The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | March (08-14) 2020

Rate this topic

20 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Vegas out shooting the Soil 23-6 in the 2nd period lol... yet somehow still a tied game. 

Tippett's gotta get some credit for the turnaround he did on the Oil. 

we need a tactical coach like him during this tough stretch with Marky out to eke out some wins...

2 things stand out for the Oilers as a team and Tippett and his "style" "system" whatever you want to call it is a big reason.

Only 1 losing streak of 3 or more (0-3-1 so they still managed a point).

7-1 in the second half of back-to-back's this season.

By comparison the Canucks have 5 losing streaks of 3 or more.

4-4-1 in the second half of back-to-back's

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Devils have released a statement asking the following people to not attend Devils’ games until further notice. 

• Guests who are feeling sick, regardless of their symptoms

• Guests who have traveled to, or been in close contact with someone who has traveled to, one of the high risk areas as outlined by the CDC in the past 14 days, even if asymptomatic

•Guests who have been in contact with an individual diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 14 days, even if asymptomatic

• Guests who have been diagnosed with COVID-19

• Guests with underlying health conditions, in particular, respiratory or cardiac issues

19 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

2 things stand out for the Oilers as a team and Tippett and his "style" "system" whatever you want to call it is a big reason.

Only 1 losing streak of 3 or more (0-3-1 so they still managed a point).

7-1 in the second half of back-to-back's this season.

By comparison the Canucks have 5 losing streaks of 3 or more.

4-4-1 in the second half of back-to-back's

At the same time their GA is just 4 goals lower then Canucks' and they have just 1 more win. Maybe Canucks is just a streaky team? Due to the age of the new core?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Silent Man said:

At the same time their GA is just 4 goals lower then Canucks' and they have just 1 more win. Maybe Canucks is just a streaky team? Due to the age of the new core?

Canucks don't do well in close scoring 1 goal games. Canucks excel when the teams play a high-tempo, fast skating, offensive game. This is a common/normal trend when the core of the roster is made up of younger players.

22 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Just a thought. I hope this is OK:mellow:

No its fine but to me its like saying "the Canucks are doing better this year because of luck", there are no stats/data for luck or for why a team would be streaky. I like stats and data. :) 

Here's a bit more on the +/- goals for the teams year over year that shows more.

After 69 games last season the Canucks goal differential was -30

After 69 games this season the Canucks goal differential is +11 a difference of 41 goals even though they have given up the same amount of goals (217)

The Canucks have improved by 13pts 65 last year and 78 this year

After 70 games last season the Oilers goal differential was -32

After 70 games this season the Oilers goal differential is +10 a difference of 42 goals and the Oilers have given up 16 fewer goals (229-213)

The Oilers have improved 14pts 69 last year and 83 this year.

The Canucks have improved based almost exclusively on their offensive improvement (Miller and Hughes).

The Oilers have improved in large part by lowering their goals against by nearly 8%. (Tippett)

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Thank you, love it, I am number guy myself, but not in hockey::D

I am just trying to understand if Canucks improving because they have a better roster this year or because of coach Green? Looks  like the former? 

Definitely the roster, so you can thank Benning. Its no secret that the 2 players that have had the biggest impact (outside of Markstrom) have been Miller and Hughes who have 35 of the 41 more goals the Canucks have scored up to this point.