The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

This is one of the better solutions available so far.  Can’t argue with the reasoning and this would give fans and teams all a fair chance...could make for some interesting upsets which is probably the only downside (for teams and fans of those teams that are already in ..).   MIN?  Well depends which team shows up for us no matter what ...

• Upvote 1

I think we stand a pretty good chance against them.  Dubnyk only went 12-15-2 while Stalock started most games.  

We probably have the upper hand in terms of depth of talent (their centers are mediocre behind Staal) and our wingers outscored theirs in the regular season.  Their physicality might be an issue, though we have a bunch of tough guys ourselves and it'd probably be fairly even with everyone healthy.  Their only advantage would probably be in the amount of vets who would probably pose a threat (Staal, Suter, Parise come to mind) and Markstrom would still need to stand tall among all the giants setting screens around him.  Might go the distance but I see us still having the upper hand.  

Personally more excited for the next series vs the Avalanche, should be wide open skating and Hughes vs Makar.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

The last time we played Minny in the playoffs did not go well for us. Hopefully we come out on top this time around

The last time Minny looked really dangerous in the playoffs, we still had a Sundin.

They had no scoring. They still don't, but their goalies are their grace. If one gets hot, they win. Otherwise, they're a favourable matchup.

32 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I think we stand a pretty good chance against them.  Dubnyk only went 12-15-2 while Stalock started most games.  

We probably have the upper hand in terms of depth of talent (their centers are mediocre behind Staal) and our wingers outscored theirs in the regular season.  Their physicality might be an issue, though we have a bunch of tough guys ourselves and it'd probably be fairly even with everyone healthy.  Their only advantage would probably be in the amount of vets who would probably pose a threat (Staal, Suter, Parise come to mind) and Markstrom would still need to stand tall among all the giants setting screens around him.  Might go the distance but I see us still having the upper hand.  

Personally more excited for the next series vs the Avalanche, should be wide open skating and Hughes vs Makar.

Minnesota is not a physical team.  They delivered the least hits of any team this season.  Greenway can be a beast but he is inconsistent in using his size.  Foligno is solid - he was acquired by Fletcher who felt the Wild were too soft for the playoffs.  The roster changed at F but they didn't add physicality other than Greenway and Hartman who is not an imposing player.  Big guys like Coyle, Niederreiter are gone.  

Their vets are more likely going to have a hard time to get going after sitting at home for so long. 

9 minutes ago, brownky said:

The last time Minny looked really dangerous in the playoffs, we still had a Sundin.

They had no scoring. They still don't, but their goalies are their grace. If one gets hot, they win. Otherwise, they're a favourable matchup.

The Wild are the 2nd highest scoring team behind Tampa since 1 November (in goals for per game).   They had a very slow October where they spent most of their time on the road and finishing the month tied last.  They are now just 1 point behind Vancouver.  Over the season (including their poor October) they have outscored the Canucks at 5v5 - 156 to 141.

The Wild's goalies have been their downfall this season.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Minnesota is not a physical team.  They delivered the least hits of any team this season.  Greenway can be a beast but he is inconsistent in using his size.  Foligno is solid - he was acquired by Fletcher who felt the Wild were too soft for the playoffs.  The roster changed at F but they didn't add physicality other than Greenway and Hartman who is not an imposing player.  Big guys like Coyle, Niederreiter are gone.  

Their vets are more likely going to have a hard time to get going after sitting at home for so long. 

The Wild are the 2nd highest scoring team behind Tampa since 1 November (in goals for per game).   They had a very slow October where they spent most of their time on the road and finishing the month tied last.  They are now just 1 point behind Vancouver.  Over the season (including their poor October) they have outscored the Canucks at 5v5 - 156 to 141.

The Wild's goalies have been their downfall this season.

And in games this season where the Canucks scored 7 or more goals, they have won 100% of those games.

Baseball stats are fun. Pointless, but fun.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

And in games this season where the Canucks scored 7 or more goals, they have won 100% of those games.

Baseball stats are fun. Pointless, but fun.

I don't understand what you mean.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

On paper, the Canucks are the better team and should take out Minni. But thats on paper, if Dubnyk stands on his head for 3 games and Marky doesn't then its over.

Funny thing is, this might be the 1st time all year that the entire Canucks group  is healthy. We're deeper than Minni in every category so I'd much rather see this matchup than Winnipeg. 

I agree I’d rather play them than Winnipeg, but we’ve had our share of struggles against Minnesota too 

• Upvote 3

Can’t see GMs agreeing to this.

How is it fair that a team like Edmonton who was second in the division has to play in against Chicago who was unlikely to make it?

Dont like it, I’d rather they have the top 3 from each division get a bye, And then have the other 12 have to play in.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t see GMs agreeing to this.

How is it fair that a team like Edmonton who was second in the division has to play in against Chicago who was unlikely to make it?

Dont like it, I’d rather they have the top 3 from each division get a bye, And then have the other 12 have to play in.

I think GMs would rather have all teams who were in the hunt get a fair shot at getting in, than jumping straight to the playoffs and not giving those teams a chance. I didn’t like it originally but considering there were plenty of games left for said teams to make a push this format is reasonable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think GMs would rather have all teams who were in the hunt get a fair shot at getting in, than jumping straight to the playoffs and not giving those teams a chance. I didn’t like it originally but considering there were plenty of games left for said teams to make a push this format is reasonable. 

I don’t mind it I just don’t like how they’re giving more byes to the East.

Should be divisional IMO.

Edmonton and Pittsburgh shouldn’t have to play in against teams that weren’t gonna make it.

It's hockey, the Canucks get gifted their playoff spot.

Plan the parade!

24 teams eh?, Points percentage. Not everyone will be happy no matter what.

But this is, hopefully, a single season anomaly.

Minnesota has had the Canucks number the last two games but in a three out of five with no SO, who knows.

For the Canucks, with 12 teams making it, the points percentage doesn't matter, they would still be playing Minnesota but I do see it being unfair to some teams just because the schedule maker compressed some games.

Calgary goes from playing Arizona to Winnipeg and Edmonton has to play in, IF this is the way they do it.

All that seems to be certain is that 24 teams are still playing. It could be that other than the top four the rest are not in the playoffs but just playing for a spot. That would alter some bonuses and other contract obligations.

Maybe if there are just two hubs they all play a 5 game round robin to finalize positions with the bottom eight, total seasonal points, being eliminated, WHO KNOWS?

It makes a difference whether this is called playoffs because the Canucks are currently over the cap by millions

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t mind it I just don’t like how they’re giving more byes to the East.

Should be divisional IMO.

Edmonton and Pittsburgh shouldn’t have to play in against teams that weren’t gonna make it.

That’s the thing, we don’t know if they were gonna make it or not. In the west Chicago was 6 points out with 12 games to go, they could’ve easily made up that ground if they got hot. I agree about Montreal though they would’ve had to almost go undefeated to have a real shot.