The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yup and people are being laid off. Parts of BC just love hurting people and hurting economies. Oil, LNG, etc .

CN Rail lays off staff as pipeline protests limit deliveries to Maritimes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rail-shutdown-propane-supply-runs-low-maritimes-1.5465865

Yea I really wonder how my work is doing, hoping theres no layoffs for us as I haven't been there for a couple months *cross fingers* 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wows that terrible news...

Have your read about this....

In 2018 the World Bank said climate change would force more than 140 million people to leave their homes in South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51179931

Ok and this has what to do with medicines being stuck on ships that are expected to go to pharmacys/hospitals to help those whos lives may depend on them.....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yup and people are being laid off. Parts of BC just love hurting people and hurting economies. Oil, LNG, etc .

CN Rail lays off staff as pipeline protests limit deliveries to Maritimes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/rail-shutdown-propane-supply-runs-low-maritimes-1.5465865

and parts of Alberta just love hurting our earths climate......

In 2018 the World Bank said climate change would force more than 140 million people to leave their homes in South Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

FB_IMG_1581987943463.jpg

• Upvote 1

ies/2020/2020-02-14coastal-gaslink-statement--pipeline-route-selection

Statement from coastal gas link lays out everything and also adds this little tidbit about rerouting it

In the August 21, 2014 letter, Coastal GasLink did offer an alternate route called the Morice River North Alternate (MRNA), approximately 55 kilometres in length, that would have moved the pipeline 3 to 5 kilometres away from the Morice River (Unist’ot’en) healing centre. Coastal GasLink also offered to arrange for an overflight for the Hereditary Chiefs to view the alternate routing.

No response to our offer of overflight was ever received, nor did we receive a response to our August 21, 2014 letter.

• Cheers 2

On 2/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, UnkNuk said:

An excellent question and one I would like to know, too.  I'd also be very interested to know how the individual members of the Wet'suwet'en First Nation come down on the question of the pipeline.

A major part of this issue comes down to:  Who speaks for the Wet'suwet'en?  And that's a problem that will have to be solved by the Wet'suwet'en themselves.

If it turns out that the hereditary chiefs have the legal right and popular support of the members themselves to speak for the group, then it's mind-boggling to me that they weren't included in the the years long negotiations that took place over the pipeline.

On the other hand, if the hereditary chiefs have no such legal right or support then what we have here may be  a small group of people trying to impose their views on the larger group.

Here's some details somebody posted.

1 hour ago, CarolK said:

Here's some details somebody posted.

Hmmmm.....just what is this plebiscite that he is talking about?  In my crash-course surfing on this matter I've yet to read about any plebiscite that was taken among the Wet'suwet'en.  And, surely, if such a plebiscite had been taken and 80% of the Wet'suwet'en Nation had approved the project we would have heard about it by now, wouldn't we?

I can't see this ending well...

Protesters in the group Extinction Rebellion Vancouver Island are planning a citizen’s arrest of Premier John Horgan at his home in Langford on Tuesday morning.

In a phone call with Victoria Buzz, organizer Howard Breen said the group would be conducting a lockdown outside his driveway before attempting to execute a citizen’s arrest of the Premier in an attempt to disrupt the B.C. government budget speech this afternoon.

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2020/02/victoria-branch-of-extinction-rebellion-plans-citizens-arrest-of-premier-horgan-this-morning/?fbclid=IwAR2NdL0UXB1i_tkRSv3kwnHhz9tJ-NREtVQP57OrpeWJoCSvtKHf1zIsPEk

And then there's the competing logging rally and pipeline protests at the legislature today all while the budget is being delivered.  Today is going to be an interesting day.

• Huggy Bear 1

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

It looks like this is an all BC project. The bands that voted against are shown in red.

