The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 3 Trades, 2 UFA signings, and 1 Compliance Buyout

Barrie is so bad defensively he would be a healthy scratch on the Comets.  There is a reason that Toronto, a team that only has 1 NHL quality defensemen, was desperate to get rid of Barrie.  Tanev is a far better player and will likely be cheaper.  I'll take a guy with some injury history over a guy who can stay healthy but is a complete liability in his own end.

No more defensemen who can't play defense.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:31 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

What we should look at is improving the top 6 D pairing, it was awful this year and young guys aren't gonna do well together. Need a solid veteran to play along side a Tryamkin.

I am talking a Dillon or a Edmundson.

this

cheaper stronger

plus Dillon is from Surrey, might want to sign close to home 3.5 M? 4 years

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wildcam said:

Sorry you are dreaming big time....Pettersson lead the SHL in scoring and playoffs..

Hoglander is realistically 2 years away from the NHL..

Now if your talking Podkolzin- 19,  6'1, 200 lbs he will come play in NHL next March after KHL season is over. He had a excellent playoff.

Hoglander 19, 5'9, 180lbs..

2018- 19  - GP 50 - G 7 - PTS 14

2019 - 20    GP 41 -  G 9 - PTS  16    You think is is making the NHL ??? Big No Sorry.. Lets hope he  plays top 6 in Utica?

Remember Anton Rodin -- 2019 -2000 --- GP 46 - G 14   PTS 46   

Sorry Hoglander will not be a impact player next season and he will be playing in Utica ..

Demko will be a number #1 goalie before 2022 season...He has dominated at each level college breaking Cory Schneider's record, played at world JR U20 - AHL 3 years and now  adjusting to NHL game at 24 years old..

Demko played 27 NHL games this season at age 24 maybe at 2 games that he wasn't happy with...He played very well ....

So Demko is following same path as Cory Schneider..

Cory played 3 seasons in Utica and at age 26 he played 25 NHL games and had a excellent career..

Demko will be as good as Cory Schneider..

And Cory Schneider is terrible...

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

And Cory Schneider is terrible...

Wasn't Cory Schneider excellent enough to get a high 1st rounder 9th overall????????? Was that not Bo  Horvat???

I think your very very confused....

Cory Schneider from age 24 - 32 was a top 20 goalie....He is now 34 and had serious hip surgery 2 years ago..

Edited by wildcam

21 hours ago, wildcam said:

Wasn't Cory Schneider excellent enough to get a high 1st rounder 9th overall????????? Was that not Bo  Horvat???

Cory Schneider from age 24 - 32 was a top 20 goalie....He is now 34 and had serious hip surgery 2 years ago..

Schneider had potential.

That potential is gone.

He has never and never will win 30 games in a nhl season.

I don't understand the rush to get prospects on the roster. 

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Motte Macewan Eriksson 

Leivo Baertschi. 

Sutter, Eriksson, Leivo, Baertschi and maybe Motte won't be back next year.

Next year without any signings

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat 

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Re sign Toffoli and F is crowded once Podkolzin and Hoglander come over....

What needs to happen is major upgrade on D. 

Preferably a big Rhd, preferably younger blue chip.

Hughes Myers 

Edler 

Benn Tryamkin 

Oj Rafferty 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Schneider had potential.

That potential is gone.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Motte Macewan Eriksson 

Leivo Baertschi. 

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat 

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Hughes Myers 

Edler 

Benn Tryamkin 

Oj Rafferty 

I agree biggest thing this summer is to get a top #3 D man under 27 years old...If Taffoli is resigned 4 yrs x 5 million...

Strongest position to trade from is wing..

1.Miller -  2.Taffoli -3. Boeser - 4. Pearson - 5. Virtanen - 6. Ferland - 7. Leivo - 8. Roussel - 9. MacEwen 

I know Boeser would bring back the best trade out of the wingers and would be expandable if they resign Taffoli..

As for Schneider he had 20 wins in 30GP his last season sharing net with Luongo

Traded to Devils he had 26 - 27 win season playing 54 games on average team...

Schneider was a very good goalie in fact better then Luongo his last 2 seasons in Vancouver...

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree biggest thing this summer is to get a top #3 D man under 27 years old...If Taffoli is resigned 4 yrs x 5 million...

