I think it's selfish of you to put your fandom above their well-being.

They know the risks, it's their choice to take it if they want to make tens of millions of dollars in a decade, or so, of their lives.

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko only seems to get concussions in practice.  That is weird.  Also getting run over by Loui Eriksson in practice, a guy that had 3 hits all last year, is just the icing on the cake.

It almost seems Loui is determined to destroy this team because he gets benched every game.  Time to send him down to Utica now before he runs into Petey in practice and knocks him out for the year...

How do you know it wasn't the direct shot to the mask he also got in the practice?  That seems more likely to me.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

This concussion thing is getting out of hand, imo.  These guys know the risks, let them decide if they want to sit out and have all players sign a waiver form with every contract.

This wins dumbest post of the the day. And that's impressive on here... 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why?  Because I think grown men should be able to assess the risk and make up their own minds?  

No, because of advancements and knowledge in CTE and player suicides, including Rick Rypien. It's a tone deaf and poor take considering what we know about head trauma. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, because of advancements and knowledge in CTE and player suicides, including Rick Rypien. It's a tone deaf and poor take considering what we know about head trauma. 

And you don't think adults are capable of deciding, in their own, if they want to take that risk?

I'm not saying there arent examples of the extreme end of the consequence spectrum, but I'd bet theres a lot more, like me, who are into high numbers of concussions with few or no after effects and consequences.  I'm well into double digits and don't have any post concussion symptoms as I head into my 50's

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, stawns said:

And you don't think adults are capable of deciding, in their own, if they want to take that risk?

I'm not saying there arent examples of the extreme end of the consequence spectrum, but I'd bet theres a lot more, like me, who are into high numbers of concussions with few or no after effects and consequences.  I'm well into double digits and don't have any post concussion symptoms as I head into my 50's

Sounds like it's Demko that alerted them that he is feeling concussion symptoms - he experienced them in the evening.  Players are far more aware of the long lasting effects and it's good they are not putting their future well-being at risk.  

After his last concussion Demko talked of how there were days where he felt he would never recover.  He mentioned that there are players that are retiring because of head injuries and wanted to make sure that he is 100% before coming back.  

Tim Thomas today just gave an interview on his brain damage.  He got concussed his last season and continued playing but it had lasting effects.  Even today his brain is still not functioning properly.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

While it's hard to fully pin it on Eriksson, things just don't seem to be able to go right for him.  I didn't think Eriksson could make himself even more disliked in the Canucks fan base with all the healthy scratches but clearly I was wrong.  Sigh.

LE - karma perhaps is trying to tell you something about somehow earning that contract.....   As for, Demko unless he has a history of concussion, he should recover cause he is still young enough but he should be mindful of any head future head injury....  Hope for a quick recovery and for LE to do the right thing (very unlikely).  Hypothetically, if LE were the one to suffer a concussion, can he go on the LTIR ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski