The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

16 hours ago, stawns said:

how so?  They were in a playoff spot when they hit pause.

No they were not. They may have had the same but lose the tie breaker and they were not going up, 4 wins and 7 losses last 11 games

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

No they were not. They may have had the same but lose the tie breaker and they were not going up, 4 wins and 7 losses last 11 games

Winning % says otherwise.  In the proposed format, aren't they seeded higher than Calgary?

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If we had scored 25 goals we would have let in 28.

I re-watched some of those goals.... the defensive coverage and backchecking at times were non-existent.  Plus there were a few that bounced off the end boards awkwardly to the front of the net.  

Hard to realistically blame Cloutier for many of those goals.  

21 hours ago, mll said:

Minnesota is not a physical team.  They delivered the least hits of any team this season.  

They were one of the better teams through the second half, as you’ve pointed out elsewhere. 

Does their lack of delivering hits correlate with strong puck possession stats? 

Will advanced stats show that they weren’t hitting as often because they usually had the puck instead of chasing opponents for it? 

The Wild looked to me like a smart, efficient team that used positioning and strength for puck retrieval, not hitting; the trademark of the poise of a veteran team. 

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I re-watched some of those goals.... the defensive coverage and backchecking at times were non-existent.  Plus there were a few that bounced off the end boards awkwardly to the front of the net.  

Hard to realistically blame Cloutier for many of those goals.  

Clouts gets a bad rap, he was a good goalie behind a team that pretty much ignored defense.

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Winning % says otherwise.  In the proposed format, aren't they seeded higher than Calgary?

You guys got me curious so I looked it up.  The Wild are 10th in the conference on both on points percentage and just points.  In either situation they are lower than Calgary.  The Canucks were 9th in the conference when the season ended but are 7th based on points percentage.

Here's a simple look at the rumored format https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1974885

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

You guys got me curious so I looked it up.  The Wild are 10th in the conference on both on points percentage and just points.  In either situation they are lower than Calgary.  The Canucks were 9th in the conference when the season ended but are 7th based on points percentage.

Here's a simple look at the rumored format https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1974885

I'm pretty sure the seeds are based on % and even if they went with a traditional 16 team format, the Canucks would still be in.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Clouts gets a bad rap, he was a good goalie behind a team that pretty much ignored defense.

Cloutier earned his rap in the playoffs.  Of all goalies in NHL history that have played 20 playoff games or more in their career, he is dead last in save percentage.  Last place in NHL history since they started keeping track of SPCT.  Literally last place in NHL history.

I like the guy but I watched those playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Miller/Petey

Bo

Sutter

Beagle

Thats some serious C depth if everyone's healthy. Minni counters with:

Staal

Erikson Ek

and..... ?

we should dominate on the dot. I see no way for Minni to dominate us physically either. Maybe Greenway but Nurse tuned him up so I'm not all that concerned. 

Just as an aside here, man what a terrific player and example Koivu has been for the Wild. 

I have a lot of respect for him as a player. He could have played in any era due to his Canadian-style game. What a beauty.

He has been everything to that team that Horvat projects to be in Vancouver, if not more. Too bad his teams were in cap hell or crippled for most of his tenure. There always seemed to be some kind of disaster and their hands. 

I feel for the Wild fans like I do for Columbus and hope luck shines on them for a change. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Cloutier earned his rap in the playoffs.  Of all goalies in NHL history that have played 20 playoff games or more in their career, he is dead last in save percentage.  Last place in NHL history since they started keeping track of SPCT.  Literally last place in NHL history.

I like the guy but I watched those playoffs.

I did too and he got absolutely no defensive support.  

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure the seeds are based on % and even if they went with a traditional 16 team format, the Canucks would still be in.

That may be true for THIS year only, but the NHL goes by points in a regular year.

It is not clear that they are in the playoffs at all, they might be playing to get into the playoffs as an imperfect solution to a historic year.

Agreed!  And the Canucks should be in or at least afforded the opportunity to earn it.  

I just thought that article cleared it up a bit and you can also see what the other match-ups would be as well.  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Crawford still thought he had Roy back there.

How many odd-man rushes against did we have in that series? 

