The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Washington name Peter Laviolette as head coach

Rate this topic

mll

52 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

insane how much these coaches get paid.  

I don't find it insane whatsoever myself.  By itself yeah it's a lot of money, but comparatively speaking it isn't high for coaches in major pro sports.  Even many NCAA football coaches get more than a lot of NHL coaches. 

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

what does travis green make?  1/6 of that? insane how much these coaches get paid.   It might explain why Calgary cheaped out on their coach. 

Trotz signed a 4 year deal with Washington worth 6m and it had a clause extend him with a 300k raise if he won the Stanley Cup. After he signed that Babcock got 50m from The Leafs, 6.25m per year, and then Quenville, Julien, AV all got massive contracts averaging 4-6m. So coaches used to make about 1.5m until The Leafs came in and decided to give Babcock 50m. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, whatever the amount is, I think Washington got it right with a 3 year deal.  You cannot sign a coach for 5 years+ like the Leafs and Habs did with Julien and Babcock.  After that you are stuck with them and can't move on.   Re-sign them after a couple of years if you think they do a good job.

What is the average turnover on coaches anyways?  Can't be more than 3 years I would think.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Did Mike Babcock mess up the interview? Couldn't have been money if Peter gets $4 million. 

Well...

The Leafs still owe Babs near $20Mill.  They would have had to pay a lot more than $4Mill to make it worth his time.

Toronto, of course. Would only agree to release him to coach for Washington if he waived much of, or Wash took over his salary.

That said; Laviolette could be exactly the gunning play style required considering they still have John Carlson, Kuznetsov, Ovi, Vrana, Oshie, Backstrom...

And even that said; Laviolette became a reasonable defensive coach in Nashville. But I assume he is being hired to resume his high tempo style, considering the cache of high power forwards, lack of depth behind Carlson. He certainly does not have the D he had in Nashville, and he did not bother with defense so much before he arrived in Trotz's footsteps there,,,