The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Markstrom sign a contract without a NTC?

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

9 hours ago, aliboy said:

He's not going to sign a contract and just end up in Seattle, if that's the case he may as well pick his own destination by going UFA and he most certainly would have plenty of interest from teams.

It's not guaranteed that Seattle would pick him though.  Vancouver could do something sneaky like back-load the contract....  

2020-21  4 million 

2021-22  6.5 million 

2022-23  6.5 million  

His cap hit would be 5.67 mil/year, but Seattle would be looking at 6.5 million of cash money to pay out.  Not as attractive as perhaps taking Gaudette on the cheap. 

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

What quality player wouldn't want security in the back half of his career? 

Particularly when he hasn’t ‘hit it big’ on any previous contract to date.  He’s paid his dues with the club and earned that right.  It’s a question of whether the club can afford it (cap wise).

Unless one thinks Demko can start 60+ games next season (something he’s never done in his career & remember this offseason isn’t going to be as long as usual Likely), we better make an upgrade on the blueline (defensively) or re-sign Tanev because signing an average backup veteran goalie isn’t remotely going to play as good as Markstrom for those thirty something games.  That alone could cost us a playoff spot.

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's not guaranteed that Seattle would pick him though.  Vancouver could do something sneaky like back-load the contract....  

2020-21  4 million 

2021-22  6.5 million 

2022-23  6.5 million  

His cap hit would be 5.67 mil/year, but Seattle would be looking at 6.5 million of cash money to pay out.  Not as attractive as perhaps taking Gaudette on the cheap. 

Lol at Gaudette over Markstrom (from an expansion franchise point of view).  Getting a legit starting goalie gives them a chance to win many nights.  You can’t say that about Gaudette.  Seattle doesn’t have a cheap owner like the Sens.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Unfortunately I can't see us keeping both Demko and Markstrom thru the expansion draft after next season.

I say Sign Marky to a 4yr@$5.5M cap hit

Demko's trade value is extremely high right now, it has never been higher after his playoff performance

Perhaps trade Demko with Louii + some other cap dump like Bear maybe with some retention

IMHO, the only way to eliminate these burdenous contracts is to package Demko with them

Find a good young Goalie in the under $2M range that Ian Clarke can work with to get us up to 20 starts next season

We have the best Goalie Coach in the League, take advantage of that

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

His agent would just have to point to the massive amount of crap in the bottom six or press box that got big paydays with terms. Be silly to ask the guy that carried the team on his back to take anything less.

Get some of those overpaid players to give Marky money 'under the table'.:P  Not like they've earned it unlike Marky.

This likely Markstroms last kick at the cat. It'll be retirement after this next contract. He has a family to support for the next 50 years, his agent will not get a further commission from Markstrom. Every thing points towards maximizing not only salary but term. I'd be shocked at a short term home town discount or no NTC 

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol at Gaudette over Markstrom (from an expansion franchise point of view).  Getting a legit starting goalie gives them a chance to win many nights.  You can’t say that about Gaudette.  Seattle doesn’t have a cheap owner like the Sens.

C'mon dude, it's Monday morning...  let a man dream. 

4 hours ago, BPA said:

What if Marky really wants to stay here?  And is willing to accept a $4M x 5yr deal with a full NMC for 2 yr and limited NTC for the last 3 yrs.

I'd be tempted to re-sign.

:)

Why? Who would sign that bargain deal knowing he could be exposed to the expansion draft? An NTC doesn't protect you from the expansion draft. If Marky is going to give a bargain deal the first year would have a NMC. I doubt he signs anywhere without it unless it's a really big payday. Pay me enough and I'll play anywhere, otherwise there's the NMC included to take less for a place I want to be.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Why? Who would sign that bargain deal knowing he could be exposed to the expansion draft? An NTC doesn't protect you from the expansion draft. If Marky is going to give a bargain deal the first year would have a NMC. I doubt he signs anywhere without it unless it's a really big payday. Pay me enough and I'll play anywhere, otherwise there's the NMC included to take less for a place I want to be.

I said NMC for the first 2 yrs and NTC for the last 3 yrs.  This means Canucks have to protect him from the Seattle expansion draft.

2 hours ago, Beefcake said:

Or plan B, we trade Demko and another piece for a top 4 Defensemen , sign a backup goalie and hope Di Pietro can be a goalie of the future

This is something I've suggested by for picks rather than the d-man. Benning said he'd be looking at the possibility of moving young players and adding picks for this draft. Ottawa has a boatload of picks this year and a ton of cap space. If Demko's value is comparable to Schneider's he worth a top ten pick on his own. We've seen previously a top ten pick traded for a pair of mid first picks. What if we traded Demko to Ottawa for the 28th, 33rd and 58th picks. That's considerably less than a top 10 or two mid firsts so they take Louie in the deal. They'd still have 3, 5, 51,59, 63 & 70 in the first three rounds and a the young goalie goalie they need to build around. Re-signing Markstrom for four or five years allows ample time for our goalie prospects to develop plus it unloads a contract, with only 5m over two years left, giving us an additional 6m cap space. The question is would they be willing to part with 3 picks in one draft (they'd still have 10 picks) to get a young quality goalie.

21 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

This.

If Markstrom is determined to remain here, with the Canucks, then this is the only way he can achieve this goal. NTCs do not help in preventing being taken in an expansion draft. Perhaps he could do something without a NMC by getting a really weird contract which would price him out of everyone's budget, but then likely the Canucks couldn't even afford him.

regards,  G.

I think Benning wants to sign him to a 2-3 year deal. The way he talked was like the cap is going to flat for the next 2 years and we can work something out with him to pay him maybe a little more for shorter term and that way if he does get taken in the expansion draft he's on a shorter term and not stuck in Seattle. I think it's really risky for Markstrom though if someone is offering him 7 years 7-8m which I think is what Buffalo would be offering him. 

I got that impression anyways. 

Edited by peaches5