Strongest position to trade from is wing..

1.Miller -  2.Taffoli -3. Boeser - 4. Pearson - 5. Virtanen - 6. Ferland - 7. Leivo - 8. Roussel - 9. MacEwen 

I know Boeser would bring back the best trade out of the wingers and would be expandable if they resign Taffoli..

As for Schneider he had 20 wins in 30GP his last season sharing net with Luongo

Traded to Devils he had 26 - 27 win season playing 54 games on average team...

Schneider was a very good goalie in fact better then Luongo his last 2 seasons in Vancouver...

Quality of team during those years, Luongo final 2 years and the 2 years before Schneider is alot different.

Schneider benefited greatly by having Luongo be #1.

His first year out east was ok, but in no way is Schneider comparable to Luongo.

I may not be a fan of Luongo and his personality traits but he is a HOF goalie.

Schneider may be lucky to make the AHL HOF

That's like Hedberg vs Roy 

Leivo is UFA.

rather have Boeser Toffoli Virtanen Macewan on RW.

LW Miller Pearson Ferland Roussell...

C Pettersson Horvat Gaudette Beagle.....

Sutter, Baer, Eriksson can hopefully be moved.

Leivo and Motte are going to want raises, bye!

I'd also be ok with Sutter and Motte being 13/14 F if the Canucks carry 7 D again, prefer 8 D myself.

15 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Quality of team during those years, Luongo final 2 years and the 2 years before Schneider is alot different.

Schneider benefited greatly by having Luongo be #1.

His first year out east was ok, but in no way is Schneider comparable to Luongo.

I may not be a fan of Luongo and his personality traits but he is a HOF goalie.

Schneider may be lucky to make the AHL HOF

That's like Hedberg vs Roy 

Leivo is UFA.

rather have Boeser Toffoli Virtanen Macewan on RW.

LW Miller Pearson Ferland Roussell...

C Pettersson Horvat Gaudette Beagle.....

Sutter, Baer, Eriksson can hopefully be moved.

Leivo and Motte are going to want raises, bye!

I'd also be ok with Sutter and Motte being 13/14 F if the Canucks carry 7 D again, prefer 8 D myself.

The Cory Schneider that played for Vancouver was a very good goalie until end of the 2018 season when he had serious Hip surgery..

Cory is 34 most goalies are on downward slope after age 32 in most cases...Every young goalie benefits from veteran goalie to show what it takes to be a NHL player? Sorry find your reply about Schneider confusing????? He was a #1 goalie for 6 years on his team?? Not making him out to be a Hall Of Fame goalie...lol..lol..lol..... Today Schneider is a AHL goal...

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

The Cory Schneider that played for Vancouver was a very good goalie until end of the 2018 season when he had serious Hip surgery..

Cory is 34 most goalies are on downward slope after age 32 in most cases...Every young goalie benefits from veteran goalie to show what it takes to be a NHL player? Sorry find your reply about Schneider confusing????? He was a #1 goalie for 6 years on his team?? Not making him out to be a Hall Of Fame goalie...lol..lol..lol..... Today Schneider is a AHL goal...

1) Schneider was on the canucks for 5 years.

2) Luongo was always #1 in Vancouver while both were here.

3) 98 games played for Schneider over 5 years in Vancouver.

4) Schneiders most starts were 30 with the canucks, who played the other 52? The #1.

5) Schneider was never #1 but had the potential to be one, when given the opportunity he failed.

6) your facts lol lol lol 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, wildcam said:

fair enough

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

1) Schneider was on the canucks for 5 years.

2) Luongo was always #1 in Vancouver while both were here.

3) 98 games played for Schneider over 5 years in Vancouver.

4) Schneiders most starts were 30 with the canucks, who played the other 52? The #1.

5) Schneider was never #1 but had the potential to be one, when given the opportunity he failed.

6) your facts lol lol lol 

Get your facts straight...Schneider was a #1 Goalie with New Jersey Devils..Go look you will see???

Schneider was not a #1 in Vancouver as you had a veteran in Luongo and rookie  was  Schneider....

Never said he was a #1 in Vancouver?? He was a Number #1 in New Jersey?? Just letting you know he was not a bad goalie?

