The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Give me a break, Would Landeskog make a big hit to energize his team or drop the gloves if Mack got run...Yes as would Piterangelo, Toews, Crysby hacks and whacks when he is mad and has had a fight or 3. Staal in his younger years was more abrasive, Eric that is. Jordan I doubt would.

As for the rest, none have won a cup or gone to the finals leading their team. Landeskog hasn't either but he isn't a pushover .

All I am saying is if your team is struggling, or 1 of your teammates gets run. The Captain would be LEADING by example if he dropped the gloves, or went out and tried to energize his team with finishing his checks and crashing and banging a bit. Not asking for a Goon to emerge from Bo

Iginla 

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Give me a break, Would Landeskog make a big hit to energize his team or drop the gloves if Mack got run...Yes as would Piterangelo, Toews, Crysby hacks and whacks when he is mad and has had a fight or 3. Staal in his younger years was more abrasive, Eric that is. Jordan I doubt would.

As for the rest, none have won a cup or gone to the finals leading their team. Landeskog hasn't either but he isn't a pushover .

All I am saying is if your team is struggling, or 1 of your teammates gets run. The Captain would be LEADING by example if he dropped the gloves, or went out and tried to energize his team with finishing his checks and crashing and banging a bit. Not asking for a Goon to emerge from Bo

I've never once seen landeskog throw these big hits you speak of.

Horvat is pretty much a carbon copy of toews. Toews always had other players do his dirty work. And bo already has 3 career fights to match your made up Crosby number.

Your move...

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The whole point of what I’m saying is there is no reason to trade Beagle. No AHL plug is going to do a better job on the 4th line. 

As Beagle gets older, a younger player will absolutely do better.  We can’t afford all these older guys.  Their cap hits are hurting us, and their play hurts us too.  Miller, Edler, Tanev, Pearson, Tofu, and Bo are all experienced players, who can lead the group.  Those other old guys are not needed.  Dump ‘em.  They’re slowing us down.  (Okay, the coach is the biggest reason for our current woes) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

As Beagle gets older, a younger player will absolutely do better.  We can’t afford all these older guys.  Their cap hits are hurting us, and their play hurts us too.  Miller, Edler, Tanev, Pearson, Tofu, and Bo are all experienced players, who can lead the group.  Those other old guys are not needed.  Dump ‘em.  They’re slowing us down.  (Okay, the coach is the biggest reason for our current woes) 

No it’s obviously our captain that’s the problem 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I love Bo, and think he’s great.  I’d rather keep him, dump the old guys who aren’t contributing, and fire the coach. 

I think we get rid of everyone

But seriously I keep saying they’ll be gone in the next 1-2 years by then we should be competing every year in the playoffs. It really doesn’t matter that they are on the team now because we wouldn’t be any better off with the Utica Comets serving up half the forward group

You have to wonder if anything can be done at the moment? have the players stopped listening to the coach? are the coaches not preparing the players? are the players just not performing? who is actually leading in the locker room and out on the field....Bo is a young captain.....he still has lots to learn....but what is his message to the team at this stage?

They will definitely be out of a playoff spot after the games tonight. If they .500 for the remaining games, they won't make it.....

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lack of meaningful games experience.

The last Canucks players to be in the playoffs were Miller and Myers in 2018/19 (Fanta also had 3 games). Before them, in 2017/18, Pearson, Beagle and Toffoli played in the post season.

Other than that, they have no playoff experience. Even the coach is Green, pun intended. And sure, Bo played in 6 games five years ago, but that wasn't much and it was a while ago. 

So, who's going to take the team and lead them to the promiseland? IMO, it has to start with the right coach, especially for a young inexperienced team.

Crawford won a cup his sophomore season as a coach, furthermore he only had one year of AHL coaching before it.   It can happen - and of course the Nordiques/COL team back then was loaded with future HHOFers (what a gig!) and adding Roy was the icing on the cake.  Less "experience" both coaching and as a player then Green has. 

Could say Sullivan didn't have much head coaching experience either ... although he had loads of assistant coaching experience. 