I still hate Crawford for his poorly suited structure that left Cloutier, one of the worst lateral-movement goalies I’ve ever seen, in net to defend all those two or three on ones. 

Still bitter. :mad:

Just now, Lazurus said:

That may be true for THIS year only, but the NHL goes by points in a regular year.

It is not clear that they are in the playoffs at all, they might be playing to get into the playoffs as an imperfect solution to a historic year.

Of course, but At the end of the year everyone would have played the same number of games.  Winning % is the only way to seed with uneven numbers of games played and Vancouver is in, regardless of the format.

• Cheers 1

Berkshire's analysis of the matchup using Sportlogiq video tracking software:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/picking-winner-loser-dark-horse-nhls-proposed-24-team-playoff/

VAN-Min-playoff-1.png

Of all the teams that have an opportunity because of the play-in, the most dangerous might be the Minnesota Wild. Sneakily a very good team that was undone by a disastrously awful season from Devan Dubnyk, the Wild have been making up ground since going to Alex Stalock a little bit more often. Stalock still hasn’t been great, giving the Wild a league average save percentage despite playing behind one of the league’s best defences, but average is really all the Wild need to find success.

In their opponents, the Wild would find a Canucks team that was brilliant to start the season but has had weaknesses exposed over the course of the year, including a league-worst rush chance differential that would give the Wild a specific area to focus on and exploit. 

The Canucks would have a gigantic advantage in goal if Jacob Markstrom is fully recovered from the injury that took him out in late February, but without the ability to work out with team trainers it’s very possible that Markstrom is either behind schedule or would come back pretty rusty to start.

The Canucks are very reliant on their goaltender and power play to get things working for them, and against this Wild team that’s so strong at even strength, they would be really up against it to advance past the play-in.

The Canucks were dealt a rough card for sure, but they put themselves on the edge anyway so I can’t say they’ve been given the roughest ride here. [...]

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Berkshire's analysis of the matchup using Sportlogiq video tracking software:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/picking-winner-loser-dark-horse-nhls-proposed-24-team-playoff/

VAN-Min-playoff-1.png

Of all the teams that have an opportunity because of the play-in, the most dangerous might be the Minnesota Wild. Sneakily a very good team that was undone by a disastrously awful season from Devan Dubnyk, the Wild have been making up ground since going to Alex Stalock a little bit more often. Stalock still hasn’t been great, giving the Wild a league average save percentage despite playing behind one of the league’s best defences, but average is really all the Wild need to find success.

In their opponents, the Wild would find a Canucks team that was brilliant to start the season but has had weaknesses exposed over the course of the year, including a league-worst rush chance differential that would give the Wild a specific area to focus on and exploit. 

The Canucks would have a gigantic advantage in goal if Jacob Markstrom is fully recovered from the injury that took him out in late February, but without the ability to work out with team trainers it’s very possible that Markstrom is either behind schedule or would come back pretty rusty to start.

The Canucks are very reliant on their goaltender and power play to get things working for them, and against this Wild team that’s so strong at even strength, they would be really up against it to advance past the play-in.

The Canucks were dealt a rough card for sure, but they put themselves on the edge anyway so I can’t say they’ve been given the roughest ride here. [...]

Considering they were pegged as a bottom feeder by most "experts", everything is gravy from here on out, regardless of outcome.

Post season experience is the payoff

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course, but At the end of the year everyone would have played the same number of games.  Winning % is the only way to seed with uneven numbers of games played and Vancouver is in, regardless of the format.

That is what makes it imperfect this year, teams that played a more compressed schedule got penalized, Canucks had many games to play vs teams ramping up and within the division. If the Canucks had played two more games and won one and lost one, which is better than they were trending, they would be a lower seed by point percentage .563

Edited by Lazurus

Just now, Lazurus said:

That is what makes it imperfect this year, teams that played a more compressed schedule got penalized, Canucks had many games to play vs teams ramping up and within the division. If the Canucks had played two more games and won one and lost one they would be a lower seed by point percentage .563

I understand what you're saying, but you don't know what would have happened.  The Nucks could have went on a year to finish the season.  

It doesn't matter what could (or couldn't) have been.  What matters is what it is.