The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #29 Canuck of All-Time?

• P. Sundstrom
    • G. Adams
    • B. Horvat
    • P. Skriko
    • G. Odjick
    • D. Babych
    • G. Courtnall
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • O. Kurtenbach

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

How low can I go?

see the posts below, believe them.

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm afraid you left no room this time.

Maybe if the Canucks sign Pol Pot for a tryout or something.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

There is nothing lower. You've hit rock bottom.

• Haha 1

OK - Have some time to type out my list too (thanks again Biestra for spending the time to make yours) here it is and given this is somewhat subjective - eye of the be-holder - what pulled your heart strings etc. during your time as a fan this might have a bit a too heavy of a Linden teams flavor to some but personally aside from the early teams that couldn't gain much traction which as a new franchise is understandable and some of the 80's teams that toiled in the toughest division in hockey at the time - playoffs to me are given a higher weighting the regular season successes for the most part.  NO teams played as much or won as many games as the Linden teams did period....which is why guys like  Momesso, Murzyn, Babych, Courtnall, Adams, Lumme, and of course McLean, Bure and Linden get in maybe higher then some of their peers who played longer and maybe put up more points.   The Sedin teams also get some love given they were they did better then any team before or after - and are the ONLY team ever to be first in goals, first in goals against, first in PP% and close to first in PK to not win a cup, they are considered the best team ever in the history of the NHL not to win...go figure ... the Sedins lose out on first place purely based on playoff difference against Linden plus how iconic he's become (and deservedly so)

1-10

1. Linden,2. H. Sedin, 3.D. Sedin 4. Smyl, 5. Bure, 6. McLean 7. Luongo 8. Naslund 9. Ohlund (what could have been without almost losing an eye?)10. Gradin (19 points in 82')

11-20

11. Snepsts  (number two in mustache rankings) 12. Bertuzzi 13. Kesler (lets get these two out of the way - shame hurts their legacies with us - and their ranking) 14. King Richard 15. Lumme (playoffs give him a bump over the next three D's ...)16. Lidster 17. Ronning (best 2nd line center ever) 18, Kearns) 19. Edler (he doesn't belong ahead of any D's already listed)  20. Tanti

21-30

21.  Burrows ( sorry folks too many great guys to consider before him - the Sedins were a pretty sweet assignment right?)  22. Boudrias 23. Bieksa. 24.  Jovo-cop (best all around D ever length and lack of playoff success hurts legacy) 25. Sundrstrom 26. Lever 27 Adams.28 Courtnall.  29. Babcyh ( could beat all the above and below in bench press..a bit of a homer pick but mustaches rule)

31-40

31. Morrison (defensive conscious on one of our best lines ever) 32. "The Streak" 33. Mogilny (lack of playoffs hurt legacy...so does the "M" word). 34. "Strangler" 35.  Salo (do people forget how many games he actually played for us over a decade?  Hard to create a legacy from the infirmary...Edler and Tanev take notice a bit too).   36. Tiger ... any lower and he might snap!  37. Kurtenbach  38.  Rota  39. Ververgaert ( the first Bertuzzi kind of) 40. Gino! Gino! Gino!

41-50 (This is hard now)

41.  Horvat 42. Oddleifson (the first Horvat - solid playmaker - checker on forgotten teams)  43. Smith (best season ever with us - got us our first banner) 44. McCarthy (injury cost offensive defenseman cost us in 1982 cup run)  45. EP  (moving up this list fast for sure)  46. Murzyn...the first Tanev -except face punched anyone who came near the net or bumped a player or goalie - the "Tanev" to QH 's with Lumme for a long time...  47. Tanev (after a ton of consideration decided to bump some down and one out of the list) 48.  Hansen (sorry your the first to go down)  49.  Momesso - (key ingredient to our best Linden teams kept Ronning safe and chipped in his fair share -great all-around player for us - moving him up the more I think about him)  50.  Aucion  had a solid career ... still has a couple team records - the timing of his career hurts legacy for sure.

Edit: ha ha - I see I messed this up and am missing number 30...that gives me another player - will think on it and edit later.

Edit #2: Rick Lanz is missing in action.  Monkey Business indeed.  Will re-do the latter part of this list at a different date - Good news is Horvat might move up into the top 30...bad news is Aucion you are now an honourable mention - and no way will I put Momesso out of the top 50...so have to think on this.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Voting Skriko and nominating Rota....

4 straight 30 goal seasons, he should be already on the list tbh.  At least Linden beat out Bure, well done CDC.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

4 straight 30 goal seasons, he should be already on the list tbh.  At least Linden beat out Bure, well done CDC.  

I believe he is one of only 4 Canucks to ever achieve that feat. Naslund, Tanti and Linden would be the others I can think of.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe he is one of only 4 Canucks to ever achieve that feat. Naslund, Tanti and Linden would be the others I can think of.

Daniel was extremely close:

2008-09: 31 goals in 82 games

2009-10: 29 goals in 63 games

2010-11: 41 goals in 82 games

2011-12: 30 goals in 72 games

Had he played a couple more games in 2009-10, he probably would have made it. Also, in 2007-08, he had 29 goals in 82 games and 36 goals in the year prior to that, so he was also close to six straight years of 30+ goals.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Daniel was extremely close:

2008-09: 31 goals in 82 games

2009-10: 29 goals in 63 games

2010-11: 41 goals in 82 games

2011-12: 30 goals in 72 games

Had he played a couple more games in 2009-10, he probably would have made it. Also, in 2007-08, he had 29 goals in 82 games and 36 goals in the year prior to that, so he was also close to six straight years of 30+ goals.

iirc he got ripped off of a couple of goals that year just like Boeser in his rookie year - These guys are too nice to say anything about it.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

iirc he got ripped off of a couple of goals that year just like Boeser in his rookie year - These guys are too nice to say anything about it.

