The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ekblad?

Provost

I feel like I’m a pretty big homer but I don’t think anything mentioned comes close to getting Ekblad out of Florida.  We’re talking a 24 year old former 1OA pick who’s consistently putting up 35-40 points a year.  If I was the Panther’s GM I’d be asking for the moon. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

It is probably in the ballpark, Florida certainly doesn’t hang up with that starting the discussion.  What assets would really be off limits in a trade really?

Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller?  I think the list ends there of guys that are untouchable.

If they are really desperate to shed salary, as long as they are eating cap hit from us, we can take more salary from them.

Our one “bonus” is the number of guys we have that have high cap hits and low actual salaries to even out numbers while saving them real money.  I am not saying those are valuable guys, it just helps make the puzzle work.  Toronto would kill to have Ekblad... why would Florida want any of their guys coming back?  They earn as much or more in real dollars as Ekblad so don’t accomplish the result Florida (purportedly) needs to.  There would be few teams who would want to take on that salary and cap hit without sending money back.  Our “money sent back” is mostly in cap hit and not cash.

It is probably a moot point as I can’t see Florida moving him, but as folks have said... is there a better partner for Hughes?  If we could add that piece with effectively not adding any cap hit that would be crazy...

Zito says he wasn't imposed an internal budget.  The aim is to build a competitive team.  He was even allowed to bring in staff.  A lot of teams are cutting salary and he's adding.

Who plays defence for Florida if they trade him?  

Edited by mll

18 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I feel like I’m a pretty big homer but I don’t think anything mentioned comes close to getting Ekblad out of Florida.  We’re talking a 24 year old former 1OA pick who’s consistently putting up 35-40 points a year.  If I was the Panther’s GM I’d be asking for the moon. 

You’d be asking for a ton.  Ekblad has not reached his ceiling yet!

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Zito says he wasn't imposed an internal budget.  The aim is to build a competitive team.  He was even allowed to bring in staff.  A lot of teams are cutting salary and he's adding.

Who plays defence for Florida if they trade him?  

I don’t believe what any GM says to the press on issues like this.

Saying he needed to cut salary would put him at a negotiating disadvantage even if he did need to cut salary.  Not every team is like Arizona who publicly announces a scorched earth policy.  No one really has any idea what his internal cap might be.

Friedman also goes on to say that his impression is that they were going to move one of their big ticket D.  Ekblad is the biggest ticket and doesn’t have trade protection like the guys below him.

They have quite a few D (Yandle, Stralman, Mathewson) so it isn’t like they would be out of guys to play the position.  They also have a good prospect pool of cheaper young guys coming up like Priskie.

Edited by Provost

His defensive game has certainly improved, thank god, but his slow footspeed is hampering him from being a legit all around #1 defenseman. And while it's not the end-all his Corsi and Fenwick numbers, both raw and relative, are solidly in the middle in comparison to the rest of the Panthers team

Florida fans have watched him play unlike every single one of you, and I will gladly take their word that Ekblad is a slow defender who doesn't transition up the ice well.

He'll get your 40-50pts, he'll smack a brother to the boards, but if you guys want an offensively adept but weaker in the neutral zone Myers than have at er.

Ekblad isn't this saint that's gonna help take us anywhere special.

I don't rate Ekblad too highly. Hes been in Florida for years and hasn't been able to help them find any success. Obviously I dont watch him play, but with the high price of getting someone like him, I dont think it's worth it at all.

If anything, why not move cap and target Pietrangelo, a proven #1 Dman with cup success. 

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t believe what any GM says to the press on issues like this.

Saying he needed to cut salary would put him at a negotiating disadvantage even if he did need to cut salary.  Not every team is like Arizona who publicly announces a scorched earth policy.  No one really has any idea what his internal cap might be.

Friedman also goes on to say that his impression is that they were going to move one of their big ticket D.  Ekblad is the biggest ticket and doesn’t have trade protection like the guys below him.

They have quite a few D (Yandle, Stralman, Mathewson) so it isn’t like they would be out of guys to play the position.  They also have a good prospect pool of cheaper young guys coming up like Priskie.

It's more likely Yandle than Ekblad.  Stralman has 2 years left and slowed down.  Matheson has been a healthy scratch and even tried at F.  

That opposing GM also says it has to make sense.  Moving Ekblad doesn't really make sense.  They wish to retain Barkov and need to ice at least a competitive team.  Removing the best elements is not going to help them compete.  They have significant problems on defence and need to upgrade.