The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 07, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

his family situation with his Dad is likely a factor

As diifficult as it may have been for Brock, these guys are professionals. Look at Markstrom after losing his Dad, he played lights out. I don't think Brock has played badly at all, I see he's trying to play more gritty and physical this year. But I do miss seeing those heavy Boeser slap shots go in for goals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Still, those pests Benning signed should have the wherewithal and guts to take on the Lightning. I mean, this isn't the 2011 Bruins here.

A player like Johnson shouldn't be able to get away with anything.

The team needs a pack mentality.

Agree but those teams with that pack mentally have a guy that can fight or a guy like chara that no one wants to take on or a dirt bag like domi.(Burke's words not mine ha) 

for that pack mentally to come here we need  a new juice. Juice was a big reason why burr got away with some of the stuff he did. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

Boeser and Petey work pretty well 5 on 5. I’d probably split them up on the PP and give Boeser more chances to rip those one-timers. Boeser on PP2, Virtanen on PP1. 

Hope Benn doesn’t slot in for Fantenberg, because Oscar has been better than Edler, Myers and Stecher recently imo.

Completely agree, Oscar has been playing well. he payed much better than Eddy and Myers in last nights game. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Somehow I don't see the Canucks going after Matheson. They seem, much like with most aspects of their play, woefully inconsistent when in comes to being a physical team that stands up for each other. The team needs it's more physically imposing players (Myers, Edler, Benn, Roussel, Virtanen) to play with an edge and not back down should a Panther take exception. Horvat needs to start showing more gumption in scrums as well.

I agree with most of this. Myers has done it once in awhile when he gets mad. He could mess up a light heavyweight if he wan't too. Benn will be back in for Fantenberg next game. Virtanen had that big hit on Palat at the end of the last game. It was clean but the way the guy threw his head back made it look like a head shot, forcing the refs to call a penalty. They really miss Ferland too. I don't think the Canucks need to go after Matheson like last year unless he plays even a little physical on Petey, Hughes or any of their young players. That was a weasel move by a Matheson, doing that to a 19 year old rookie that did nothing but deke out and make him look like a amateur. The Canucks challenged him and he declined, just play him hard every shift to show him you haven't forgot the intentional attempt to injure our best player. If he does anything, don't challenge him, just grab him and start hammering. The refs know the situation and if he try's something like that, they'll give you a free shot like they did with Martel. 

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Somehow I don't see the Canucks going after Matheson.

The Canucks will never go after anybody. They'll play Matheson as if that hit on Petey never happened. It's the mentality of the team. The whole "playing the right way" thing the Sedins kept on about. Teams that win Cups do what it takes to win though, whether it's playing extra physical or even a little dirty, and having a coach with some swagger who believes in all of his players and expects them to do what it takes. Nice guys finish last in this league. Maybe one day they'll figure that out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Yep, some kind of fresh ideas are going to be needed to take this team to the next level.

There was this cycle last night, most everyone here that watched the game will remember it by my description.

The Lightning passed it around the perimeter for like a minute against the 3rd line. They got a few chances, and got the puck back several times. It was kind of harsh to watch, because you could see our guys playing the system, not chasing the puck, just going in circles defending the middle of the ice. And Tampa was toying with it. Anyways, Jake was on the far wall, and after like I said, a minute, he broke formation, and he crushed a guy. And the Canucks got the puck back in about 0.4s after the hit. My point, is that the Canucks could have taken the man any of 10 times in that entire possession sequence, but they didn't and they just played the 5 man star to get in the way of passes and shots. Its freaking lame to watch as a fan of the game, I am sorry to say. Its not hockey, its a blanket of analytics that creates an artificial gap between the game on the ice and the numbers they want to force out on their screens.

The coaches and the analytics team behind the scenes have completely bitten onto this idea of playing the collapse because of the numbers, over the whole season.

It's sustainable, over the course of a season, and it might even get the team into the playoffs.

But what happens when they meet a TBL in the playoffs? Win 4 games by playing 45mins in your own end every game and getting out shot 2:1?

This system will be absolutely dismantled by any team with perimeter speed and passing, as we saw last night, should they make it to the playoffs.

The kind of analytics I want to see, is slow motion replays of guys as Jake thunders down on them and steals not only their pucks, but their hockey karma.

Its a long season to always play hard, but this collapse system is ridiculously lame.

Watch for when good stick handlers break into the Canuck's zone. In the time that they set up formation to defend, the other team's are setting up these insanely OP tick tack toe passing plays, because getting into the star formation comes at the cost of basically handing the other team a temporary but forward moving odd man play. Over and over it's happening, and it's good thing Marky had that .940 stretch.  Now that more shots are going in, game's are getting out of hand, and the system that allows all those shots gets badly exposed.

Take the man once in a while, mix it up!

I agree with everything you've said and that's why maybe bring a coaching system like the flyers or blue jackets have wouldn't hurt and it would cut down on the work for green. 

Also so I don't think green coaches a mean style, like you saw last night he coaches puck first/safe plays , guys like Jake also don't have the freedom to make big hits cause if he messes up his on the bench. 