They received a 1st rounder for him?? If Schneider was awful like you described he would of never got a 1st rounder 9th overall?? Bo Horvat ??

That alone tells you Schneider was a very good goalie??????????? 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:28 PM, wildcam said:

Sorry you are dreaming big time....Pettersson lead the SHL in scoring and playoffs..

Hoglander is realistically 2 years away from the NHL..

Now if your talking Podkolzin- 19,  6'1, 200 lbs he will come play in NHL next March after KHL season is over. He had a excellent playoff.

Hoglander 19, 5'9, 180lbs..

2018- 19  - GP 50 - G 7 - PTS 14

2019 - 20    GP 41 -  G 9 - PTS  16    You think is is making the NHL ??? Big No Sorry.. Lets hope he  plays top 6 in Utica?

Remember Anton Rodin -- 2019 -2000 --- GP 46 - G 14   PTS 46   

Sorry Hoglander will not be a impact player next season and he will be playing in Utica ..

Demko will be a number #1 goalie before 2022 season...He has dominated at each level college breaking Cory Schneider's record, played at world JR U20 - AHL 3 years and now  adjusting to NHL game at 24 years old..

Demko played 27 NHL games this season at age 24 maybe at 2 games that he wasn't happy with...He played very well ....

So Demko is following same path as Cory Schneider..

Cory played 3 seasons in Utica and at age 26 he played 25 NHL games and had a excellent career..

Demko will be as good as Cory Schneider..

You can’t just extrapolate a conclusion on what kind of starter Demko will be based on what Schneider did.  They are two different people, two different players. Playing on different teams. Demko MAY end up as a good starter.  Or he may end up as a career back up.  Too early to tell. He looked ok last season.  Just ok. 

9 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You can’t just extrapolate a conclusion on what kind of starter Demko will be based on what Schneider did.  They are two different people, two different players. Playing on different teams. Demko MAY end up as a good starter.  Or he may end up as a career back up.  Too early to tell. He looked ok last season.  Just ok. 

Can't agree more, Demko is on the right track and will have a better indication after playing another 30-35 games next season? It takes time to  and patience to develop a young goalie...

On 5/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Schneider had potential.

That potential is gone.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

Motte Macewan Eriksson 

Leivo Baertschi. 

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat 

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Hughes Myers 

Edler 

Benn Tryamkin 

Oj Rafferty 

I like this lineup, sign Toffoli ( 6 mil x 5 years), Trade Demko and Hoglander to Detroit for F. Zadina, Trade Virtanen to Buffalo for C.Miller or D. Severson from New Jersey

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Ferland Gaudette  Zadina

Roussell Beagle MacEwan 

Motte Leivo

Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi gone

Hughes Myers 

Edler Rafferty 

Tryamkin Miller or Severson

Oj Benn

Markstrom

Dominque

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I like this lineup, sign Toffoli ( 6 mil x 5 years), Trade Demko and Hoglander to Detroit for F. Zadina, Trade Virtanen to Buffalo for C.Miller or D. Severson from New Jersey

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Ferland Gaudette  Zadina

Roussell Beagle MacEwan 

Motte Leivo

Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi gone

Hughes Myers 

Edler Rafferty 

Tryamkin Miller or Severson

Oj Benn

Markstrom

Dominque

I likey!

Its different then what i usually propose.

I'm just going to point out though if the canucks do move Hoglander & Demko I'd be asking for a top end blue chip d man.

Podkolzin would get zadina"s spot and we'd keep JV.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Hughes Myers

Edler ?

Tryamkin Rafferty 

Oj Benn

Markstrom 

Domingue 

Wouldnt say for example, Demko & Hoglander be used to target Bouchard, Ekblad(i wish) Ristolainen?

Wouldnt swapping out Hoglander and Demko for zadina cause more roster issues at F?

