The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] So........these Tyson Barrie to Vancouver rumors:

I think it's important to note that great defense pairings are largely based on chemistry. Tanev's shutdown defense is a fantastic fit with Hughes and we're seeing the ability of that pairing to move the puck is keeping Tanev out of danger and healthy. This is a pairing where both players benefit as opposed to the Edler/Stecher pairing where Edler gets what exactly from stecher? I don't think we should be so quick to move on from Tanev, or Edler for that matter when they are by far the best defenders on the team at closing down the opposition and winning 1 on 1 battles.

I don't love Tyson Barrie and can't fathom throwing away more assets for a player we can't re-sign. That said I'd do a 1 for 1 for Stecher. I'm pretty high on Rafferty, I'd trade Stecher for a pick and call him up right now if it were up to me. He may still have learning to do defensively but he's got size, a shot and a better first pass than Stecher already.

No idea why people are so high on Tryamkin. Wouldn't mind him being the 7th defenseman but he'd just run back to Russia.

40 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

FWIW, I think this is more likely to occur, as Flames have the cap space, and they've been awfully quiet so far this trade deadline.....  :(

image.png.73e34823507e9678b2bad797d49669fb.png

Benning should spring for airporter services if Toronto is willing to trade Barrie to our division.  Even better if Calgary loses an actual defenseman in exchange.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Benning should spring for airporter services if Toronto is willing to trade Barrie to our division.  Even better if Calgary loses an actual defenseman in exchange.

Doesn’t all this “Barrie is wanted by all these teams talk” sound like a lot of Loser Leaf Puppet (hockey writer) propaganda?  

• Upvote 1

It's weird.

Toronto is in the market for a defenceman (https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-teams-calling-defence-thin-toronto-maple-leafs-1.1427452).

And yet, they want to trade Barrie. How bad is Barrie for them to want to trade him when what they need is exactly that: a defenceman.

Personally, I'm not against it if we can get him for Stecher + small payment. People say that he can't play defence but I think if the Canucks are to beat anyone in the playoffs, we would need more offence.

Re-assess at the end of the season and decide between Barrie and Tanev if we do end up getting Barrie.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

It's weird.

Toronto is in the market for a defenceman (https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-teams-calling-defence-thin-toronto-maple-leafs-1.1427452).

And yet, they want to trade Barrie. How bad is Barrie for them to want to trade him when what they need is exactly that: a defenceman.

Personally, I'm not against it if we can get him for Stecher + small payment. People say that he can't play defence but I think if the Canucks are to beat anyone in the playoffs, we would need more offence.

Re-assess at the end of the season and decide between Barrie and Tanev if we do end up getting Barrie.

More offense would be nice, but defensemen who play like AHLers in their own end get exposed in the playoffs.  He's as bad as Gardiner in his own end, who singlehandedly lost multiple playoff series with his absolutely atrocious play.   Barrie's play in the defensive zone is simply unacceptable; you simply can't win with guys like that.