Edited by CarolK
  • Upvote 1

Activists attempt to arrest B.C. Premier ahead of budget release

BY KATHRYN TINDALE

Posted Feb 18, 2020 8:55 am PST

breaking-news.jpg

It appears activists have tried to arrest Premier John Horgan ahead of today’s provincial budget.

The premier wasn’t at home when the protest showed up less than an hour ago but he came home shortly after and was verbally blasted by the demonstrators.

That’s when the RCMP moved in to get the protestors out, and to allow the premier to get to the legislature.

More to come.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/02/18/premier-arrest-attempt/

Edited by prix57
  • Haha 1

Mr. Horgan lost his temper!   A taste of his own medicine.  When people blocked intersections in Vancouver and inconvenienced so many people he was not too upset.

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada/canada-latest-blockade-end-of-b-c-premier-john-horgan-driveway/wcm/9d192ebe-e950-43a2-b7a0-844af4aa554c

More than a dozen anti-pipeline protesters blocked the driveway of B.C. Premier’s John Horgan’s Victoria-area home Tuesday morning, to attempt a “citizen’s arrest” on Horgan and prevent him from attending today’s provincial budget announcement at the legislature.

However, the premier had already left home before the protesters had arrived. Instead, two of the activists were arrested by police, who found them lying on the premier’s driveway when they arrived on the scene at 8 a.m. PST.

The protest was carried out by Extinction Rebellion Vancouver Island as a show of support for the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, who have long opposed the construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline across northern B.C., which would run through Wet’suwet’en territory.

RCMP cordoned off the area in front of the premier’s home, forcing media to the end of the street. By 8:20 a.m. PST, they began to arrest protesters who were still blocking the driveway.

Yet Heidi Eisenhuth, one of the protesters, says the demonstration got the reaction it wanted. The premier, out of concern for his wife, had returned to his home half an hour after the police. When he did so, he reportedly lost his temper with the protesters. “He was very angry and he swore at us,” said Eisenhuth, with a chuckle. “That’s what we’re looking for — him, to understand how it feels.”

Horgan, along with his security detail, left his residence again, minutes after the activists were arrested.

Edited by DonLever
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Mr. Horgan lost his temper!   A taste of his own medicine.  When people blocked intersections in Vancouver and inconvenienced so many people he was not too upset.

Horgan and the NDP are hypocrites.  No way they can get re-elected....

19 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I guess we're going to have to send these people money to build recycling plants and what not, cause you know they'd rather give their money to FIFA and other corrupt BS.

Edited by canuckster19

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

While I'm not particularly a fan of Horgan, I don't believe in protesting at the homes of public figures.

But that's just me, I guess....

You may be right... but Horgans next plan is to send home ICBC rebate chques to all BC drivers right before they head to the next BC election and cast votes..

Last time BC teacher had job action...  teachers not paid on strike.  BC LIB gov sent home cheques to all BC parents.....  

Politics has gotten very dirty in BC.  Horgan is a hypocrite... no better than CC.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You may be right... but Horgans next plan is to send home ICBC rebate chques to all BC drivers right before they head to the next BC election and cast votes..

Last time BC teacher had job action...  teachers not paid on strike.  BC LIB gov sent home cheques to all BC parents.....  

Politics has gotten very dirty in BC.

TBH, I think people overstate the effect that an elected leader has on their lives.

My life hasn't appreciably changed for the better or worse under Horgan. Nor did it do so under Christy Clark. (At least, not because of anything they did)

The same holds true for Trudeau and Harper. Personally, I think people just aren't happy without their whipping boys.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I think people overstate the effect that an elected leader has on their lives.

My life hasn't appreciably changed for the better or worse under Horgan. Nor did it do so under Christy Clark. (At least, not because of anything they did)

Lucky for you. Many of us in BC have family members definately negatively impacted by CC and her governments policies....

Special ed kids lost service and supports for 12 years until the Supreme Court of Canada overturned CC's illegal policies...

If you were not personally impacted ... then consider yourself lucky. 

Edited by kingofsurrey