The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] BLOCKBUSTER!

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Can’t disagree with any of that.  For me the deal would have to be like the Seth Jones one or no thanks.   BB shooting percentage is too low - he’s had some bad luck on that front for sure.   I’d expect it to go up.   His passing game has improved, as has his board work and play on the other side of the puck which evens things out a bit.   After his rookie year and his 40ish goal pace - All-Star game heriocs etc I was pretty convinced we’d acquired a special player.   Still do.  We may have a glut of middle six forwards, but we don’t yet have enough core players including BB in it.   To me he’s like Sharp was for CHI. Great looking dude (ha ha) scoring winger with potential or one day challenge for a Rocket Richard.   He’s going to put the work in to get a big legacy contract with us ... and I’m expecting a 35-35 performance from him next season.   Miller and EP will no doubt help him with that.   Given he’s played on two different lines and still produced well he’s a keeper for sure.   

Look how long it took Naslund (27) and the Sedins (29-30) to explode.   BB best seasons are definitely still ahead of him, would hate to see him go for a “top four” defenseman - would rather get one for free like we did with Myers once the money is available (which it will be).

Edit:  and for all those who have dreams of Dumba or Parayoko or whomever .... in what I’d perceive as an down year for BB he was still the 4th best RW producer in the entire league when he went down.   Hope he scores 20 goals for us this playoffs and puts this all to rest ha ha. 

Wouldn't a fire hydrant be expected to get 40 goals playing with EP? :rolleyes::lol:

With having Hughes, EP etc for goalies to  now be concerned with and BB getting his shooting % to double back into elite territory i would think 50 should be expected of him.

EP has the dekes, the shot, the pass and the one timer to worry goalies . BB has to work on a quicker release and be more accurate on his shots, if he can't get it off quick on a certain shot, pass it off and don't make your play predictable and easy for a goalie on what to expect and make you and the team more dangerous

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Can’t disagree with any of that.  For me the deal would have to be like the Seth Jones one or no thanks.   BB shooting percentage is too low - he’s had some bad luck on that front for sure.   I’d expect it to go up.   His passing game has improved, as has his board work and play on the other side of the puck which evens things out a bit.   After his rookie year and his 40ish goal pace - All-Star game heriocs etc I was pretty convinced we’d acquired a special player.   Still do.  We may have a glut of middle six forwards, but we don’t yet have enough core players including BB in it.   To me he’s like Sharp was for CHI. Great looking dude (ha ha) scoring winger with potential or one day challenge for a Rocket Richard.   He’s going to put the work in to get a big legacy contract with us ... and I’m expecting a 35-35 performance from him next season.   Miller and EP will no doubt help him with that.   Given he’s played on two different lines and still produced well he’s a keeper for sure.   

Look how long it took Naslund (27) and the Sedins (29-30) to explode.   BB best seasons are definitely still ahead of him, would hate to see him go for a “top four” defenseman - would rather get one for free like we did with Myers once the money is available (which it will be).

Edit:  and for all those who have dreams of Dumba or Parayoko or whomever .... in what I’d perceive as an down year for BB he was still the 4th best RW producer in the entire league when he went down.   Hope he scores 20 goals for us this playoffs and puts this all to rest ha ha. 

Uhm. Based on what? He’s nowhere near 4th in points by a real. He’s also way down the list in points per game.  So what stat are you looking at 

19 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Uhm. Based on what? He’s nowhere near 4th in points by a real. He’s also way down the list in points per game.  So what stat are you looking

Your right - but at the 47 game mark he was tied for 5th and had two games less then Stone. 

Ok.  Two things - he was the 4th in what West when he went  down, that’s my mistake - but it wasn’t long before he was top five league wide.  12th in the league and five points away from being top 7ish.  Think losing time to JV (went down to the third line for a spell) has something to do with the drop.   As far as PGP he slipped a little there too, a few from guys that played a few games so wouldn’t count them (Yamamoto) - he’s still comfortably in the upper third of first line R Wingers since his career started in that category.   Miles ahead of TT, and should still be a year or two from  entering his prime years.    THN has him already in the top ten in the league for best by position too.  

He won’t reach Kane, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marner levels,  but he definitely could challenge for that fifth spot at some point - as he showed for most of this season.   For perspective he has a higher PGP then Laine since the last three seasons combined.

Edited by IBatch

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your right - but at the 47 game mark he was tied for 5th and had two games less then Stone. 

Ok.  Two things - he was the 4th in what West when he went  down, that’s my mistake - but it wasn’t long before he was top five league wide.  12th in the league and five points away from being top 7ish.  Think losing time to JV (went down to the third line for a spell) has something to do with the drop.   As far as PGP he slipped a little there too, a few from guys that played a few games so wouldn’t count them (Yamamoto) - he’s still comfortably in the upper third of first line R Wingers since his career started in that category.   Miles ahead of TT, and should still be a year or two from  entering his prime years.    THN has him already in the top ten in the league for best by position too.  