Add Podkolzin and zadina maybe even Lind

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Podkolzin ?????  Zadina

Roussell Beagle Macewan 

Or

Hughes Myers 

Edler Ristolainen 

Tryamkin Rafferty 

Oj Benn

Honorable mention to the potential pairing of Hughes and Ekblad for the next decade:o

On 5/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, Drakrami said:

Scratching my head why people are so high on Hoglander on here. Is there some sort of back up to this? Even going so far as to declaring he is going to be a 1st line winger next year...? Or is it just some sort of pipedream where we will all forgot about these posts come October (hopefully no more COVID by then)

Very bizarre the OP thinks that Hoglander will beat out JT Miller to play on the top line with Petey lol.  JT Miller has played lights out and is the guy that retrieves the puck all the time on the top line.

Zero chance Hoglander plays with Petey over JT Miller.  :lol:

On 5/13/2020 at 7:48 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Here is what I hope the Canucks could do between now and next season...It does depend on a Hoglander shinning, which I truly believe he will. I feel Hoglander could be as good or slightly better then F. Fosberg. He has next level skill, as he sees the ice much like Petersson, and has a physical drive like Petey as well. They will make amazing line-mates, which frees up Miller to support Horvat and Boeser creating a extremely strong 1B option. Two scoring lines that will give opposing teams fits trying to defend. Ferland will be ready next season, as he will be 100% healthy and raring to go. Pearson becomes available, and he will be valued, and this leads to my first trade proposal. Edmonton would love Pearson, as he fits in as a top 6 forward with them, add Stecher, and Demko, and that should be enough to get Larsson who has never filled the value of the Hall trade in the eyes of Oilers fans. With Ethan Baer looking so darn good on the RD side, he should be the guy in that hole. E. Bouchard is a RD and will crack their lineup in October. 

The second and third trades are opportunities to clear cap for picks; Sutter + 3rd 2020 for a 2nd in 2020, and Roussel for a 3rd 2020.

We let Tanev, Leivo, and Fantenberg walk. Really sad to see Tanev go, but who in their right mind signs a guy who has proven to be injured often to a deal like Tanev will be looking for. Plus Larsson will be an upgrade, and will mesh beautifully with Hughes for years to come, and is 3 years younger then Tanev.

The 2 UFA's that I know would upgrade the Canucks are T. Barrie, at 28 years old, and probably could be had for around 6mil over 5 years. Imagine how dynamic he and Edler would be as a second pairing. The second UFA signing is Toffoli, and this is a must. He looked like a legit shooter option for Petey to pass to, which in turn makes Petey even more dangerous. 

The last piece to the puzzle in my mind is that OJ finally takes the leap to the NHL, and I predict he will help settle down Myers, as he is an exquisite passer, and will impress in training camp, as all of his physical gifts will shine and come through, and JB will be finally applauded for his guts in taking OJ.  This team will be a top 10 team next year with  Marky between the pipes, and a roster filled out like this.

Proposed line up:

Hoglander   Petersson   Toffoli

Miller    Horvat    Boeser

Ferland   Gaudette   Virtanen  (this is a heavy line, and with three engines)

Motte   Beagle   MacEwen

Hughes   Larsson

Edler   Barrie

OJ   Myers

Markstrom

Flame away...

One must also remember Pods is going to be available for the 21-22 season. 

Could be a more pressing situation than Hogs.

21 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I think Vancouver will try and get Podkolzin here right after his KHL season is over next season? Maybe as early as March 2021 not that far away very exciting...

22 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I like Barrie but we need a top #3 D man that is strong in the defensive zone to log big minutes with Hughes under 27 years old..

Vancouver fans don't like to hear it but weakest position is defence..I like Tanev but he is 30 years old and his body has  been beat up from his style of play and we know he is very injury prone...Edler is 34 years old logging big minutes against other teams top lines.. 

Move away from UFA Tanev 30, save 4.5 million -- Helps sign other free agents..

Trade from our strongest position wing .. Trade for top end D man under 27 years old that will log over 21 min per game playing with Hughes..

Edler can play less mins and try and keep him healthy...Edlers  plays a big role and we have to look after the old boy....

If we sign Taffoli to 4 yr x 4.9 million. Benning could trade a guy like Boeser..

Only reason I say trade Boeser is he will bring back the biggest return out of the wingers... Miller will not be traded..

Remember you have to trade something good to get this top end D man....

Not enough UFA D men and we don't have extra money... Thats why we trade a big contract Boeser 5.9 mil for that top end # 2 D man that makes 5.5 - 6.0 mi

Edited by wildcam