As far as finding NHL experienced coaches that haven't lost their jobs permanently... well 25 coaches were hired around the same time or after...and most of them don't barely register with any sort of name recognition - including some that played in the NHL.

Babcock is about the only one available that would fit the bill.  Some say Gallant but what has he ever done in the playoffs and how many years of NHL coaching experience does he have?  Not much more then Green. To be honest I figured TG would be here just long enough until our core was ready and then given the boot.  The team is at least one year ahead of schedule (the contracts make that pretty obvious as to when JB figured his picks would start replacing place holders - one-two years away) and TG has been part of that too.  I get we are losing a lot and that it could mean his job.   That said JB better be awfully certain the next one will do a better job or it's his head on the platter next.  I truly don't think we have a good enough roster to have had a much better season.   But also understand that expectation and the losing could mean his job.   Think next year we wont be much different regardless of who's coaching too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

You have to wonder if anything can be done at the moment? have the players stopped listening to the coach? are the coaches not preparing the players? are the players just not performing? who is actually leading in the locker room and out on the field....Bo is a young captain.....he still has lots to learn....but what is his message to the team at this stage?

They will definitely be out of a playoff spot after the games tonight. If they .500 for the remaining games, they won't make it.....

If Arizona beats Winnipeg in reg they’ll still be in playoff spot with 2 games in hand. I figure we have to go 9-5

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

That doesn’t make any sense other wise they would have been exposed to teams fighting for playoff spots the last 2 years.

Instead people were complaining we were winning games in March and not helping our lottery odds 

Don't worry, this year we will be complaining about both...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Who's the last Canuck captain do any of that? 

Dont get me wrong I use to drool over iggy leading the flames and wished for that type of leader......

kinda funny oilers had Ryan Smyth as their captain when they made that run to the cup.....also under dogs

flames go on a similar run and iggy lead them all the way.....that fight iggy vs vinny still one of my favourites.......also under dogs

canucks captains Nazzy and Sedin and we where picked to make the final for how many years? Ha

we never won jack. 

You win with leaders that will do anything to win not turn the cheek.....

Like anyone else see this or just me? 

Soft captains don't win jack.....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Dont get me wrong I use to drool over iggy leading the flames and wished for that type of leader......

kinda funny oilers had Ryan Smyth as their captain when they made that run to the cup.....also under dogs

flames go on a similar run and iggy lead them all the way.....that fight iggy vs vinny still one of my favourites.......also under dogs

canucks captains Nazzy and Sedin and we where picked to make the final for how many years? Ha

we never won jack. 

Neither did Smyl or Linden ... at this point I have an open mind ...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Neither did Smyl or Linden ... at this point I have an open mind ...

Linden was like Bo though.....we need someone that will fight back no matter what , a real a hole ha....

l've notice petey does pretty good stick work, I guess green has him watching video on Crosby ha

honestly we are sticking with bo for a bit, this isn't LA (when they took the C from brown ha media in van would go nuts ha)

59 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I've never once seen landeskog throw these big hits you speak of.

Horvat is pretty much a carbon copy of toews. Toews always had other players do his dirty work. And bo already has 3 career fights to match your made up Crosby number.

Your move...

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/13217

without wasting more than 5 min I found this in regards to Landeskog

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

we never won jack. 

Linden I suppose, not known as a fighter or a huge hitter but I was at the game when he slammed Norton thru the glass

• Cheers 1

I think Bo is the obvious choice for Captain...he is a leader. Bo is alot like Linden was in the 90s. His game style  and demeanor.

My hope is Bo can be the 94 playoff Linden.  And Bo can be that dominate ...imo

theres a mean winning playoff guy in Bo and we need that guy. Hes just gotta turn it on.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Why is everyone asking bo to hit suddenly?

He didn't hit in JR. Its not really a part of his game. Hes not going to change the game that earned him the captaincy. If tanev was captain would you expect him to hit and start scoring? Did you expect henrik to fight?

Come on. Anyone who says they wouldnt have liked to see Henrik just lose it and pummel Brad Marchand or Tyler Seguin is LYING.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1