He won’t reach Kane, Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marner levels,  but he definitely could challenge for that fifth spot at some point - as he showed for most of this season.   For perspective he has a higher PGP then Laine since the last three seasons combined.

I don’t disagree.  He’s a great player.  Probably safe to call him a top 20 RW. I was just confused by you saying he was the 4th most productive.  Lol 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t disagree.  He’s a great player.  Probably safe to call him a top 20 RW. I was just confused by you saying he was the 4th most productive.  Lol 

Yeah I should have been more specific.  He’s definitely a top 20 RW...I’d have him in the 12-15 range - higher without his injuries...but the best part is he’s just getting started where as for most above him they are in their prime or like Kane started out exceptional.   Rantanen is another guy I should have included as a level above..playing with McKinnon and those physical gifts I doubt BB will ever reach similar heights.    He’s passed or is close to some solid players in PGP (Keller, O’Reilly, Laine, Koneckny, Radulov, Voracheck, Tarasenko) -  I think he should end up in Stone territory once he reaches his prime ... Svecknikov is one guy I also think could end up with the cream at one point.    See him as a 35-35 consistent producer - maybe 85 points as a peak year one day.   For perspective he’s already in Sedin territory for career PGP...nothing at all wrong with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 1:58 PM, theo5789 said:

Montour is an RD like Stecher I believe. Aside from Risto, they Colin Miller and Jokiharju who are also RD, so hard to say if Stecher cracks that defense even without Risto. Nevermind the fact that Stecher will be an RFA that we likely won't qualify, so they could potentially have him for free if we let him walk (which we might do especially if we are adding to the RD, whether through Risto or someone like Tryamkin).

It's been discussed in the past that it's unsure of their interest in Demko. They have Ullmark who's in a similar situation as Demko (if they acquire him, then they too will be forced to decide to expose one of the other) and the have Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen as their up and coming goalie.

For the return, I can't see us not moving someone like Boeser unfortunately. I'd rather pass on Reinhart (due for a raise) and just target Risto and hopefully be able to explore other options rather than moving Boeser if possible.

Risto would be a fine target if our defense was - well better defensively.  We need a defensive defenseman or a two-way defensemnan that’s got strong defense more then a few more points but a lot more goals against.   A Snepsts/Butcher/Murzyn/Mitchell type.  Hold on ... we already have that in Tanev.  What we should be doing is trying to upgrade Stecher into another Mitchell/Tanev type if we can.   Love his motor but would really rather offer Tree a contract to see what he can manage as that’s right in his wheelhouse.  It would also allow Myers to do his thing.   Trying to outscore the opposition is fun to watch but Markstrom shouldn’t have to pick up all the slack either.  Manson in ANA would be a better add. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Risto would be a fine target if our defense was - well better defensively.  We need a defensive defenseman or a two-way defensemnan that’s got strong defense more then a few more points but a lot more goals against.   A Snepsts/Butcher/Murzyn/Mitchell type.  Hold on ... we already have that in Tanev.  What we should be doing is trying to upgrade Stecher into another Mitchell/Tanev type if we can.   Love his motor but would really rather offer Tree a contract to see what he can manage as that’s right in his wheelhouse.  It would also allow Myers to do his thing.   Trying to outscore the opposition is fun to watch but Markstrom shouldn’t have to pick up all the slack either.  Manson in ANA would be a better add. 

Would be fine with Manson, but just feel like Buffalo is more in a desperation mode and could more easily be taken advantage of. Plus more risk could be taken due to it be a West-East trade versus a divisional trade.

With that said, I think Risto isn't really going to be a reality, but just a top 4 RD that could be available that I would like. The most likely scenario is we simply add Tryamkin and he fits the bill as you suggest.

However, with that said, I don't think Risto is as much of a liability on defense as some would like believe. He is depended to be their top defensive and offensive guy at times on what has been a piss poor team for years. He's basically an Edler type of player to me (and Edler had some really piss poor +/- in our bad years as well which people also nitpicked on). His role would be reduced here and be more balanced, but I suspect his defensive stats would have a nice uptick here.

I think a right side of Risto, Myers and Tryamkin would be intimidating on both ends of the rink.

20 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Wouldn't really put in the blockbuster category.

You want a Blockbuster?

How about dealing for an unhappy Jack Eichel?

That would certainly open a lot of eyes.

Eichel and McDavid going head to head on a regular basis would be amazing.

Buffalo would want Pettersson + for Eichel. How would you feel about that?  Lol