D Sedin was also King at GWG's - especially when you compare the quantity of goals he scored (which was excellent).  HHOF will eventually come calling for those two and deservedly so.  

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I remember people questioning my thoughts of Petey making the list, and yet Bo and Odjick are getting more votes than Skriko?

Skriko will probably start getting some of the Sundstrom votes.  He played a lot longer than Petey has so far.  As for Bo.  He is not the offensive player that Skriko was but he brings a lot of other things to the table that Skriko did not imo.  

Odjick idk lol.  For the most part he was just an enforcer but he's such a hero to the city.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Skriko will probably start getting some of the Sundstrom votes.  He played a lot longer than Petey has so far.  As for Bo.  He is not the offensive player that Skriko was but he brings a lot of other things to the table that Skriko did not imo.  

Odjick idk lol.  For the most part he was just an enforcer but he's such a hero to the city.

Most people who don't follow this team but was around while he played if asked who's the most memorable Canucks would likely include Gino - that's impact - the same way if we were asked to name some leafs Domi would probably come before a lot of guys - maybe even before guys like Vaive who scored 50 goals for them a couple of times...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Most people who don't follow this team but was around while he played if asked who's the most memorable Canucks would likely include Gino - that's impact - the same way if we were asked to name some leafs Domi would probably come before a lot of guys - maybe even before guys like Vaive who scored 50 goals for them a couple of times...

That's a good way of putting it.  Well said.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Not to mention how many enforcers were legit best Buds with the star of the team?  

2 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah, Skriko is my next vote after Sundstrom, so I think you're probably right.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

OK - Have some time to type out my list too (thanks again Biestra for spending the time to make yours) here it is and given this is somewhat subjective - eye of the be-holder - what pulled your heart strings etc. during your time as a fan this might have a bit a too heavy of a Linden teams flavor to some but personally aside from the early teams that couldn't gain much traction which as a new franchise is understandable and some of the 80's teams that toiled in the toughest division in hockey at the time - playoffs to me are given a higher weighting the regular season successes for the most part.  NO teams played as much or won as many games as the Linden teams did period....which is why guys like  Momesso, Murzyn, Babych, Courtnall, Adams, Lumme, and of course McLean, Bure and Linden get in maybe higher then some of their peers who played longer and maybe put up more points.   The Sedin teams also get some love given they were they did better then any team before or after - and are the ONLY team ever to be first in goals, first in goals against, first in PP% and close to first in PK to not win a cup, they are considered the best team ever in the history of the NHL not to win...go figure ... the Sedins lose out on first place purely based on playoff difference against Linden plus how iconic he's become (and deservedly so)

1-10

1. Linden,2. H. Sedin, 3.D. Sedin 4. Smyl, 5. Bure, 6. McLean 7. Luongo 8. Naslund 9. Ohlund (what could have been without almost losing an eye?)10. Gradin (19 points in 82')

11-20

11. Snepsts  (number two in mustache rankings) 12. Bertuzzi 13. Kesler (lets get these two out of the way - shame hurts their legacies with us - and their ranking) 14. King Richard 15. Lumme (playoffs give him a bump over the next three D's ...)16. Lidster 17. Ronning (best 2nd line center ever) 18, Kearns) 19. Edler (he doesn't belong ahead of any D's already listed)  20. Tanti

21-30

21.  Burrows ( sorry folks too many great guys to consider before him - the Sedins were a pretty sweet assignment right?)  22. Boudrias 23. Bieksa. 24.  Jovo-cop (best all around D ever length and lack of playoff success hurts legacy) 25. Sundrstrom 26. Lever 27 Adams.28 Courtnall.  29. Babcyh ( could beat all the above and below in bench press..a bit of a homer pick but mustaches rule)

31-40

31. Morrison (defensive conscious on one of our best lines ever) 32. "The Streak" 33. Mogilny (lack of playoffs hurt legacy...so does the "M" word). 34. "Strangler" 35.  Salo (do people forget how many games he actually played for us over a decade?  Hard to create a legacy from the infirmary...Edler and Tanev take notice a bit too).   36. Tiger ... any lower and he might snap!  37. Kurtenbach  38.  Rota  39. Ververgaert ( the first Bertuzzi kind of) 40. Gino! Gino! Gino!

41-50 (This is hard now)

41.  Horvat 42. Oddleifson (the first Horvat - solid playmaker - checker on forgotten teams)  43. Smith (best season ever with us - got us our first banner) 44. McCarthy (injury cost offensive defenseman cost us in 1982 cup run)  45. EP  (moving up this list fast for sure)  46. Murzyn...the first Tanev -except face punched anyone who came near the net or bumped a player or goalie - the "Tanev" to QH 's with Lumme for a long time...  47. Tanev (after a ton of consideration decided to bump some down and one out of the list) 48.  Hansen (sorry your the first to go down)  49.  Momesso - (key ingredient to our best Linden teams kept Ronning safe and chipped in his fair share -great all-around player for us - moving him up the more I think about him)  50.  Aucion  had a solid career ... still has a couple team records - the timing of his career hurts legacy for sure.

Edit: ha ha - I see I messed this up and am missing number 30...that gives me another player - will think on it and edit later.

Edit #2: Rick Lanz is missing in action.  Monkey Business indeed.  Will re-do the latter part of this list at a different date - Good news is Horvat might move up into the top 30...bad news is Aucion you are now an honourable mention - and no way will I put Momesso out of the top 50...so have to think on this.

Solid list.  I think one could surmise that we've been watching the same team over the years.

• Thanks 1

• -AJ- locked this topic