The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Feel free to put an asterisk on a great trade if you want if that makes you feel better. It's like winning a Cup due to circumstances, who cares, you won the Cup. In this case, we won the sweepstakes and all it cost was a 3rd in 2022. Anything else you would've wanted Benning to do to get this deal would've lost us this deal. And surely it would be a terrible decision to not move a 3rd in 2022 to get a player of Schmidt's calibre, no?

Put an asterisk next to TBL cup win please no travel no real cup win

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

then Benning could have leverage more 

And how would Benning be privileged to that information?

Where Schmidt wanted to go or not would have only been known by McCrimmon and Schmidt.

There was no leverage other than Vegas needing to clear cap which Benning paid a very low price to get done.

He used the leverage he had perfectly. If he had tried to squeeze a 4th out of them he very well could have killed the deal for little gain.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Many people said a first for a Miller was too much. This is so subjective, but of course, it's subjective to Canucks fans who expect to rip off teams in real life because they could do it on their NHL 2020 hockey game.

Miller for a 1st straight up would have been to much at the time but time would make it a perfect trade

• Wat 1

Just now, Darius said:

I know it’s a great trade when the cynical voices in the room start using “great” vs “really good” when describing the trade 

I know it's a perfect trade when those guys say it's "not a perfect trade, but it's really good".

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

And how would Benning be privileged to that information?

Where Schmidt wanted to go or not would have only been known by McCrimmon and Schmidt.

There was no leverage other than Vegas needing to clear cap which Benning paid a very low price to get done.

He used the leverage he had perfectly. If he had tried to squeeze a 4th out of them he very well could have killed the deal for little gain.

McCrimmon Phones Benning says you want my guy would have been the first clue

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And they wouldn't give a damn about your asterisk as they have their names engraved on the Cup.

You would rather potentially lose out on a trade in pursuit of the perfect/great trade. Benning prefers to get the deal done. I prefer Benning's method.

I didn't say that.

I like the Trade

But people cant call it a great trade come on there where reasons this happen that Benning got it so cheap 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

I didn't say that I like the Trade

But people cant call it a great trade come on there where reasons this happen that Benning got it so cheap 

And Benning got it so cheap, no other GM did because they offered even less. Benning got the deal done with the lowest Vegas was willing to make it happen for us. End of story.

• Cheers 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

And Benning got it so cheap, no other GM did because they offered even less. Benning got the deal done with the lowest Vegas was willing to make it happen for us. End of story.

No Vegas had to do a trade 

they where offer the cap  more then 10%

That forced them to make a trade 

All I am saying is a great trade would have been some cap retention

this is a Really good trade 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

...... VEGAS HAS NO ROOM TO RETAIN SALARY. THIS IS WHY THEY HAD TO MOVE SCHMIDT. DO YOU PAY ANY ATTENTION AT ALL??? A #2, HELL EVEN A #3 or #4dman for a 2022 3rd round pick is a steal. The chances of that 3rd round pick turning into a quality NHLer is low. Like less than 10%. First round picks dont even pan out. We essentially paid nothing to get a #2 dman. That is a GREAT trade.

A #3 or #4 dman would still be a GREAT trade.
Draft picks are an uncertainty, a #2 dman is a guarantee. Vegas may draft a guy who never gets a sniff of the show. Meanwhile, Schmidt becomes a key player on our team.

Benning used all his leverage to instantly bolster our defense, without breaking the bank or mortgaging the future. Patience was key and he took advantage of the situation, the fact there wasnt a prospect or another pick involved is what makes it a great trade.

I don't ignore them because I am entertained by the stupidity. He's splitting hairs about what is a "really good trade" and a "great" trade. Because we apparently didn't make them eat cap for our pristine 3rd round pick, it's not a great trade. LOL.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Ah.......

Schmidt for LE.

Now that would have been the perfect trade.  But probably would have JB getting some dirt on Vegas GM to make it happen. 

I blame JB for not getting that dirt.

No, apparently Vegas would have had to retain salary on Schmidt in order for it to be a perfect trade.....:lol:

Edited by Sweathog
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Vegas put themselves in a position to have to do this trade

Benning was there and had the ability to do it

A great trade would have been if they retained salary or gave the Canucks a draft pick as well maybe a forth really put the heels into them

Okay lets just use an example for draft picks

Yakupov former first overall, for Schmidt.

One for one.

Do you do it?

knowing what a first overall pick ended up being, you would not make that trade in a million years.

Now lets just paint that picture for you a little more.... We traded a THIRD ROUND  Draft pick in TWENTY-TWENTYTWO.

Nail Yakupov was a FIRST OVERALL. How well did that first overall pick work out???? Probably about the same as a future 3rd round pick.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2