The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign Zach Bogosian

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I mean... if we can get Vatanen for less than 2 million, sure... but he is small.  Like another d-man who just signed with Detroit.

Vatanen is on the smaller side, and we could use more side on the backend. What we need even more than size are good puck movers that can get the puck out of our own end without just panicking and throwing it up the boards or just flipping it up high into the neutral zone onto the oppositions stick. He should help in that regard. 

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too bad Benning didn’t pick up Bogosian. Not sure what Benning has up his sleeve, but I’m assuming a trade of some sort might happen. If not? Yikes. 

It terrifies me that in an interview before free agency, Benning mentioned Chatfield and Rafferty both being ready for the big leagues. Either one of them playing sheltered minutes, sure no problem. But if we go into next year with our D right side looking like Myers, Rafferty and Chatfield, then we’re probably in trouble. 

I can’t help but think Benning has a game plan to bring in another sold RHD. At least I really, really hope he does. 

1 minute ago, YearoftheNuck said:

It terrifies me that in an interview before free agency, Benning mentioned Chatfield and Rafferty both being ready for the big leagues. Either one of them playing sheltered minutes, sure no problem. But if we go into next year with our D right side looking like Myers, Rafferty and Chatfield, then we’re probably in trouble. 

I can’t help but think Benning has a game plan to bring in another sold RHD. At least I really, really hope he does. 

He's obviously not done. Just the amount of 'panic' is hilarious. Do people just expect the teams to finish their roster after two days of free agency?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

That has nothing to do with what you plan to have on your roster though.

Those guys are near NHL ready.

In the same sense, so is Juolevi, so is Rathbone, so is Brisebois and Sautner....and in saying so, it indicates literally no intent to pencil them into the lineup prematurely.

It refers to players that can be called upon as depth - and who will have an opportunity to compete for (depth) spots, otherwise there will be other additions, and those guys would have to command a spot by outcompeting someone to earn it.  The Canucks will not be gifting those spots to Chatfield and Rafferty at this point - that is entirely unrealistic.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I have to think that Benning has some (?) plan in place to bring in a proven right handed defenseman to play with Quinn. That should be his primary mission right now. Having an elite offensive defenseman without a proper line mate is a huge mistake. 

I wonder if Benning is thinking of trading one of the anchor type contracts in Eriksson or Sutter with Virtanen or Gaudette and a pick or prospect to open up cap space to take a run at Pietrangelo. 

• Cheers 2