The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

No he doesn't, the only thing he ever won was one WHL championship but he wasn't even really their head coach that year, Mike Johnson was but got suspended so Travis gave Mike's orders to the team for the last part of the season.  

14 years in the show, a memorial cup final and a calder final as well.  that may not seem impressive, but it is elite.

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

14 years in the show, a memorial cup final and a calder final as well.  that may not seem impressive, but it is elite.

For a regular guy sure, but again that first one was Mike Johnson not Travis Green.

There's a lot of coaches out there with a better resume than one Calder final and missing playoffs almost every other time. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

For a regular guy sure, but again that first one was Mike Johnson not Travis Green.

There's a lot of coaches out there with a better resume than one Calder final and missing playoffs almost every other time. 

Green is now under the most pressure he has been since joining the big team. Let’s see what he does to help this team. I think we are going to see a different team tomorrow both in terms of personnel and play. They got another level.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Team cant generate off the rush, fewest goals from rush in the entire league! 

The majority of playoff goals are not scored off the rush so that’s not the problem.

They weren’t able to cycle the puck to the net at all last night which was the problem. That’s their strength normally.

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

Green is now under the most pressure he has been since joining the big team. Let’s see what he does to help this team. I think we are going to see a different team tomorrow both in terms of personnel and play. They got another level.

Sure im down with that. I just wanted to set the record straight on his non existent resume. 

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The majority of playoff goals are not scored off the rush so that’s not the problem.

They weren’t able to cycle the puck to the net at all last night which was the problem. That’s their strength normally.

I think it is a problem . Perimeter shots are not a threat and the cycle was easily shutdown. You need more than one way to score. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, samurai said:

Elite? I mean it's a solid resume but none of that I'd consider elite. And what was his overall record in the AHL outside of that one finals run? Honestly, this coaching staff would really look solid if we went after Crow as well. To help Greener along. 

8 minutes ago, Conscience said:

I think it is a problem . Perimeter shots are not a threat and the cycle was easily shutdown. You need more than one way to score. 

Yes but if they don’t get the cycle going it won’t matter.

Goals will be scored in and around the net way more often than from the slot.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Elite? I mean it's a solid resume but none of that I'd consider elite. And what was his overall record in the AHL outside of that one finals run? Honestly, this coaching staff would really look solid if we went after Crow as well. To help Greener along. 

anyone that makes it to the NHL as a player (14 years) and coach is elite in my books.  And the stats of making it would support this.   Green if you count playoff games has over a 1000 games in the show. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

it is pretty accurate though.  The things posters want to lay at the feet of Green had nothing to do with coaching, but with execution.

It’s not entirety of the posters on this site though. A lot of folks see the situation in different ways. So, it’s not accurate. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

The top-6 need more accountability. I'm bewildered as to why people are focusing on Motte's, Roussel's and Gaudette's lack of scoring chances when the guys whose job it is to score were completely ineffective. 

Was someone complaining about Motte? He brought the body consistently last night. Roussel seems to have dried up and is a shell of the agitator he used to be. 

Gaudette could have been better in the dot, but he acquitted himself well. 

The former Kings and former Lightning player need to play a hell of a lot better. Show some guts and heart. Same with Horvat. Kid needs to lead. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, samurai said:

anyone that makes it to the NHL as a player (14 years) and coach is elite in my books.  And the stats of making it would support this.   Green if you count playoff games has over a 1000 games in the show. 

We measure success differently.

Regardless, I personally think a change could be refreshing since the contract is up. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

39 minutes ago, samurai said:

I hold players/coaches to a higher standard than games played. To be elite you kind of need to be, ya know. Elite. He was a good player, found a place in the league. But was he ever in the realm of a Kovalchuk, or Naslund, or Tavares etc? No, they are elite. He was a serviceable player that found a niche in the league. He's an average coach and his biggest achievement is winning in a teen's league and going to the finals in the AHL once and as far as I know they did nothing else in his tenure. But hey, low standards makes us all winners. :)