Hitters like Jake even Tom Wilson need freedom to make those hits. 

Thats why it's very rare to see a 200ft power forward. 

Side note. Look at the Hawks when they won their cups , why you think the Hawks ended most seasons as a lower seed or wild card spot come playoffs? 

They played playoff hockey all season and some nights guys didn't show up but no one freaked cause next game they would or depth helped a lot. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks will never go after anybody. They'll play Matheson as if that hit on Petey never happened. It's the mentality of the team. The whole "playing the right way" thing the Sedins kept on about. Teams that win Cups do what it takes to win though, whether it's playing extra physical or even a little dirty, and having a coach with some swagger who believes in all of his players and expects them to do what it takes. Nice guys finish last in this league. Maybe one day they'll figure that out.

Sssshhhhhh don't insult the Sedins ! 

They don't like that around here...... :bigblush:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd put money on it that Matheson gets some rhubarb from Roussell, Horvat, Beagle, Virtanen, etc. Like last year, they challenged him and he backed right down. What do you want them to do, take a major penalty and lose the game? Maybe a suspension? They made Matheson lose respect from the league. Last time a Canuck just grabbed a guy and lite him up was Tom Sestito on Jordan Nolan after a series of cheap shots from the Kings on the Sedins. He was given a 5 minute major and game misconduct and no penalty's against the Kings. Also  a suspension i think? Anyways his NHL career went downhill after that too. I thought he was a decent player on the fourth line.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Agree but those teams with that pack mentally have a guy that can fight or a guy like chara that no one wants to take on or a dirt bag like domi.(Burke's words not mine ha) 

for that pack mentally to come here we need  a new juice. Juice was a big reason why burr got away with some of the stuff he did. 

Tampa seemed pretty comfortable mixing it up with Vancouver. Is Pat Maroon that much of a deterrent?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tampa seemed pretty comfortable mixing it up with Vancouver. Is Pat Maroon that much of a deterrent?

Ha I would think not but on our roster who's in his weight class? Rooster? He just came back from injury. 

Ferland didn't play but ferland has never been the top tough guy on a team until hurricanes and here and he wasn't all that with the hurricanes and that's even in the east....

jake I see him as a burrows type. 

So yea last night you could say he was ha man that's sad. 

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha I would think not but on our roster who's in his weight class? Rooster? He just came back from injury. 

Ferland didn't play but ferland has never been the top tough guy on a team until hurricanes and here and he wasn't all that with the hurricanes and that's even in the east....

jake I see him as a burrows type. 

So yea last night you could say he was ha man that's sad. 

The Canucks used to have a guy who made other players (Wilson, Martin, Getzlaf) honest, but he couldn't maintain consistency. I wonder if he'd work better now as a 3rd pairing defenseman?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really like Virtanen and Horvat, two of the Canucks core players, but I have concerns about their compete level. Not just skating hard or going hard to the net or battling along the boards, etc. I'm talking about couragously going to war for their team. Situations presented themselves where Jake and Bo had opportunities to clobber an opponent, or get into a tussle in the heat of the moment. But they both cowered and avoided those situations. Is anyone else concerned about this? Bo is the captain and should be leading by example, Okay sure, they don't want to take a penalty, but it's okay for Edler to take a few lazy ones? Sometimes taking a panelty is necessary, when push comes to shove, the Canucks can't continue to turn the other cheek. They're in for a rude wakening if they do make the playoffs.

I'm not to worried about Jake and that's one of the reasons it scares me to think of trading Jake cause he enjoys hit but we lacks a juice to back him up like burr. 

This team needs a Kesler ( I want Dylan halloway cause he reminds of kesler) 

we need a domi to off set Bo's nice side. I

Our team needs a dirt bag lol 

That starts from coaching green wants a hard working smart team not a hard noise team...

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks used to have a guy who made other players (Wilson, Martin, Getzlaf) honest, but he couldn't maintain consistency. I wonder if he'd work better now as a 3rd pairing defenseman?

He was right handed too wasn't he? 

Honestly if juice was looking to play again I would call him ha 

his interview with Tim and sid was awesome lol

We need more toughness. I wish we could end the Eriksson experiment and put a bruiser

Iike Big Mac in there. Tampa has huge defenseman. Big Mac could help us create more room for our skill guys. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

We need more toughness. I wish we could end the Eriksson experiment and put a bruise lo

Iike Big Mac in there. Tampa has huge defenseman. Big Mac could help us create more room for our skill guys. 

Honestly if I could get the Canadians GM stoned I would trade Loui for Shea weber cause weber plays a style that would fit perfectly with Hughes and weber will be end up on ltir before his contract is over....

all honestly I think Jim goes after Reeves this summer or Josh Anderson. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

He was right handed too wasn't he? 

Honestly if juice was looking to play again I would call him ha 

his interview with Tim and sid was awesome lol

Talking about Erik Gudbranson. Martin or Wilson would have definitely hurt Bieksa.

• Upvote 1