The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

I’m starting to wonder what the alternative reality looks like where we took equivalent assets to we might spend on OEL (and maybe adding in JV’s rights too), packaged them up to move out Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, and Roussel. Then used the resulting ~30M in cap space (about what we’d have to spend if we shed those deals and added the savings to our current space) to make a play at Pietrangelo. Sign Marky, Tofu, and all our main pieces, and possibly even circle back on Tanev, if a Petro deal couldn’t get done. Flesh out any remaining spots with cheap one year UFA deals and graduating ELC players into the lineup.

All those contracts (Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel) have less cash remaining on then than their cap hits, and they’re all movable, IMO, with the right sweeteners and packaging.

It wouldn’t be easy, I’ll admit. But it’s far from impossible.

And it actually seems much simpler and less risky plan than the current spinning plates game JB seems to be playing with this OEL deal, having to play hardball and not cave on the assets we’re willing to spend, still manage to get the necessary cap dumps attached to this move (or else it just won’t work), and keeping all our key free agents in limbo, while this whole thing plays out.

It could all work out beautifully, and I really hope it does, but if those spinning plates all come crashing down over the next week, it’s gonna be one hell of a mess.

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Good on JB! hold on to Demko he is our future.

if you can get markstrom at no more than $5.5 x 6 and bring in oel on a good trade, I'd do it. you gotta lose one goalie anyway and they still have (boom or bust) mike dipietro in the pipe. 

edit: I went into this offseason expecting to lose demko, virtanen and gaudette in the shuffle. we'll see how it plays out. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

My point to deniro was to not count on what Benning says about their division of starts in the off-season. That's all. Not saying I disagreed with Benning before.

my point to you is that they don't say it "every offseason" because this past offseason was the only one where it even applied. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

if you can get markstrom at no more than $5.5 x 6 and bring in oel on a good trade, I'd do it. you gotta lose one goalie anyway and they still have (boom or bust) mike dipietro in the pipe. 

Exactly. If we re-sign Marky then it makes sense to include Demko in the OEL trade. We will find a decent back up goalie at a good price.

Just now, tas said:

my point to you is that they don't say it "every offseason" because this past offseason was the only one where it even applied. 

Huh? Benning's on record before this past season as saying that they were planning to start Demko 30 or so games. Ditto Green. And before you say "show me the quotes", I'm not gonna waste my time scouring theh interwebz searching for it. If interested, do it yourself.

1 minute ago, tas said:

if Marky was 3-4 years younger and played as good as he did this past season then yes its a no brainer. But the way Demko performed under pressure (down 3-1 in the series) and almost single handedly won us the series and mentally destroyed Vegas cup aspirations lol.. trading him seems like a regret in the making.

Demko is turning 25 just about to hit his prime and we have him at cost controlled for at least the next 3-4 years. 

39 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He is trying to push back the deadline. If I am JB I start taking assets off the table if Boston re-signs Krug.

The Canucks need to have given their own deadline to Arizona being tonight at midnight so they can move on to Plan B for another top 4 defensman as the pressure is all on Armstrong and time to put the screws to the new guy lol 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Huh? Benning's on record before this past season as saying that they were planning to start Demko 30 or so games. Ditto Green. And before you say "show me the quotes", I'm not gonna waste my time scouring theh interwebz searching for it. If interested, do it yourself.

dubious at best.

a quick Google search turned up one allusion from a blog to the effect that green would likely want to start demko 20-30 times in 2019-20. demko took the result in 25 games in a 68 or 70 game season (whatever it was).

seems like a pretty trustworthy estimate. 

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

if Marky was 3-4 years younger and played as good as he did this past season then yes its a no brainer. But the way Demko performed under pressure (down 3-1 in the series) and almost single handedly won us the series and mentally destroyed Vegas cup aspirations lol.. trading him seems like a regret in the making.

Demko is turning 25 just about to hit his prime and we have him at cost controlled for at least the next 3-4 years. 

I like demko a lot and I think he'll be a star, but at the end of the day, in 2020, he's just a goalie. look at the available list. how many truly dominant goalies are there in the league now? it's kind of just a plug and play position as long as you have an adequate baseline, like with running backs in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Shaodin said:

I really hope no move is the best move here. I’ve been checking my phone every 5 seconds. Just seems like the grand slam of outcomes here is so far fetched. It really feels like we’re going to do nothing. 

sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, but if the price is right then you can't walk away from OEL as he is too good for this year and the next 4-5 years but the last 2 years could be a problem but if he helps you get into the 2nd round again or farther then it makes it worthwhile. Plus the last 2 years he is only getting paid $5.5 million so you can buy him out. 

Ottawa would take LE if we send them a 1st.  Ariz will send us OEL if we give them a first and Virt and no LE and no retention. Would VEGAS send us MAF and a first if we give them  a second and we take the full cap hit on MAF. Maybe. They are in a tight spot.

Math works.  We keep all our young guys except Virt.  We give up our next year first and second and we take 7 for MAF plus 8.25 for OEL less 6 for LE and whatever Virt signs for.

Fits the cap.

Could be a possible scenario.

Or second choice JB does nothing and goes young.  Do the deal with Vegas for the first if he can and keep it for the future. Play young guys sign no long term UFAS. Youth developing and two first round picks for the future. Not awful.

Third option is UFA route which has lots of possibilities.  Use cap to shop for good UFAS to fit our needs . Maybe Cernak in a trade.

We are in good shape in any of the 3 scenarios.

The sky is definitely not falling for  all the chicken littles out there. Canuck fans know we are on the rise and we will come out of this smelling like a rose by the time the season starts - regardless what the media wants to say.

Our core is great and these moves are supplementary. I trust JB to do a good job here. Give him time.

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

In addition, typically the performance bonus carryover overage counts 100% against the next season cap. Special for overages caused by 19-20, teams will have the option to split the bonus overage 50% between 20-21 and 21-22.

https://puckpedia.com/PPCBA

Ah cool, I didn't know that, thanks

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

dubious at best.

a quick Google search turned up one allusion from a blog to the effect that green would likely want to start demko 20-30 times in 2019-20. demko took the result in 25 games in a 68 or 70 game season (whatever it was).

seems like a pretty trustworthy estimate. 

All quotes aren't etched on Mount Google. Two 24 hour sports stations talking hockey all year round is where I got it from Benning. More to the point, Benning stated on several other occasions (at least), without putting an exact number on it, that the plan was to have Demko start a significant number of games, that they wanted to get him experience, that they believed in him, that he needed to see top quality action, blah blah blah.

At first he and Green kept their word/plan. Demko slightly outperformed Markstrom the first two months (both played well, though), then Demko got hurt. Demko came back near Xmas, but Markstrom was 'the man'  the rest of the season, Demko only seeing action (not as development) on back-to-backs or after Markstrom had had a long run.

Again, I don't fault them (although I still would've liked to see Demko get at least another 5-7 games), but them's the facts.